Author Topic: column: Behind the Counter 3  (Read 1996 times)

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
Re: column: Behind the Counter 3
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:30:38 PM »
I don't fit.  :'(  I don't go in to game stores often enough or spend enough money to qualify as a regular, but when I go in I usually know exactly what I want to buy. Sometimes I'll browse through the minis before I decide on one, but I have at least an idea of the type I want.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:36:13 PM »
you count as a walk in.

Some walk ins know what they want. I discussed that.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:33:54 PM »
You make a lot of good points in there.
There are a couple stores that I "frequent" (Im totally a walk-in) and the reason why I go to those two stores is because the people are friendly, helpful, and dont STARE and go OH GIRL WHO BUYS STUFF FOR HERSELF

I walked into a new store that opened up down the street from me and the 4 people in there (3 employees) just stared at me. When I walked up to one and asked if they had a gaming book I was looking for I just got a shrug and more staring. As I walked out I caught sight of the book I wanted, but kept walking and went to my regular store because I was just so freeked out by them and their inability to help me
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 09:56:51 PM »
and see if the experience isnt fun then the walk in is gone because they can usuallly find what they want elsewhere. Guess who probably made your experience worse,... the layabout.

They tend to distract the clerks from their job and are usually very opinionated.

Shiftless indeed.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 10:03:41 PM »
The guys at Dragon's Keep out here will actually shoo away the "layabouts" when unfamiliar people come in so the clearks can help them.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 10:11:11 PM »
good, that shows that they have decent... management. most stores have bad management which is why all the layabouts congregate...

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 10:25:13 PM »
Hah, that store by your house Harbinger was huge.  It was like 6 times the size of Dragon's Keep, and they had all those Cthulhu stuffed animals hanging all over the place.

Jeffe, I hate buying stuff online.  So if a store doesn't have it, then I will usually just forget about it.  The only stuff I've ever bought online is about 6 out of print novels and a practice waster for swordfighting.  But I know lots of people who don't mind buying stuff online, so that kind of varies.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 10:50:38 PM »
Like 42 who only buys via Amazon because he's scared of going outside.  Then again if I had a crazy Used Car Salesman standout outside my door yelling "I'm your brother, by this car!" I wouldn't go outside either.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 10:54:04 PM »
Hey, there are other scary things outside. Like people and the sky, and don't even get me started on that sun thing.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 12:32:32 AM »
yeah I know all about the wicked bright face. Working nights you kind of have to.