Author Topic: Old School gamin  (Read 4316 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: Old School gamin
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 05:25:45 PM »
Sounds good, but I'd call it Old School instead of Old Shool, but that's just me.

So let me see if I have this straight:  People would send me reviews of old games (or I would write them myself), then I would decide which ones get posted and how often, then I sent 'em to you, Fell, to put up on the site?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 05:36:16 PM »
I'll wager you could do it that way, or you could just get commitments for people to upload an article by/on a certain date. Although, if you pass them through you, you could put in whatever links you wnat, like to current ebay or half.com listings or whatever.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2003, 06:17:56 PM »
That is correct.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2003, 09:10:45 PM »
Hey, great lil' review of Blacksand.  So what AFF book gets the treatment next?  Out of the Pit?

And yeah, if people want to send me reviews of old games, I will look through them and pick ones to post.  The older and more obscure the game is, the better.  That's not to say that the Old Classics aren't worth a review (such as Basic D&D, VIllains & Vigilantes, etc).  Hey, does anybody remember that rpg about talking rabbits?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2003, 09:24:07 PM »
Heh, a game based on Watership Down would be COOL.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2003, 10:37:41 PM »
Usagi Yojimbo or Bunnies and Burrows?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2003, 10:42:29 PM »
Probably he means B&B.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2003, 01:15:35 AM »
Yep, I meant Bunnies & Burrows (the original, not the GURPS version that came years later), but I have to admit that Usagi Yojimbo is just plain cool.  It's too bad they only released the two books for it.  I played a scarfaced, one-eyed rabbit monster-hunter with a sword bigger than he was, and he traveled with a huge bear mercenary and a snake who had aspirations of opening up his own school of unique fencing.  It was a trip.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2003, 06:31:39 AM »
You've actually heard of AFF, Slant?

Next will be Allansia, which deals with overland adventures. It might be a little while before I write it, because of the HSC, but if I get a chance I'll try to write it before so we're not waiting four weeks.

Following that, I'll look at Out of the Pit, Titan, and then maybe the non-advanced mulitplayer books 'Fighting Fantasy' and 'The Riddling Reaver'.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2003, 08:24:02 AM »
There aren't so many reviews as there once were, so it'd be ok if everyone started donating articles. Not just reviews. But on that note, I could do a review of Usagi, since I bought it not too long ago. I also have a book, a web site, and three card games I should get around to busting out. I guess there's a week's worth right there....

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2003, 02:09:31 PM »
I was going to do the Menace Manual and the Minis Handbook, Saint, so you don't need to worry about those, and Sprig's got the Star Wars book covered. That means that you have some free time to do this other stuff. And some free books.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2003, 05:07:46 PM »
Not only have I heard of AFF, but I have all the books.  I managed to find the whole run at a used bookstore in perfect condition.  The entire AFF cost me about six bucks, and it was well worth it.  Only three of us played it, but we had fun.  My friend Sean ran it, and I played a barbarian pit-fighter named Crannoch.  My other friend played the dwarf Zed, which means in the dwarven tongue "He Who Shalt Kick Much Booty."  The campaign wasn't deep, but it was a lot of fun.  We bashed heards all over Port Blacksand.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2003, 05:13:59 PM »
I didn't get Star Wars. But I'll move the priority on "menace manual" to "low" for now. I do have a lot, so it'll be nice to not worry about that.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2003, 11:19:05 PM »
Hey, Slant, you restricting this to RPGs? because i just realized, I have some GREAT board games from old time. Gammarauders, Ogre, Kingmaker...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2003, 06:30:04 AM »
Last night i joined a gaming club, and we played a highly inoffensive arthurian RPG called "Dragon Warriors". They told me the book was probably older than i am. It's combat section was 2 2-page spreads of comic - 14 panels. The parts of britain were called "Westshire", "middle shire".

It all went Monty Python and the holy grail.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch