Author Topic: The Fall Lineup  (Read 1427 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
The Fall Lineup
« on: June 27, 2003, 11:08:56 AM »
Well I've done some planning and decided to do no Impulse buying this year when it comes to RPG's.

With that in mind I have planned my fall lineup.

I think I want to see what Harn is about, a costly experience since Harnmaster is almost 40 bucks. Plus I want to get a copy of Harn Player 29.99 for the players to read through. (Its a rules lite version of the HM rules)

I need the sourcebook Harnworld a also 29.99 and I really like the look of the Harn Heraldic maps. Of course if I dont like Harn Master I sure as heck am not going to spring for the other stuff.  My Harn Budget comes to about 114 bucks.

I also want to pick up a few books for the Hero system
Primarily Champions and the new Champions book Until Superpowers database (a book with tons of premade superpowers just waiting for a hero to snap em up)
I might also get Star Hero.

I plan to buy Pendragon and maybe the intro- book of knights

I also want to pick up Lace and Steel.

So thats roughly 230 bucks from now till next year which isn't unreasonable since I dont really do clicks or cards and Im pretty much caught up in my other games.

If anyones got these games or played them (Lace and Steel or Harn) and you have an opinon about them, good or bad. Write and tell me.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fall Lineup
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 12:46:30 AM »
Harn never impressed me much.  Lace & Steel, on the other hand, is an old favorite.  I originally picked it up because it was written by a fellow Australian (who happens to also be the author of several damned good fantasy novels, most with a scorching and somewhat X-rated sense of humor). The game is a swashbuckler's delight, including rules for magic, courtly challenges, and even cross-racial pregnancies.  I have the original version, with the rotten artwork, but the game itself is a must-have, simply because it evokes the spirit of the genre so perfectly.  It is also one f the very few games where I have played a female character: Lady Elegance Swallowtail, the cavalier of Bristol, consort of the Purple Mage, champion ballroom dancer, and all-around instigator of low humor and ribald puns.  And she has faerie blood, no less.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 11:30:33 AM »
I'm planning on picking up some Pendragon stuff. That's most of my RPG/game purchasing in the near future.

I haven't played any of the above. but Lace and Steel sounds interesting. Let me check it out when you grab it.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 01:41:50 PM »
yeah I will, its a PDF through RPG.now.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 05:31:24 PM »
I decided against Harn due to the fact that I have a ton of Kalamar books and thats kind of the same ilk.

I decided to replace the expense of Harn with the Marvel Universe RPG... and have just
bought the main book already.

I intend to get the X-men, Hulk and Spiderman titles instead of the assorted Harn books.