Author Topic: Tax season  (Read 8030 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Tax season
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 08:00:58 PM »
So, I tried to file and realized that we never got a social security number for Sam (my 6 month old).  I don't know if it got lost in the mail or what, but we never got it.  Now I'm going to have to go stand in freaking line for hours.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006, 08:26:37 PM »
Posted by: Luck O the Spriggan      Posted on: Today at 12:47pm
No arguing that, I just made the point that if 15k could comfortably support me then 50k could handle a much more expensive situation.
Posted by: Luck-E Charms      Posted on: Today at 12:53pm
* Luck-E Charms shakes his fist and curses you mormons some more.
Posted by: stacer      Posted on: Today at 1:04pm
I remember a time when 50k seemed like a lot, too. It's still a lot more than I make, but now that gap has lessened, especially because of student loan payments, cost of living in all the places I can ever get a job, etc. I mourn the days I used to pay $175 a month including utilities for my own room. Ah, those were the days. Though, Utah is very unfriendly to pets, so I'd never have been able to have my cat, which was one of the things I really hated about living in Utah so long. (I moved to Utah with a cat, who died because my cousin's wife wouldn't let me keep her in the house--a fact she didn't tell me till I'd already flown the cat out to Utah--and was never able to get another cat again till now.)

Don't knock making 50K a year. That is more than the national average, but with inflation (particularly in the real estate sector) and real wage going down, it seems like less and less.

As far as e-filing for those who make less then 50K, the IRS will actually help taxpayers find a free e-filier. Go to http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html. Don't worry, this is one of a very few nice things that the IRS will do (many becasue the IRS think it will help them collect more). Never, ever start thinking the IRS is nice and avoid talking to their agents.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2006, 11:50:51 PM »
Also if you e-file you have an extra week to do so over mailing in your taxes.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2006, 12:11:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys! My goal is to file my taxes this weekend. No school next week, hooray! So if I get my taxes done, I can focus on some bk design homework (font hunting) and writing my novel. Cool.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 05:38:33 PM »
Posted by: Luck O the Spriggan Posted on: Feb 28th, 2006, 8:50pm
Also if you e-file you have an extra week to do so over mailing in your taxes.  

Where did you hear that? The filing deadline statutes don't say that e-filers have an extra week and I've never heard this. I really don't think there is an special extention for e-filing taxes.

Unless I'm wrong, I would strongly recommend that all taxes returns be filed by the April 15 deadline without filing for an extention. And make sure you have proof that you filed because even if you are one day late, the the IRS will tack on a whole months worth of interest and penalties. Did I mention that the IRS is mean.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2006, 05:41:27 PM »
Actually, because this year April 15 is on a Saturday, April 17 is the deadline (or at least I got an email from the Web site I used to e-file my taxes that said if I owed the government money, I had to have it sent by April 17 to avoid penalties. I am assuming that the 15th being a Saturday is the reason).

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2006, 05:49:12 PM »
That's true. Anytime a tax deadline falls on a weekend or a federal holiday (meaning a holiday in D.C.) then the deadline is automatically extended to the following monday or next business day.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »
We got our federal refund direct deposited this week. Probably the last year we'll get such a big refund, but oh well. There will be other compensation when my husband begins his job this summer.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2006, 07:25:49 PM »
Well, it took an hour and a half at the stupid Social Security office, but I got Sammy a SS# -- and then I did my taxes and got the biggest return I've ever had!!  I love America!

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2006, 09:13:37 AM »
Well, it took an hour and a half at the stupid Social Security office, but I got Sammy a SS# -- and then I did my taxes and got the biggest return I've ever had!!  I love America!

U!S!A! U!S!A!
It brings a tear to my eye.

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »
Children and tax returns, one of the few financial blessing that children provide. Isn't having kids wonderful.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2006, 10:28:42 PM »

Where did you hear that? The filing deadline statutes don't say that e-filers have an extra week and I've never heard this. I really don't think there is an special extention for e-filing taxes.

It started either last year or two years ago, can't remember which, but it was everywhere.  You could no turn on the news last April without hearing about it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 12:54:21 PM »
Printing! My taxes are printing as we speak. YAY! I was able to efile my fed tax return but had to print out my state returns because of the part-resident form thingies. Oh, well.

The *best* news, though, is that I didn't end up owing any MA state tax even though I didn't have my employer take any taxes out. Plus I get $69 back from UT and $670 back from Uncle Sam. Phew. How sweet it is to be done!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

fellsmum

• Level 3
  • I know all and what color it spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2006, 02:15:39 PM »

Don't you owe me money?

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2006, 02:16:43 PM »
Oh you.

www.robisonwells.com