Author Topic: I'm back!  I'm leaving!  (Read 1236 times)

McDingus

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Dingus?  I don't even KNOW her!
    • View Profile
I'm back!  I'm leaving!
« on: August 05, 2004, 03:19:33 PM »
Well, kinda both.

I've been lurking a lot, and haven't been posting.  If that's bad, I'm sorry.  If that's good, too bad.  I'm going to try posting more. :P

And the "I'm leaving" bit?  I just got a job working tech support for Apple.  I start next Friday.  

Now I live in Rochester, NY.  I've lived here my whole life.  The problem is (if it could be called a problem) that the job is in Austin, TX.  I'm not just moving, I'm moving 1600 miles away. o_O

I'm still in shock about the whole thing.  I found out Monday that I got the job, and now I need to leave this Monday.  My father and I are going, taking 3 days to get there, Thursday to look around, and I'm starting Friday.  Yow.

Wish me luck!  ;D

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: I'm back!  I'm leaving!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 03:22:10 PM »
well... um... good luck and congrats?

I've been working mostly only helpdesk jobs for something like 6 years or so now. I REALLY hate it. but because of that I can barely be considered for other jobs now.

McDingus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 07:25:33 PM »
Yeah, I had some problems the last time I worked a help desk, but it was because I worked for an outsourcer.  This time, I'm working directly for a computer company.  There won't be another company pulling me in a third direction, yanking me off of one contract, on to another for a weekend, then back to the other one, then we lose that contract and all have to learn stuff from yet ANOTHER contract...  *shudder*

Not that I'm bitter about the experience or anything...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 08:26:22 PM »
well, it's a little better working for the company itself. It's what I do now, and I've done it before (two different companies), but it's still helpdesk. It's hardly what I want to do with the rest of my life and it seems to be what I'm friggin locked into.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 08:39:02 PM »
Rochester eh? That's near my neck of the woods. I'm in Buffalo (actually a suburb off of other suburbs of the city) and ho-hum, I'd rather be glad to go somewhere else sometime.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

McDingus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 11:15:17 PM »
Rochester eh? That's near my neck of the woods. I'm in Buffalo (actually a suburb off of other suburbs of the city) and ho-hum, I'd rather be glad to go somewhere else sometime.

That's cool, Gemm.  I actually am one of the rare few who actually didn't really WANT to go out of town.  I certainly wasn't planning on it, and I kinda wanted to stay in Rochester.  Obviously, it didn't have an effect on my decision, but it's kinda hard leaving.  I think it's a good thing I'm not getting much more than a week to prepare myself.  Church on Sunday is going to be hard.

Still though, I get a really great chance to start over.  It's going to be a helluva lot of fun.  Woohoo!  ;D