Author Topic: D&D PrCs  (Read 1453 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
D&D PrCs
« on: May 26, 2004, 12:14:28 PM »
The main intent I have for this thread is to allow us to share notes about cool PrCs we've found for D&D (and other games too, I guess) on the web or elsewhere. As to the one that got me excited enough to post this...

I downloaded the new web supplement on Wizard's site for Complete Divine, and found a Moon Guardian PrC there that looks really cool. I've always disliked the Monster Manual rules for Lycanthropes that played hackey-sack with your alignment. (as playing a werewolf would be really cool, but switching to Chaotic Evil (usually) sucks)

This PrC, however, allows you to be a werewolf without changing alignment. I also like the fact that it takes class levels to do so, since spending effort on mastering the beast within is kudos for roleplaying material. Very cool.

The doc is found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a

I have reservations about the requirements (should only lvl 5+ divine casters be able to pray for deliverance from alignment change and be heard?) but the class creators also put in notes that almost encourage the DM to modify the reqs to whatever is necessary.

My take on handling the situation as a DM? First, make the PC a werewolf, full out. Start stripping class levels to make room for Werewolf HD and level adjustments (there should be a penalty for this, after all, but be careful not to tick off the player) and use Savage progression material if they don't have enough levels to manage that or aren't willing to sacrifice them. The requirements for the Moon Guardian should be entirely based on roleplaying, in my opinion. Let them struggle with the lycanthropy for a little while, and if they still haven't succumbed to the beast on their next level up, let them move into Moon Guardian.

Once there, if they have divine spellcasting levels already, great. The class works. If not, I'd count the even-level caster level increases as Druid spellcaster levels, as that works best with the theme. (Unless, of course they have a nature god for a patron diety, and then they could take Cleric spellcaster levels.)

Oh, and Knowledge(nature), possibly even Knowledge(Dungeoneering) should be on the class list. It doesn't feel quite like a perfectly-made PrC, but on the whole, I think it's very cool.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 12:15:52 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: D&D PrCs
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 06:30:24 PM »
What did you think of the updated Master Of Shrouds?  It has weaker skill list, weak Fort saves, and 1/2 caster level progression in exchange for continued Rebuke Undead and ability to summon incorporeal undead.  Incorporeal undead are strong, but all of the listed undead it would be possible to simply create and command using create greater undead and have them permanently under your control along with any they create themselves.  Of course, you need to be a 15th level cleric to cast create greater undead unless you get a scroll or something, so you can potentially get them eariler.  It would also let you exceed your normal limit for a short time compared to just using Rebuke Undead, and being surrounded by a dozen spectres or wraiths is very bad news unless you are immune to ability drain and energy drain.  Overall its kinda weak, but I still like it.

Moon Guardian is cool, but mostly useful if you got infected.  If you were a born lycanthrope, then Warshaper PrC I think is better.  It also lets you change form quickly and gives improved damage with natural weapons, immunity to crits in animal and hybrid form, a +4 to Str/Con, and fast healing 2 for a 5 level class.  Its in Complete Warrior.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 06:45:53 PM »
For natural Lycanthropes, I doubt that avoiding alignment change would even be an issue. (I still hate they way they implemented lycanthropy, but what can I say. Moon guardian at least makes it better.) I'm sure there are better PrCs out there, and Moon Guardian might need a little boost to bring it up to par, but it's a relatively short PrC that would make for cool roleplaying. That's why I like it. One cool option they could've added was a sixth level to the PrC that allowed Moon Guardians to achieve natural lycanthrope status. Granted, you wouldn't really be natural, but it would still be cool.

I do like the new Master of Shrouds better than the old version, but that really isn't saying all that much. The old version was just plain awful. This one looks like it could be pretty explosive in power. Even if the incorporeal undead don't last very long, they are quite scary. Far too many of those things can do permanent ability damage to PCs, and I'd be pretty careful to Plan A. Not tick off the Master of Shouds or Plan B. Be very careful about fighting their critters.

I also did notice while I was looking into lycanthropy more in conjunction with this Moon Guardian class that the level adjustment for a Werebear and a Wererat is exactly the same. Even if you say that the higher HD of a Werebear will offset some of the gains, that's psychotic. Lycanthropes are just plain broken.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 06:47:36 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 07:32:17 PM »
All lycanthropes have the same level adjustment: +2 for infected, +3 for natural.  Some are probably better than others, but its set up like it is to make it easy to invent any type of lycantrope you wanted.  Its really very simple to make a werebat lycanthrope that would match up all the official rules even though werebats are not given an example.

I think with the  HD, the lycanthropes are pretty well balanced.  The extra HD can make a big difference when you look at the different classes and such that you could be using them toward instead.  The wererat has less attribute bonuses in hybrid form, but he also will have 5 more class levels and/or play him up to 5 levels sooner.  Unless the werebear is somehow large size in natural form, he also has to worry about changing shape w/ equipment.  Wererat has no such concern to change into hybrid form.  Just to keep his armor, the werebear would need Wild which is a +3 market price modifier... a +3 that the wererat could just be putting into his armor's enhancement bonus.

Some are still definatily better then others, but I think they are fairly balanced considering how easy the formula is to create any kind of lycanthrope you like.  This would be more of an issue of getting all the animals balanced for their HD, which is important for more than just lycantrope, like polymorph, wild shape, etc.  I'm guessing they already have done some work to keep animals balanced because of all the abilities that depend on them, they are probably just a little harder to balance than a template or level adjustment race like Half-Dragon and Planetouched.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 08:59:43 PM »
That's it.

I'm making a were-Koala. That will be something to be feared!
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 10:59:12 AM »
I suppose. The disadvantage of having equipment that doesn't stay with you nicely as under normal Wild Shape and Polymorph rules would keep the larger/more powerful Lycanthropes under control. The HD doesn't seem to help quite as much to me. While the Werewolf has 2 HD, for instance, the Werewolf Lord has 6, only four more, and is immeasurably better than a Werewolf. Add in that the animal forms generally get better HP for those HD, and it's hard to see it as balanced.

You're probably right about having to keep the LA standard though, or Lycanthropes would need their own splat just to make something that wasn't presented in the MM.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 01:49:11 AM »
I like the racial paragon classes in Unearthed Arcana.  They are 3 levels and the only requirement is to be of that particular race, and can even be taken as your 1st class level.

If you want an idea, here's the human paragon: cleric BAB, good Will saves, d8 HD, 4+Int skills (class skills are any 10 that you choose, knowledge have to be taken individually); proficent with simple weapons and light armor; 1st level, adaptive learning- choose any class skill to permanently make it a class skill of any/all classes you have/take; 2nd level, any bonus feat you meet the prerequisites of and +1 to any spellcasting; 3rd level, +2 increase to ability score of choice and +1 to any spellcasting

Humans are supposed to be really adaptable, other paragons are much more specific.  Elf paragon is a lot alike but the spellcasting increase is to wizard, the ability increase is to Intelligence, bonus feat is Weapon Focus with an elf weapon, and they get better low-light vision, racial bonus to spot/search nad enchantment saves increases by +2, and they have 2+Int skills with specific class skills.

There is even paragon classes for the half-races, and one of their 1st level specials is the ability to take levels in one of the other parent paragon class.  So a half-elf can take levels in half-elf /and/ human or elf.