Author Topic: The Nerdery #16  (Read 4410 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: The Nerdery #16
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 02:18:46 PM »
well, then I think you were right. It's a tough call to make, though, cuz either way there's going to be a little bit of dissatisfaction.

Next time it comes up, remind them that you can't flub an open roll, and see if they really want to stick with it. I can't imagine how a player wouldn't trust their GM to make the roll themselves if it's clear that the GM is more interested in everyone's fun than killing off his players. Make it clear that you may fudge a bit, but if you do, it will be in the interest of playing a game that everyone at the table will enjoy.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 04:57:14 PM »
Part of the problem seems to be that your players are demanding contradictory things: they want it to be fair, but they also want you to cheat. I don't think they've thought this through. If you're the kind of GM who will fudge in their favor to create a fun game, then they should just trust you and let you roll in secret. If they think you're out to get them, and will fudge in favor of the monsters, then frankly I don't know why they want you to GM in the first place.

My guess is that they trust you as a GM, and when they really think about it they know that you'll do what it takes to make the game fun even if it means an occasional fudge; I just think they're so used to the typical players-vs-GM mindset that they haven't broken out of it yet.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 02:01:54 PM »
Well they have frequently been quoted as saying that I enjoy coming up with new ways to kill off their characters, but I have always taken that as a compliment as it illustrates that I don't use the same monsters in the same situations over and over again.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

mulchNator

• Level 4
  • "Let's get the hell out of here"  Army of Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 12:59:42 PM »
Nicadymus YES you are the character killer, and YES we do all refer to you as that!  But never the less you are a very good GM!  Guess who just arrived?  ??? ???  m? u? l? c? h?  Yes, I mulch have finally arrived!   8)

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 03:03:19 PM »
Well, well.  Lookie what we have here.

It's about time you showed yourself, Mulch.  I mean I understand you don't want to be seen in public, and frankly, I don't blame you, but this is the internet man!

(Just Kidding Mulch.  You know I had to harass you for waiting so long to post.)
Boogie woogie woogie!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 05:00:42 PM »
By the way, Mulch, please be sure to read the FAQ and introduce yourself

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 09:08:33 PM »
 m? u? l? c? h?

Wow he can spell his name! You've been working hard training him Nicadymus.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 09:21:32 PM »
Does anyone else find it slightly ironic that Spriggan is, in essence, criticizing someone else on their ability to spell?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 09:24:29 PM »
Does anyone else find it slightly ironic that Spriggan is, in essence, criticizing someone else on their ability to spell?

That would have been funny if that joke wasn't so old it was around before you could eat solid foods.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 09:38:57 PM »
I wasn't trying to be funny. For one thing, I was wondering if, perhaps, his spelling was really that bad. If not, then it was a reminder that those in glass houses... For another, I was really wondering what other people thought. Yeah, it would be an old joke if it were a joke.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 11:20:59 PM »
Certain jokes have become... expected. That's one of them.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 11:25:20 PM »
As for my makeing fun of Mulch, I have an idea who it is so I kid.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2005, 12:23:19 AM »
Oh I know, I wasn't really rebuking you Spriggan, I mess around with my friends the same way.

mulchNator

• Level 4
  • "Let's get the hell out of here"  Army of Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2005, 01:37:11 PM »
Hello all!  Nicadymus you joker!  But why wouldn't I want to be seen in public?  Dragon juicer armor and all!  LOL!

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2005, 05:33:53 PM »
Glad to finally have you around, mulch.  So what do you think of the situation?
Boogie woogie woogie!!