Author Topic: review: Twilight  (Read 3098 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Twilight
« on: May 14, 2007, 05:38:12 PM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 05:40:17 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
Re: review: Twilight
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:55:42 PM »
THANK YOU!  I've had a bunch of people telling me what a wonderful book this was.  I read it and got through about half before I threw the book across the room.  It was, for me, exactly what you said.  Fluffy, fair for a romance, but not a good supernatural book and not much of a thinking book at all.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:31:28 PM »
I actually read this one too, despite the fact that I'm sooooo far out of her targeted audience.  I agree with you completely about the plot.  Frustrating.  But a decent "fun" read.  Great review.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:37:40 PM »
I am so glad there are other people who feel the same way about this book.  So many people think it's the best thing ever written, and it makes me want to scream.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 04:35:42 PM »
I agree a lot with this review.  But I've had a weird experience with this book.  The more time it has been since I've read it, the more I've liked it in retrospect.  The sequel may have helped, since I liked it better than the first book.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:13:06 PM »
I've tossed the idea of reading the sequel around for quite a while.  Don't know that I'll ever get around to it, what with all the other great stuff that is out there right now, but I'd probably be open to reading it if just for her writing.  Not amazing, but worthwhile.  I'll probably pick it up based on the fact that you liked it better than the original.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »
The sequel manages to get over some of the problems of the first book, in my opinion.  The plot starts sooner and Bella is more active.  My guess is that the first book gave Meyer some practice that she then applied to the second book.  By the way, the third book is due out this summer.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 06:15:23 PM »
Coming quick.  New Moon didn't get released all that long ago from what I remember.   I wonder if the rest will come out as quickly.   She apparently has rough material for like 7 or 8 books in this series from what she says.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:27 PM »
Most people have told me that the thematic responsibility problems get worse in the second book, which is why I haven't run out to read it.  I HATE the book's subtext, and no one has indicated to me that it gets any better.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 04:29:53 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'thematic responsibility problems'.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 06:02:49 AM »
Several of my adult girlfriends rave about this book, so I read it...and I totally agree with your review. I wasn't very impressed with it, although it was fun to read on the airplane, when I needed to escape mentally.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/