Author Topic: November 30 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name of God Chapter 2  (Read 2513 times)

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: November 30 - LongTimeUnderdog - The Name of God Chapter 2
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 04:22:15 AM »
Oh, now the choot sounds different. I wonder why you'd have a ball on the end instead of a point.

To throw, or break armor.

http://www.tribalmania.com/images/zulucollection.jpg

Those funky clubs are in that picture are thrown.  Choots just have more of a curve to them for hooking people with.  I don't know if this is a good spot or not.  It seemed like too much (well . .. more on the WAY too much) info at this time.  There's enough familiarities in this to explain. but I plan on getting more into the martial arts of everything soon . . . ish, covering why most of their weapons curve back or have hooking parts.  If you all think sooner is better, please let me know.

vegetathalas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • Jenn's World
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 04:53:25 AM »
I think you can't use the word for long without describing it, but I'd prefer to see it described in action. IE, a battle. Any way you can throw one of those into chapter 2?  ;D

Interesting looking Zulu weapons. But definitely not what I was picturing from your description. I'm not sure what you can do to change that--unfamiliar things are hard to describe.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 05:12:25 AM »
IE, a battle. Any way you can throw one of those into chapter 2? 

Yeah probably.  Would make it a better chapter too.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 03:43:41 AM »
Okay, is this the first time Anaiah's been through the village? Surely she would have encountered things like this before. And lots of other subtler snubs, as well. I don't see how Camaroth could have kept her entirely secluded from this. Besides, if people felt that strongly about it, they probably would be showing up at Camaroth's door with pitchforks (okay, fine, maybe not pitchforks. But I don't think that even locking Anaiah in her house and never letting her leave would entirely make problems like this go away). At the very least you'd think it would adversely affect his business. And as Cynic has said, most kids won't go after another kid in the presence of an adult. Even if there had been no adults around, hurling rocks at someone is pretty malicious. I'll be the first to admit that children are horrible little creatures, but kids are more likely to resort to verbal abuse than physical abuse, particularly if they're just going after someone who their parents have told them is bad (which seems to be what is happening here). Also: I have to agree, Anaiah would realize that people were directing the names at her (particularly if they're also directing rocks at her). She might be confused about why they're calling her that, but kids are not insensitive to that kind of insult. Or any insult.

Why did Camaroth think throwing rocks back at the others would help, exactly? Also, while I can believe that he would not tell her about her heritage, it does reflect badly on him. This is not a problem for me if it's not a problem for you.

Sallu repeats herself a lot.

How low does Sallu have Anaiah and Amoz squatting? They'd have to go fairly low before it got particularly tough on the thighs, and it seems to me that would be really impractical for fighting. (Okay, having read your response, I see that now. I think that's fair, but the way you had it written made it seem like they were attacking from that stance.)

I also wondered how old Anaiah was in this chapter. She definitely seems older than eight. I would have put her in her at thirteen. And I think Cynic is right and it's probably best to stay away from terms like seasons, unless you've very clearly explicated that there are only two seasons, perhaps even then.

I agree, I'd love to see more description of your exotic weapons and really, just more description in general. As for seeing the weapons described in action? Easy. Have Sallu do a little showing off. :P