Author Topic: Free Antivirus  (Read 1047 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Free Antivirus
« on: October 25, 2005, 05:43:10 PM »
Anybody know of any good free antivirus software?  Or any that is very cheap?  I'm broke, but I want to protect my computer now that I have it all nice and clean and connected again.

Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Free Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 06:30:58 PM »
SE recommends grisoft.com. I haven't tried it myself, but he says it works.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 06:43:44 PM »
Yes!

I use AVG Free (provided by Grisoft).  It's a freeware Antivirus program that seems to do a very good job.  I know it's been highly rated, as well.

In addition, I highly recommend you download SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.4 (I think it's technically Shareware).  It'll hunt down and remove much spyware/adware that AntiVirus programs seem to miss (and can help immunize you from further problems).

Finally, if you lack a Firewall, ZoneAlarm is free and seems to do an adequate job.

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 06:44:14 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »
I also personally use AVG and it's quite good.
I also use both adaware and spybot - each tend to catch things the other misses.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 10:36:46 PM »
I use Avast! it's just as good as Norton or Mcaffe and updated 3-5 times a week.

www.avast.com
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 03:30:14 AM »
Thanks, y'all.  I set up AVG and spybot and ad-aware, which ALREADY found freaking tracking cookies on my system.  Lame.  I also have Windows Firewall from SP2, hopefully that'll work.  Maybe I should set up Zonealarm too.  With my luck, there's never too much protection.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 10:55:39 AM »
I've heard that the rule of thumb is to use any firewall besides the one provided with XP, which apparently isn't very good. So go with Zonealarm, I'm thinking.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 11:01:44 AM »
the firewall in XP is good for what it is, but you should allwayse have one that's part of your router in addition to any that's just on your PC.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 12:13:31 PM »
Sorry I didn't post myself last night. I was already an hour late. I haven't been getting home before 7pm lately. *sigh*

Here are my software recommendations, in case anyone wants to know. They're all freeware.

Anti-Virus: AVG Free Edition. It lacks some of the functions of the full version, but, it will update and run scheduled scans and do active scans. I use it on both home computers, and neither has ever had a problem. Unlike my work computer, which uses Norton.

Firewall:  I have a version Sygate from when they allowed a freeware version. I think Symantec nixed that when they bought out Sygate. Go with ZoneAlarm instead. The Sygate Personal Firewall was a bit technical too, which was fine for me, but might not be for everyone.

Spyware prevention: You really need at least two.
Spybot S&D has excellent active protection against registry changes as well as spyware scans. This is good for stupid things like GAIN that download other crap. In conjunction, I recommend also scanning once in a while with Ad-Aware. They will both find stuff the other won't.

In addition to all this, I currently am in love with Ewido, which does mal-ware, virii, trojans, spyware, etc. There's a free scan available online, and you can download a free copy. Unfortunately, active protection only lasts for thirty days unless you buy (though at $30 it is totally worth it), but updates and manual system scans are completely free without obligation. When I recently had an attack at work, Ewido was the only thing that could get a number of the problems cleared up.

There are other tools too, but ones I don't feel necessary unless you're in a high risk environment or are already infected. One of these is 3S Security Suite, which mostly just does clean up of cookies and tracking. Clean Up! is another useful tool for similar purposes. TDS was an excellend trojan hunter/killer, but they've stopped production.

Finally, just because different tools are good to use, you might want to scan with some of the online scanners from time to time. Here are a few:

Kapersky
Panda Active Scan
Trend Micro (Java based, if that bugs you)
eTrust

Obviously, I don't do all this all the time. I keep Spybot, a firewall, and my AV active, and I scan with the others when I think about it. I end up maybe once a month. I let the AV scheduled scans go. It seems to keep me trouble free, and once they're installed, i'm not hasseled at all.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 12:20:33 PM »
Also for spyware if you've got a legal version of XP you should have Microsoft's anti-spyware it's flat out the best.  It can scan your whole system in a few minutes as well as it's always running and warns you if anything tries to install itself on your PC.

After installing that and Avast! I have never had a single virus or spyware on my desktop.  I don't even use any of the other programs anymore since I don't need them.

Again I'd like to reiterate how good Avast is, I turned down free McAffee from UVSC because I didn't want to switch.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 12:23:18 PM by Spriggan »

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 02:26:30 PM »
I've never had any problems, either, using AVG.

I can't figure out how to use the WinXp anti-spyware software.  However, with SpyBot, I haven't been too worried about it.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."