Author Topic: Wisdom Teeth  (Read 5519 times)

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Wisdom Teeth
« on: July 09, 2004, 03:44:43 PM »
Just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday.  I had the whole IV thing, so I don't remember much about it.  They only took out two on the top (which everyone tells me are the least likely to hurt).  Yesterday afternoon I could walk around a bit, and today I feel fine, though a little tired at times.  My cheeks haven't puffed up at all, I'm still waiting to see if they might later on.  Mostly, I'm starving.  There's very little to eat that isn't "hard."

What was everyone else's experience with having their wisdom teeth pulled?  My two older brothers were very different.  Ben had pizza (sort of) the same day his were pulled, and Rob was nearly comotose for about two days.  Lucky, I guess I'm more like Ben than Rob.  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 03:45:25 PM by Tekiel »
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Wisdom Teeth
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 04:06:58 PM »
I got mine pulled on the same day as my twins. It went fairly well for me, I didn't have any problems that I remember, though it was about two days before I could really eat whatever I wanted again.

Unfortunately, the doctor who performed the surgery had a heart attack that same day and died the next day.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 04:11:26 PM »
I didn't have pizza the same day. A couple hours after I got my wisdom teeth out, I went with my friends to pick up a movie and got a shake. It was the next day that I went to work and had pizza. Anyway, it was pretty easy for me, so I guess I was lucky.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 04:31:13 PM »
Navy Doctor and trainee (or vice versa), insufficent local anesthetic and some kind  of forcep/pliers.

nuff said.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 04:41:48 PM »
They put me completely under and took out all four at once. They were coming in completely sideways and were throwing the rest of my mouth out of alignment. It was unlikely the bottom teeth were even going to erupt at all, and now my front bottom teeth are all slightly crooked because of it.

So they put me out, and I woke up really groggy and had to have this huge icepack apparatus on my face for a day or two. I bruised slightly, but the biggest problem was that one of my sockets got infected. The doctor told me to keep it clean but never bothered to give me the syringe to do so till I came back with the infection. At least I didn't get dry socket. Mainly I just looked like a chipmunk because of the gauze in my mouth and the huge blue icepacks.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

McDingus

• Level 2
  • Dingus?  I don't even KNOW her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 04:45:26 PM »
I had novoc- nova- (*McDingus does research*) NOVOCAINE (Hey!  That's a brand name!) and nitrous oxide.  

I remember thinking how great it is that all I had to do was lie down and open my mouth, and that got people to do work for me. ::)

It took a couple of days for me, but my first "solid" food was a Wendy's burger.  That was the best tasting burger EVER!

I was a Junior in high school when it happened, but they were fully developed when they yanked them (I had all 4 done at once).  My doctor said he was kinda impressed, and accused me of lying about my age (which was damn funny when one is under N2O).

Seeing others' posts here, I'm glad it went fairly well for me.  My Dad had to fly to San Francisco the day after he got his yanked.  I can't imagine how the pressure change felt.

Not to mention eating airline food with stitches in one's mouth. *shudder*
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 04:46:37 PM by MCDingus »

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 04:49:37 PM »
The day I got my wisdom teeth out I went and saw Batman Forever.  I hated the movie, and Fell insisted that it was because I was so medicated.  But no, I think it was because it was a crappy movie.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 04:52:13 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 04:51:31 PM »
Unfortunately, the doctor who performed the surgery had a heart attack that same day and died the next day.

Why do things like this always happen around you, 42?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 05:00:24 PM »
I think it was a crappy movie too.

ANyway, I was supposed to have local anesthetic. so they stuck teh needle in. I didn't feel anything. they left me alone in the room. Then the assistant came in and asked me how I felt. I still didn't feel anything, so I opened my mouth to tell her, and that's when the walls to the room started to fly away. "I feel pretty good," I said. "I think it's time to start," she said. I dunno what happened next. It may have been local anesthetic, but I fell asleep. Next thing I know, they're waking me up to tell me to go. The next think I know after that, they're waking me up to tell me to go again.

My mom led me out to the car, where I sat, perfectly still for about an hour while she got my prescription filled (no idea how long it really was, that's what it felt like) because mom said I wasn't allowed to go to sleep.

So we went home. I ate some chocolate cake and sprite (my family's catch all food, it's soft and we believe it's soothing to the tummy). I threw this up then after a bit, then went to bed.

Next day I was fine.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 05:05:40 PM »
I don't ever have to have mine pulled.  They've never come out and even if they do there's enough room for them to grow out without causeing any problems at all.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 05:16:47 PM »
You know what? I have absolutely no idea.

What are wisdom teeth? I've had a brace in the past, and i eat too much sugar so i have a sizeable chunk of metal in my teeth, but afaik i've never had wisdom teeth done. I might have had a tooth pulled once... not sure.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 05:19:07 PM »
Yeah, but you're from England, so it's no surprise that you're unaware of common dental procedures.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 06:07:29 PM »
/me leafs through the "Big book of British Smiles" and shudders
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 07:02:09 PM »
My wisdom teeth were horrid.  The top two are actually somewhere up inside my gums still, and only the bottom two ever showed up.  I even had plenty of room for them in my mouth.  Unfortunately, those two teeth were constantly getting cavities, and I realized that it would be cheaper just to get them pulled.

Sadly, I am resistant to the shots they gave me.  I had to get stuck with the stupid needle 12 times (that's a LOT of novocaine!) and it still hurt.  Also, one side was kind and took 5 minutes.  The other tooth hated me and took an hour and a half. The dentist told me that it was the most difficult extraction he'd ever done, and he's been practicing dentistry for many, many years. There's still a piece of tooth in there somewhere, because it was close to a nerve, wouldn't come out, and he didn't want to paralyze my face just to get it out (which I very much appreciate).

The one side was fine the next day, but the side with the evil tooth hurt like the dickens for a week.  I ate a lot of yogurt and soup.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 08:04:14 PM »
I only have one wisdom tooth. It's on the top left. The other three just don't exist- x-rays say nada is there.  The one I have started growing in about 2.5 years ago- I first noticed it when I was down in Orlando getting away from the Olympics.

It's all the way in now and the dentist tells me I should have it pulled, but I'm afraid of the pain, and it doesn't hurt me at all, I just have to floss a little harder.

So until it starts causing me pain or doing anything other than chewing food it's stayin'.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan