Author Topic: Mistborn Video Game Proposal (Long Read)  (Read 8162 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Video Game Proposal (Long Read)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 12:39:20 AM »
I'm in for beta testing!
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 02:31:07 AM »
would this be in third person perspective or first? HL2 is in first but it seems a game like this would be best in third...
lol i am probably talking about something that is more like a final detail that will show off my noobishness of all things related to programming...
Well, while 3rd person would be nice, it's also very common. . . . I'm wondering how well it would go over in 1st.

Jakobus - HaHa.  That'll be a while. xD

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 03:01:34 AM »
I've got 3 things to look forward to: AMoL, HoA, and slipknot's new album, now this mod, :) I'm a very patient person.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 03:51:49 AM »
would this be in third person perspective or first? HL2 is in first but it seems a game like this would be best in third...
lol i am probably talking about something that is more like a final detail that will show off my noobishness of all things related to programming...
Well, while 3rd person would be nice, it's also very common. . . . I'm wondering how well it would go over in 1st.

I agree with Miyabi here.  First person will be the choice for now.  It will be much easier on us since we only have to worry about the 'gun' being show for the player and a HUD.

About the whole permission thing...we don't really HAVE to have his permission to make this game.  We will be making no money, hence why it is a mod.  It would be sweet if he were to post and say that he is okay with it though. 

Besides...if we finish it and he says that he doesnt want us to release it...we will just have to name it 'Fogborn' and change the metals to different plastics that the Fogborns can burn ;)

haha..jk...we would all like to have you permission Brandon.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 04:18:06 AM »

I agree with Miyabi here.  First person will be the choice for now.  It will be much easier on us since we only have to worry about the 'gun' being show for the player and a HUD.

About the whole permission thing...we don't really HAVE to have his permission to make this game.  We will be making no money, hence why it is a mod.  It would be sweet if he were to post and say that he is okay with it though. 

Besides...if we finish it and he says that he doesnt want us to release it...we will just have to name it 'Fogborn' and change the metals to different plastics that the Fogborns can burn ;)

haha..jk...we would all like to have you permission Brandon.
FOGBORN! HA HA HA HA HA HA! SOunds like a sickness.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 06:27:44 AM »
Writing. I'd like to work on the writing.

Three houses in Luthadel? Or perhaps one from the outside (like Cett)? And are we just doing multi-player, or campaigns, rpg, co-op?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 06:38:17 AM »

Three houses in Luthadel? Or perhaps one from the outside (like Cett)? And are we just doing multi-player, or campaigns, rpg, co-op?
I definitely think that RPG would be easies to do at first, but I think the goal was for a Multi-player.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »

Thanks for volunteering.  I have an idea that you can do in regards to writing.  You can draw/setup how the different menus are going to look.

What I mean is that we are going to need a screen/menu for when they launch the game...what will they see.  What does the screen look like when the user is filling their vial?  What does the HUD look like in a game?  Stuff like that.

To go into a little bit more detail:

If you actually decide to help us you and do this, make sure that the following criteria is met:

Vial Selection Screen:
  • Needs to have a picture of an empty vial at first which fills up whenever they add the different metals to it.  This can be on the left
  • On the right hand part of the screen needs to be 8 small pictures of something that represents each metal.  Maybe these pictures can be the same pics from the metal chart in the back of the Mistborn books.
  • Also, if the user mouses over a picture of pewter, then a small description of pewter, what it does, what is the name of the 'class' that is well known for using it (Thug) and such and such...

Heads Up Display (HUD)
  • This is what the user will mostly see.  As this will be the items on screen while they are playing the game
  • This is going to need the normal stuff (minimap, 'spell' bar, experience bars (for the metals and for general),HP
  • We will also have to add things that our game needs.  For instance, we will need a smaller picture of a vial which represents how much of each metal the Mistborn still has.  Every time 1mL of anything is burned away, then the vial needs to show that difference

I can not think of anything else off the top of my head, but you should get a general idea.

Whenever you are finished with this, can you get it to me somehow?  Through email or something?

As far as the three houses, I don't remember the names of them really.  I guess that Cett could work if we can not find three good house names to fight each other in the city.  I was sort of thinking that each map in this game will be inspired by a different section of Luthadel.

And on to your other question.  Yes the game is going to be FPS multiplayer.  RPG would be too complicated as we would have to have voice acting, a ton of different models for the Mistborn to connect with and communicate with.  There would have to be a story and a many different levels that would have to be rather large.  So for now, it will just be multiplayer games.  If this mod actually gets largely popular maybe we can add on a single player section.  But for now, we are just focused on multiplayer.

Thanks again for showing interest in this game.  I hope that one day soon we can all play it and have a blast together.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:04:31 PM by holt »

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
miyabi and anyone else who is interested in coding for this mod...

the following link is FILLED with information that will help you out.  If it Valve's own wiki...so everything should be right and good to follow.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 10:15:24 PM »
the funny thing about designing the UI is that isn't writing.

Oh well. I'll see what I can come up with, but it will prolly not be fabulous artwork. I could describe it well...

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 01:43:39 AM »
the funny thing about designing the UI is that isn't writing.

Oh well. I'll see what I can come up with, but it will prolly not be fabulous artwork. I could describe it well...
This type of assignment is being given now because we don't actually have the stuff to start making quests yet.

Although you could probably start on writing a few of those as well if you like.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 08:17:42 AM »
Point. I'll see what I can do.

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
Quests...this is a multiplayer game.  There are no quests in this type of game.  This is just going to be a deathmatch, team deathmatch (with the three houses), or Capture the Flag.  All of those are the typical HalfLife2 multiplayer games.

The reason why we have experience is the make each player different.  You don't get the xp by doing quests, you get it by killing players with pewter burning.  Or flying over buildings. Or affecting people with rioting/soothing and the such.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 05:03:44 PM »
usually you don't have experience in a pure player vs player game...it means the kids who play all day and have no life are way to powerful for the casual player.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 09:22:46 PM »
Wait, so you're wanting like. . . an FPS?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。