4-5
1 (9.1%)
5+
0 (0%)
I critique all submissions
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 04, 2009, 12:59:37 AM

Author Topic: How many critiques do you give a week?  (Read 2478 times)

M

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
How many critiques do you give a week?
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:59:37 AM »
Sorry, couldn't help myself.  I was just wondering how many critiques everyone is averaging a week.  I think a good follow up poll after this one would be, "Do you feel like you get enough critiques for each submission?" 

The point of this poll isn't to see how bad we are doing (cause I personally think we are doing awesome!), I just want to see what the average is for curiosity sake.

;D

M

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: How many critiques do you give a week?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:36:55 AM »
Um, recently, in terms of crits just for RE? I haven't been doing any. I am a bad person.

I haven't been doing any because, among ohter things, I have to do between 6-8 crits for classes. 3-4 of those crits'll be anywhere between 4-12 pages. The other 3-4 crits will be anywhere from 30-60 pages.

So....yeah. I'm still critting, technically.

>>;

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:24:52 AM »
I just happened to sign up for this group just in time to receive the first submissions.  So I think (?) I have everything that's been submitted so far.   I randomly picked a few stories to focus on first, and I started with chapter 1 and just moved forward.  But I plan to get to everybody's! 

For example... I have all of Frog's QUEEN'S OPAL chapters.  I've only read chapter 1 and 2 at this point.  But I plan to catch up.  Honestly. :)

As for how many I read... I try to do 1-2 a week minimum, but so far I've been about to do 2-3.  Yay!

These are not my stories. I just write them.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 06:53:29 AM »
Sure you will.... ;)
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 06:55:10 AM »
I try to get all of the submissions, but fail miserably  :'(

I like to read all of the chapters before critiquing something that's on, say, chapter ten. I like to know where it was and where it is now before critiquing. That means I spend a lot of time reading back over the older submissions for the story, and often get bogged down.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »
I have a copy of everything sent sense RE started. Have I critiqued them all? HELL NO. I don't have that kind of time unfortunately and I'm not versed enough in certain styles such as screen plays to give meaningful critiques on some. Others, such as Frog's Queens Opal I haven't critiqued because of the length and number of other (probably better) critiques already given.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »
Wow, that is the second time my stuff has been brought up. No one has to read my stuff if they don't want to. I love it when they do, but I can be satisfied with 2-3 critiques. I'm not greedy. Go ahead and delete it with a clean conscious. :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:23:56 PM by Frog »
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:56:15 PM »
Don't misunderstand. I read your stuff when I'm able. I just haven't critiqued you yet since most everyone else has and I often am short for time.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

M

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:51:53 AM »
People! People! People!

Nobody needs to feel bad for only doing 1 or 2 critiques a week.  Critiquing ALL submissions is asking too much and is NOT a requirement to be in this writing group.  There are plenty of critiques given each week that no one should feel obligated to do more than 1 or 2 (IMHO).

I have skipped around from one submission to another, never staying with one in particular, and thanks to the good brief synopsis left by each submitter, I can jump right into the story having never read the previous submissions. 

READING EXCUSES ROCKS!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »
I've always critiqued every submission. I think thats the best way to encourage more people do join RE and begin sending submissions themselves, the best way to get more critiques of my own work (I'm a greedy bastard, but at least I'm honest  :D) and because thats how I think writing groups do it face to face in real life. A manuscript needs a wide range of people's views to get a balanced opinion.

However, I am NOT trying to say everyone needs to or should do that. If everyone can give 1 or 2 a week then that is plenty. And of course if you simply do not have the time to give critiques we understand.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Manyang

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:08 AM »
I'm doing none at the moment unfortunately.
Two shortstory projects I'm working on are in their critiquing, rewriting fase that's currently taking up all my available time. I should be able to throw in a critique here and there in a few weeks time though.