Author Topic: Vin's Mom  (Read 12660 times)

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
Re: Vin's Mom
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2008, 03:00:43 AM »
I think that is an interesting idea... Though he could have seen what could happen on a smaller scale, like in one city or something... But that brings up a point.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2008, 03:07:23 AM »
I'm reading the steel plates now, the part where Kwaan is listing the signs that applied to Alendi, and look what I found:

Quote from the Steel Plates
29 There were other proofs to connect Alendi to the Hero of Ages.  Smaller things, things that only one trained in the lore of the Anticipation would have noticed.  THE BIRTHMARK ON HIS ARM.  The way his hair turned gray when he was barely twenty and five years of age.  The way he spoke, the way he treated people, the way he ruled.  He simply seemed to fit.

I added the emphasis of course.  And if you look at the bit of logbook before the prologue of MB1, the one that has the secret of the overarching mystery in the series, according to brandon, Alendi says he carries the future of the world ON HIS ARM, or something like that, coincidence, I think not!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 05:30:09 AM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2008, 08:34:09 AM »
He has a big birthmark that looks like Chuck Norris... HAHAHAHA
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
WTF is expedcially?  OMG!  I must have been TIRED when I typed that. haha.

Don't worry, you're not even close to the worst speller/proofreader on these boards.  [cough] Comatose [/cough]  :-)

I'm reading the steel plates now, the part where Kwaan is listing the signs that applied to Alendi, and look what I found:

Quote from the Steel Plates
29 There were other proofs to connect Alendi to the Hero of Ages.  Smaller things, things that only one trained in the lore of the Anticipation would have noticed.  THE BIRTHMARK ON HIS ARM.  The way his hair turned gray when he was barely twenty and five years of age.  The way he spoke, the way he treated people, the way he ruled.  He simply seemed to fit.

I added the emphasis of course.  And if you look at the bit of logbook before the prologue of MB1, the one that has the secret of the overarching mystery in the series, according to brandon, Alendi says he carries the future of the world ON HIS ARM, or something like that, coincidence, I think not!

Interesting, I never noticed that before.  I think you're absolutely right, the birthmark is what is important about that epigraph.  What it means exactly is not so certain.  And do any of the present-day characters have birthmarks that we know of?  I can't think of any, but if there were, that would be a huge clue.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:56:45 PM by SarahG »
He ate my horse.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2008, 06:18:25 PM »
Yeah, I don't remember any of the characters having birthmarks... I don't think I was ever looking for it.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »
Quote from SarahG
Don't worry, you're not even close to the worst speller/proofreader on these boards.  [cough] Comatose [/cough]  :-)

Yes, I'm aware of my condition SarahG, and I humbly apologize.  I'll try harder in the future, that is until I get lazy, excited, or any number of other emotions that will lead to sloppiness and thus those dreaded typos ;D.

Perhaps Ruin (or Preservation) could shape the mark, as he does writing in texts, to show the future, but that would imply Ruin seeing the future, which I don't think he can.  What is the significance of the mark?  And is it why Alendi holds the future of the world ON his arms?
This is confusing, but I think the epigraphs are by far the most valuable source of clues we have, way to go Vintage and Andrew, great job!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »
Quote from SarahG
Perhaps Ruin (or Preservation) could shape the mark, as he does writing in texts, to show the future, but that would imply Ruin seeing the future, which I don't think he can.  What is the significance of the mark?  And is it why Alendi holds the future of the world ON his arms?

Because of the way it is phrased, I don't think that particular logbook reference refers to a birthmark...unless he has two birthmarks, both identical, both on his arms.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »
Yes, I'm aware of my condition SarahG, and I humbly apologize.  I'll try harder in the future, that is until I get lazy, excited, or any number of other emotions that will lead to sloppiness and thus those dreaded typos ;D.

Humble apology accepted; you are hereby forgiven.  :-)  I also commend you on being careful to avoid errors in your apology post.  (Otherwise I might doubt the sincerity of your remorse.)

And now, having set myself up as resident grammar Nazi, I guess I need to be all the more careful myself.   :-\

Because of the way it is phrased, I don't think that particular logbook reference refers to a birthmark...unless he has two birthmarks, both identical, both on his arms.

You're right, I hadn't thought about the plural.  That does make the birthmark theory far less plausible.
He ate my horse.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
And then I move over to the hemalurgy thread, and use 'teh' instead of 'the,' and many others I'm sure.  When I get excited about something (Anything Mistborn), everything else just becomes unimportant, to me at least.  I apologize if my future transgressions offend anyone ;D.

Yes, I had thought about that, and you are right, one is plural, the other is not.  I realize it's not perfect, but it just seems like too much to be purely coincidence.  We're here trying to figure out what "on his arms," could mean, and then it turns out he has a birthmark "on his arm."  I dunno, maybe there's something else on the other arm that we are missing?

Shall we continue this as well in the Vin as the HOA thread, since it has to do with the hero of ages as well?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:44:40 PM by Comatose »
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier