Local Authors > Matthew Buckley

Deseret Book buys Seagull and Covenant Communications.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Fellfrosch:
I'd like to think that this will prompt better contracts and better promotion, but I'm almost too much of a cynic to believe it. The big problem, as Mustard says, is going to be distribution and a bigger, stupider monopoly.

House of Mustard:
There's a really fantastic analysis over at A Motley Vision.  http://www.motleyvision.org/?p=306

stacer:
The idea of some of the better books, especially the ones like Mustard's with a little more national appeal, getting better marketing is certainly appealing. But it's still the bookselling angle of it that bugs me. In the LDS market, DB becomes the only option, and they'll be promoting their own books over any smaller publisher's or those of a publisher like mine, mainstream but trying to sell into niche markets for which their books fit. (Star Sisterz is a great example of that--empowering fantasy for tween girls that would do great in an LDS market if people just knew about them, because good values underlie a great story).

Which reminds me, Mustard... Did you ever read those books?

House of Mustard:
Holy crap, yes, and I keep forgetting to write you an email.  One would think that reading four books would be the hard part and writing the email would be simple, but that's not the way I roll.  You'll have it before Monday. 

Sorry!

Peter Ahlstrom:
Oh my.

I totally agree with your comment on that Motley Vision thread, stacer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version