Author Topic: WFRP 2nd  (Read 6380 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: WFRP 2nd
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2005, 05:39:08 PM »
Sending you Ashes of Middenheim might work pretty well, Mr. P: I'll only have time to test Plundered Vaults, so dividing up the workload would help us get everything reviewed in good time. How about this: I'll do the main book, the character pack, and Plundered Vaults, and you do the GM Pack, the Bestiary, and Ashes of Middenheim; just paypal me the shipping cost and I'll pop it in the mail. Sound like a deal?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2005, 06:20:48 PM »
That sir, sounds like an excellent idea.

Just send me your paypal link and the shipping cost.

@Entropy:  Someone is updating TEW?  Ooooh, where?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2005, 07:53:13 PM »
Check the BI forums for it, it's on there somewhere. I saw a few mentions of such a thing.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2005, 02:53:10 AM »
The review has landed: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1064

I played this back in high school and loved it; the new edition brings back all that Warhammery goodness and mixes it with cool new elements, a much-needed design balance, and some overall great writing. I highyl recommend it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2005, 03:12:33 AM »
You really need to learn to close your HTML tags Fell, this time it was both the link and italics tags.

Anyway, Both Entropy and Fell teaming up for a review is nothing sacred?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2005, 09:46:20 AM »
Aw man. You lost my bacon introduction! :(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2005, 11:47:12 AM »
Yeah, sorry. I kept most of your stuff, but I couldn't make the bacon thing work.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2005, 12:10:11 PM »
Holy cow, Spriggan: if you thought the html was bad, just imagine how bad the review would have looked if you knew how to spell. That's what I get for writing and editing when it's too late and I have a headache that pulses with unearthly life.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2005, 07:24:40 PM »
You know, for having been around RP gamer for most of my life and hanging around the people that come to this board, I never knew WFRP existed or what it was until I read this review a couple minutes ago. I guess the miniatures obscured it from me.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 07:33:28 PM »
Well, it's never been a huge game, just a well-loved one by its core group of fans. I'm hoping that the new edition will catch on a bit more, but we'll see.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2005, 07:35:28 PM »
Holy cow, Spriggan: if you thought the html was bad, just imagine how bad the review would have looked if you knew how to spell. That's what I get for writing and editing when it's too late and I have a headache that pulses with unearthly life.

Holy cow Fell it's not my job to spell correctly!
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2005, 07:42:41 PM »
I know that, I'm just saying that the article was much worse than you thought. You only pointed out a small portion of its many mistakes.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2005, 07:46:11 PM »
It was more of a friendly reminder, since I usealy fix the end tags (for discuss this in our forums) in 4 out of 5 articles you post.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2005, 03:08:16 AM »
So, my copy of 2nd edition came in the mail yesterday, along with the Bestiary and Plundered Vaults.

I've been going through the rules whenever I have a chance, and I'd like to say that the game is vastly improved in some big ways (particularly magic, and balancing, and a few other things, like actions), and it's worse in a few little ways (I don't like way they treat some of the weapons, I think the way skills are handled now is more D&Dish I don't like it).

Overall I'm glad I got it, but I'm disappointed that anything got worse since 1st edition.  I mean, there was no point for them to to make the skill system stupider, except that now it's more streamlined for moronic players.

I also think there are parts where the D10 really feels "forced" - where other rolls would make more sense, but they kept a D10 just to make everything D10.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2005, 10:16:37 AM »
How is the skills system worse? They added the +10/+20 skill mastery thing, for starters.

Fellfrosch