Author Topic: Bye-Bye CleanFlicks  (Read 7993 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Bye-Bye CleanFlicks
« on: July 10, 2006, 12:52:59 PM »
It's offical, CleanFlicks has to close down by the end of the week or get an injuction.

http://news.com.com/Moviemakers+win+legal+battle+with+DVD+sanitizers/2100-1026_3-6092055.html?tag=nefd.top

Senior U.S. District Court Judge Richard Matsch came down squarely on the side of the Directors Guild of America and the major studios in his ruling that the companies must immediately cease all production, sale and rentals of edited videos. The summary judgment issued Thursday requires the companies--Utah-based CleanFlicks, CleanFilms and Play It Clean Video, Arizona-based Family Flix USA and the separate entity CleanFlicks of Colorado--to turn over all existing copies of their edited movies to lawyers for the studios for destruction within five days of the ruling.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
Re: Bye-Bye CleanFlicks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:15:34 PM »
I heard on newsradio this morning they were going to appeal.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 05:16:29 PM »
They appear to be the only one, most of the other companies like them have decided to shut down.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »
Personally this is ridiculous, why should we be forced to watch crap? It's like saying its against the law to tear out or blot out parts of a book that we don't think should be read.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 12:16:22 PM »
Um, it is, if that book is a library book. I can't tell you how many books at the BYU library have been defaced like that--books that are perfectly acceptable content, but have a scantily-clad woman in an art print from the Victorian era, say. They even do it with the rare books, sometimes, and we had to install a state of the art security system to prevent it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:31:58 PM »
Faster, because they were taking the works of others and then changing them and selling them. Doing it to your own property is fair enough, but when you try to resell it then it's a whole different kettle of fish.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 12:43:28 PM »
Also there were some practices going on that were more questionable than just that. Such as some people being able to get a "clean" copy of Matrix: Reloaded on DVD two weeks after the theater release...
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 02:06:58 PM »
           FMP, you aren't forced to watch crap. If you have objection to what a director or author has chosen to include in their work, then don't subject yourself to it. Yes, it is inconvenient if you decide that you aren't going to watch R rated movies, or read books with similar content, because those books include most of the classics, and a good chunk of the movies that come out nowadays are rated R. But I think that the creator of a work deserves to have their work read, or watched, in its entirety. After that, you can form your opinions anyway you like.

The only reason I think that these companies closing is unfortunate is for kids. If you want to share a movie with your kids, but you don't want them to be exposed to the violence, that is a different story. It's different because your children aren't (with good reason) allowed to choose what they can and can't watch, and there are things that they just aren't prepared to see. As adults however, you have to be able to handle seeing these things, because they are part of life. If someone falls and breaks their leg, it is pretty violent, and can be very gory, especially if the bone breaks skin. But, as an adult, you have to be able to deal with that. The same goes with swearing or foul language, sexuality...etc.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 02:09:52 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 02:22:18 PM »
The ClearPlay technology for watching edited movies is still available (and with no question about legality, since Congress passed a law last year specifically allowing such technology.)
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 02:23:41 PM »
I still think the movie studios are missing a golden opportunity by not partnering with one of these groups to actually release "edited" versions.  There's a definite market for it.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 02:37:09 PM »
I still think the movie studios are missing a golden opportunity by not partnering with one of these groups to actually release "edited" versions.  There's a definite market for it.

Tsk tsk tsk, Spriggan.. Hollywood isn't all about money. It's also about creating a forced market that doesn't normaly exist and exposing people to the artistic tastes of the directors and writers. Hollywood doesn't listen to the mainstream public. As a general rule, R rated movies never do as well as pg-13, but Hollywood pumps them out like they are the only thing keeping them in business.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 03:21:24 PM »
But I think that the creator of a work deserves to have their work read, or watched, in its entirety.

I have always wondered, though, what is different about editing movies for TV (i.e. non-HBO and the like) for content. They take out swearing and certain scenes, just like Clean Flicks did.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:00:51 PM »
TV stations license the broadcast specifically. Due to FCC rules, they *can't* broadcast certain things, so the studio can't make the license without allowing them to edit it.

short version: they have a contract that lets them.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 11:04:04 PM »
I think one of the sticky points of this situation is that many people want to call all Hollywood pictures as simply "popular," and not "artistic."  They lose sight of the fact that, just like any creative work, a lot of art goes into it.  If people were to start calling EUOL's books offensive for something EUOL didn't find offensive, and if they then began to make a profit by censoring his works, would people still be okay with that?  I wouldn't, and I'm not comfortable with CleanFlicks and its buddies, either.  Like it or not, film is art.  As much as people try to debase it and accuse Hollywood of just trying to make a buck, the fact remains that for at least some films, a lot of effort and creative talent goes into them.  Nothing appears on screen "by accident."  It's all deliberate, because it all takes forever to do.  So when the final production is done, that how the film makers want it to be.  Yes, assuredly some films are made just to try and make money, and maybe there could be an argument there that it wouldn't matter if those films were censored, although I personally would disagree.  But take for example "Crash," last year's Oscar winner for best picture.  It's R.  It has things many would call objectionable, but I would hate to see it "cleaned," which is just another word for "censored."  It's a piece of art, and if people don't want to see or hear the things it contains, they don't have to watch it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 11:32:44 PM »
Equating "cleaning" with "censorship" across the board seems to ignore a great deal of things, not least of which is the meaning and purpose of censorship.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net