Author Topic: review: Rifts China book 2  (Read 1808 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: Rifts China book 2
« on: October 07, 2004, 10:12:03 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=869

well, there you go. You can Hero or you can Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon to your heart's content.

Erick Wujcik

Re: review: Rifts China book 2
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 07:37:10 AM »
Hey Fellfrosch, Thanks for the review!

Just in case you haven't heard, there will soon be a Rifts China Three: Master of Magic (see http://store.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=864&Category_Code=CS).

As you can see from the listing in the Palladium Books catalog, it will fill in the "lack of non-martial art magic," you describe in your review, with plenty of magical powers, spells and characters.

Also, I think you'll find that my choice of "Turning Chi into ISP," won't seem quite so "awkward" once you get a handle on how much P.P.E. is used in the 3rd book (had I set Chi = P.P.E., it would have been pretty unbalanced, since P.P.E. is used for so much other stuff).

Erick Wujcik

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 10:16:03 AM »
Holy crap!  Erick Wujick just posted here at TWG.

That's pretty dang cool.

I love Amber Erick, it's one of my favorite gaming books.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:58:55 AM »
hooray for celebrity appearances! And, Too bad no one was talking on the thread about his book!

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 01:36:31 PM »
My question is, has anybody played a campaign in the China setting, and, if so, how was it?

Reviews are nice, but it is always good to hear how they function on a practical level as well.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 03:48:59 PM »
Holy cow, that book came out of nowhere. I suspect that it's mostly comprised of extra material written for the first two books and later cut for space, so I say hooray. Immortals as playable characters gives me a flashback to Mystic China that scratches me right where I itch.

As for for Erick Wujcik posting on our message board, I'm honored. All of those times I called him Palladium's best writer have finally paid off.

Little known fact: when I was in junior high I wrote my own little After the Bomb supplement set under the ocean, and wrote to Erick to ask about getting it published. To my great surprise, not only did he write back, he actually gave me some good writing and publishing advice, without ever telling me that I was just a dumb kid who had no business writing. Encouragement and acceptance like that are rare, and I have incredible respect for the man because of it. And if you're still reading, Erick, I apologize for relating a story that almost certainly makes you feel old.

And by the way, Nicadymus, I am shamed to admit that I haven't had a chance to actually play any Rifts China games, though I've created several characters and sketched out some adventure ideas. My gaming group fell apart a few months ago, and I have yet to rebuild it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 03:51:02 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 03:00:38 AM »
Well if you move back to the Provo/Orem area you know I've been wanting to play Palladium for a while.  My group runs in fear when ever I mention trying something new.

As for us not discussing the book, no surprise considering whenever we do discuss Palladium it allwayse turns into the same discussion wich is more about the company itself and less about the actual book.

It is cool to see Mr Wujcik posting here, I actualy didn't reply yesterday when I saw this becaue I didn't want to make a "stupid post"right after his.  I know he's read our reveiws before since he links to many on his personal website.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 09:34:17 AM »
It is cool to see Mr Wujcik posting here, I actualy didn't reply yesterday when I saw this becaue I didn't want to make a "stupid post"right after his.  I know he's read our reveiws before since he links to many on his personal website.

Yeah, that stupid post was mine! (ok, it wasn't RIGHT after, but still).

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 02:11:45 AM »
Wow, Mr. Erick Wujcik posting here?!  That is so cool!  Is there any way I could get him to sign my RPG books?
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 02:14:29 AM »
Well he does live in China right now (he's working for Ubi soft over there if I'm correct).  Good enough reason to goto China I guess.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

MoreDew

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 02:16:42 AM »
Whoah!!  He lives in China?!  That's freakin awesome!  I might have to consider playing Rifts again if he's writing the books now.  How many Rifts books has he written?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 02:20:55 AM »
You'll have to ask Fell since he's the Rifts Guru here (I'm the Palladium Fantasy guy), but I think only the 3 china books.

MoreDew

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 02:22:53 AM »
It's been so long since I've looked at Rifts books.  I don't know how many there are now.  I think the last book I looked at in the store was the Siege on Tolkeen series.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 02:25:04 AM »
Here's a list of all the books out, then descriptions by Fell, http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=555