Author Topic: Jordan Fan Here  (Read 1688 times)

wil

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Jordan Fan Here
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:58:06 PM »
Just wanted to say, I found out a couple of months ago that someone was actually chosen to finish the WOT series, and so I reread the whole series starting when school got out in June (I am a teacher), and finishing today.  I can concur with what you said early on in your blog posts of impressions as you read through....When I started the series the first time in 1997 while I was in the Navy, I was able to read the first 7 books together over about 2 months, and as you mentioned, it was much better that way, seeing the plots move continuously as I think they were intended to rather than each book as an individual story.  I have read the whole series each time I have bought a new book, and so I have read the early ones about 6 times.  To me, the first part of the first book has a feel of hobbits escaping the shire, but after that, it goes far beyond where Tolkein ever went.  I appreciate the monumental task you have to finish the book, and appreciate your blogs giving us readers insight.   

I look forward to seeing what Jordan and you do with the ending, and in the meantime, hope to pick up and read some of your own books.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan Fan Here
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:26:37 AM »
Welcome to TWG.

This would go in the Brandon Sanderson section though.  Which is here.  ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
haha i don't know if he rivals Tolkien but Jordan is undoubtedly an amazing author. The scope of his books do go beyond what Tolkien did, ie politics, national tension, etc. We are all waiting with baited breath to see how the last book comes together. Sanderson will either be hated or loved by legions of Jordan fans for how the last one is finished but we all love him anyway  ;)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »
having been a jordan fan much longer than a sanderson fan i find it interesting to consider my next statement. after having read brandons books i no longer find myself worried about the outcome of AMoL. i find comfort in the fact that someone as able as brandon has the ability to finish one of his heros timeless stories. i also think that if Wot could get the exposure Tolkien has had then it would deffinately rival it. just because someone creates a language to support a story doesnt make it amazing. jordans world building and character supporting abilities can rival anyone who has written fantasy that ive ever seen. dont get me wrong im a big goodkind/sword of truth fan and i could argue all day but i think jordan was one of the best that we will have the pleasure of reading in our lifetimes. and i now have confidence that brandon will one day reach the same level. maybe not in the way of 12 book epic fantasy but in what ever way he decides to write.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:27:26 AM »
If your a Jordan fan you might find this interesting
http://www.dabelbrothers.com/index.php?categoryid=16&p2_articleid=8

(umm hopefully that link works if not copy and paste it)

As cool as it is that  WOT will be a comic book, I think Mistborn would be a much more interesting graphic novel.
The fight scenes alone seem to be made for comic book format.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 03:26:03 PM »
now thats interesting. i agree with your statement that mistborn is better suited as a graphic novel. i lov WOT abd i dont know if thats the way i would have gone with it. it will obviously get the WOL out to a differnt group of readers but i never envisioned it as a comic. i dont know how i will receive this comic. i find that in a comic adaptation there could be much lost. but who knows maybe it work out. i could only imagine a misborne graphic novle, i think the series is perfectly suited for such a thing
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"