Author Topic: Sequel-Writing Blues  (Read 1676 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Sequel-Writing Blues
« on: August 26, 2004, 01:38:47 AM »
Well, not exactly blues--it feels good to get back to these characters and continue the story of their lives.  However, there are some annoying parts as well.

Like, for instance, that 'quick-explain' thing you have to do at the beginning of the story to re-introduce readers to the world and the magic system.  Honestly, I've never had to do that before, and it's an interesting situation.  I find myself a little frustrated that I have to break the action to remind everyone what the magic does and how it works.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Sequel-Writing Blues
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 07:00:01 AM »
Well, Goodkind never seemed to have that problem. I think he did that a few times during his books. Maybe you just need to do it often enough to get over it.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 07:25:29 AM »
Oddly enough, I think gemm's right.  It's not something you've done before so you don't know how to do it with grace, so you need some practice. *nod* Dont' look at us for advice. it's not like I'm writing any sequels right now (still on my first manuscript)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 01:51:13 PM »
I'm writing a sequel right now, but I'm running into similar problems.  I wish I had more advice for you, but I don't.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 02:34:04 PM »
Well, you've read sequels, right? I know the ones I've read that I've preferred have had as little "reminder" information as possible. Just enough to give me a sense of the world again, and maybe a few references to previous things through continuing problems. For example, if a character has a scar from a wound received in a battle in the previous book, he could examine it and muse on what will happen next in this conflict, or muse on how he hopes those enemies are gone for good.

But it has to be part of the new narrative, not an infodump. The best way of reminding me of the magic system would be to introduce a new conflict and have the characters using the system.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 02:35:06 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 08:22:45 PM »
I've noticed that you have to work it into a reminscing on the part of the POV character.  I've also noticed that it's less annoying in first person than in third, at least to ME.

"Jane shuddered, remembering all too well how Cuddles had been their close friend, then betrayed them all to the evil Gorilla King."
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 10:07:42 PM »
And so, from me to you, I recommend for this problem the first two books in Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. In the 2nd he actually does go back to some things. Such as why Richard has been choosen as the Seeker and what Kahlan's powers do and what happened to the two of them at the end and what happened to Darken Rahl, ETC!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 10:43:47 PM »
a flashback is a bit.... device laden, don't you think?

Perhaps a conversation, some meeting, where the events are relevant:

"Ever since that hobbit brought Sauron to his knees there just havent' been as many orcs around, Aragorn, king of the humans, observed to his friend Gimli, one of the few dwarves who remained in contact with humans."

Ok, yeah, a bit much, but you get the point.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 10:53:43 PM »
I agree with Stacer most, but really, I think the less you do the better. Write it the way you want it, and if you have to go back and change things later to add reintroduction, no big deal.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!