Author Topic: Anime Night  (Read 2064 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Anime Night
« on: July 23, 2004, 01:22:30 PM »
I was chatting with EUOL recently, and I brought up the subject of having an anime night again. (It *has* been a while). He liked the idea, so I'm bringing it to the boards to see if anyone else is interested.

I'd be up for a few different anime shows, but the one I started out wanting to share was something my little brother found a while ago, Rah Xephon. I hadn't ever heard of it before, but everyone that's actually taken the time to sit down and watch it (42 says he doesn't like that type of show (whatever that means (I'm a programmer, I can nest parenthesis whenever I want))) and Spriggan says the parts he's seen look weird) have really enjoyed the series so far. I've got about 4 DVDs, although of course we don't have to watch them all. Fair warning though, Spriggan isn't entirely wrong. Rah Xephon feels a lot like Evangelion at times (not that weird but similar in flavor) and I don't recommend watching it unless you can sit down for at least the first three episodes...more preferably the whole five on the first DVD.

So that's what I'd want to show people. As I said before, I'd be interested to see what other people would be bringing to share as well. If need be, we can also schedule it a ways off to allow people outside of the immediate vicinity (like Fell, y'know) to participate. Probably sometime in August.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 07:49:15 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Re: Anime Night
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:27:39 PM »
Pfft.  If only I could attend.  I would suggest you watch some bowboy bebop, though.  It's not, technically, 'new', but it is very good.  And if ya'll haven't seen a movie called 'Grave of the Fireflies' I would recommend it... pfft... I wanna go...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 02:19:04 PM »
I think many of the people here have seen Grave of the Fireflies, and while it's one of my favorites, most found it just plain depressing.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 01:12:35 AM »
I also think many of the people have seen Cowboy Bebop, so try again.

We've got most of .hack//sign, if this were to happen at a time when I could actually come.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 04:32:08 AM »
dude, we had a Grave of the Fireflies anime night back when I was there. Except half of you decided to go somewhere else and watch Kenshin instead.

And I hated it and wished I'd gone to the Kenshin! Terrible movie...such an annoying little girl. Seita! Seita! People say it's such a good anti-war movie, but I see it as an anti-stupid-orphan-kid movie. Any kids who lose their parents, whether it be to war or car accident or whatnot, can make the exact same dumb decisions these ones made.

Another reason the movie bugged me is that the end was at the beginning, so I knew exactly what was going to happen before it even started.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 04:32:41 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 10:54:15 AM »
Hehe, ya they came to my place Ookla.  Ah those where the days, back where there was an anime TV series worth collecting.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 08:59:30 PM »
To bring this a bit back on topic, I'm interested--and the show we'd watch wouldn't be Fireflies or Bebop.  It would be this one that Nate recommended.  

I'm out of town the first two weeks of August.  Let's do it on one of the following weekends.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 04:43:09 AM »
I watched the first 8 episodes of RahXephon before it was licensed. It's cool. Can be a bit slow-moving. Opening song is good.

There's some really wacky giant robot-type-things, and some people with blue blood. And Jupiter, except I don't think they leave Earth. I definitely want to check out the rest someday.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 05:59:17 PM »
I just wanted to leave an option for a 2nd anime in case someone else was itching to show something. If we're not doing it the first two weekends in August, the 3rd should work fine...we probably should get it done before school starts up again, even if that's becoming less and less relevant.

August 20th (3rd Friday) sound good to people?

Oh, and Ookla's memory of Rah Xephon is mostly right. I won't spoil any surprises, though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 06:00:09 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 05:16:19 PM »
Well I haven't heard any objections to August 20th for the Anime Night. I know Kije had some questions about the details, but I forget what they are. I was kind of just waiting for people to say whether they're interested or not myself...

So...we're in the right month now, anyway. Spriggan had a question about which month EOUL said he was available, and he was talking about August earlier, so as far as *I* know it's a good time for him.

Let me know if you have questions about when/where/what/why/whatever and I'll do my best to make up something that sounds convincing.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 01:43:15 PM »
I know it's bad form to double/triple post, but I'm getting a little worried. I know there's got to be some miscellaneous issues I haven't considered yet about the setup of this whole thing, and there's only ten days left, but I'm not getting any responses.

If you're interested and have any questions at all, let me know.

Update: Only a few days left folks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 07:51:24 PM by Prometheus »

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 04:42:35 PM »
Alright, we don't have much more time, so if you're planning on coming to our Anime Night, please let me know.

That said, I ought to state my current plans. In order to bypass an interference with Brandon's Friday night writing group, we've moved the actual event to Saturday night, August 21st. I don't really care about the time much, but 7 PM sounds reasonable, so we'll make it that. That gives a few hours at least before even the responsible ones among us will want to go to bed. As far as I know, this is happening at my place...I think those who might be planning on coming already know where that is, but if not just let us know by posting on this thread and it's easily taken care of.

August 21st
7 PM
My place

If enough people respond I might even go to get some good snacks for us to eat while we watch the show.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 07:59:59 PM »
Me and my friends shall be burning and eating things that night. Here's to a night of fun to us all.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 09:23:33 PM »
Just a reminder, 7pm tonight at my/42/pro's place.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 12:35:07 PM »
I've got the rest of the RahXephon series now. Scheduling another Anime night to show more of the series will probably be tricky because EUOL has seen more than anyone else other than me, as well as the fact that the Novel-writing month with an overly large acronym is coming up, which may well soak up November.

Anyway, if someone wants to schedule a night to watch more/any of RahXephon, I'm available on most nights and Saturday mornings. Just remember to schedule enough time for a full DVD or two...you don't want to be stuck with just the first three episodes of this one.