Local Authors > Writing Group

non-battle scenes

(1/4) > >>

Shiael:
        Recently, I am having a bit of trouble coming up with the mundane, space-filling scenes. They always come up short or I find myself rambling. My detail is fine, and I don't want to bore mself not to mention my readers.       

Anyway, any advice?

Silk:
This is going to be a really broad answer, but hopefully it's helpful anyway.

First some clarification is in order: Are you writing non-battle scenes, or space-filling scenes? They're two quite different things, I'd argue. And if the scenes you're writing only serve to take up space... I might question why you're writing them. :)

As for writing mundane scenes, they're not inherently less interesting or anything. You must have some conflict other than people whacking the heck out of each other, can you exploit it? And there must be a reason your people are fighting--can you explain it, resolve it, make it worse, that kind of thing?

Okay, well, that was just as sweepingly broad a suggestion as I said it would be. Sorry about that--hard to be more specific without more information though. Hopefully it helps anyway?

Shiael:
it does help. however, let me rephrase. by space filling, I meant time filling, like when peole travel from one point to another and there are no physical battles involved. I get what you say about the change in argument, though.

fireflyz:
Every scene should do something.  Move the story forward, develop characters, develop interaction, thicken the plot, etc.  If you're characters are moving from point a to b and it's boring then either they need to discuss something that moves the plot and is interesting or we need to see vibrantly through a character's eyes what is going on around them (that also gives us insight into who they are).  Or something could happen to them a long the way.  If you just need them to move from one point to another, why not skip that and start the next chapter with them arriving?

Shiael:
Alrighty, I'll do that. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version