Author Topic: Mercenaries  (Read 2643 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Mercenaries
« on: January 11, 2005, 01:54:18 AM »
I want this game, anyone seen it yet,...

mmm wanton destruction.....
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 04:30:19 AM »
Only in comercials and Tyco talking about it.

I agree it looks like fun, though it is a Lucasarts game and they haven't had the best trackrecorde in the past years.  However they've revamped their VG deparment and have been getting better so I'm definatly watching the reviews on this one.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 02:02:05 PM »
Is anyone planning on doing a reveiw?  If not, Mad Dr. Jeffe gets my vote as he started this thread.

In any event, I have seen the commercials for it, and it does look appealing.  Any game where I can blow stuff up with regard for the consequences can't be too bad.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

MasterShake

• Level 4
  • U WANNA SHAKE I'LL TAKE IT TO YA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 08:56:15 PM »
Ok so it took awhile but here is my Review of Mercenaries...I just beat it!

The Koreans are back in action in yet another military inspired game, Mercenaries. It seems that western developers have a fascination with the region where this time it’s the North Koreans that are the distinct enemy. Although the term enemy can apply to other races too in a game like Mercenaries, such as the Chinese, South Koreans and even the UN forces. You see, as a free roaming mercenary you have the pleasure of choosing who you work for with no specific allegiances, where you are free to go with the tides of war to line your pockets with cash. This time a North Korean officer has gone all power hungry and is threatening to drop the bomb if his megalomaniac desires aren’t met. The world’s leaders have placed a bounty on this evil dictator’s head and this is where you, the mercenary, step up for the challenge in this free roaming fight for freedom.

Gameplay:

At heart Mercenaries is a 3rd person action title with its roots firmly established in the war category. Players are introduced to the situation at the game’s start and then get to choose from three characters, their mercenary and the guy or girl that they will stick with throughout the lengthy campaign. The characters each have their own set of skills and what is also a nice touch is their understanding of foreign languages which differ depending on what character you decide to choose. The overall objective of the game is to take down the 52 members of the North Korean regime represented by the deck of 52 playing cards, however finding them is not an easy task as these people are often hidden away somewhere across the large maps.

Once you have picked your character its time to start the game and get used to the vast playing field at hand. The first few missions you undertake do a great job of introducing you to the features of the game. Here you will learn about factions which comprise of the AN (Allied Nations), Chinese, South Koreans and the Russian Mafia. These factions will provide you with work and more importantly info on the deck of 52.

MasterShake

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 08:56:45 PM »
What becomes more apparent as you start undertaking missions is that doing work for one faction will affect your relationship with others. As a mercenary this isn’t too much of a worry; however your life could become a lot more hazardous if you step on the wrong shoes, as factions will actually become your enemy if you annoy them too much.

The actual game play is pretty much go to location A kick much butt and then go to location B however what is rather neat is the fact that the open terrain means you can explore to your hearts content. This means that players are able to commandeer many vehicle types to traverse the maps as they please, and due to the maps size this becomes a necessity. Civilian cars, APC’s, tanks, trucks, jeeps and even aircraft are all up for grabs and can be found or hijacked at will. What is also quite neat is if you are on friendly terms with whatever nation’s vehicle you commandeer the troops inside will then become your allies and fighting buddies. So it’s great to load up a helicopter or apc with troops then drive/fly to wherever you are going, unload your troops, then fight together against the North Korean threat. Also what is rather cool is having to return to the faction camps to get more missions rather than them being paged to you automatically. What this meant for me was to find a decent helicopter which I would land in whatever factions courtyard I was working for at the time, then fly to wherever the mission dictated. Once at the target location I would park my helicopter away from the action and then proceed on foot to the mission objectives. Once these were complete I would hot foot it back to my helicopter and get a quick flight back to the faction base.

MasterShake

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 08:57:01 PM »
One of the big features of Mercenaries is the use of various tools (which can be purchased with your hard earned cash) that you have at your disposal in the form of air drops, which can provide vehicles and much needed supplies on demand. More of these are unlocked the more you explore and complete missions. What is also highly cool are the numerous support commands that can be used at any time which include things like bunker busting bombs, carpet bombing and surgical strike craft. These can cost quite a lot of cash if they are not being provided free during missions but are crucial for certain objectives.

Mercenaries does a great job of giving the player as much freedom as possible, which means the game can be played in many different ways. Whilst mission objectives might be clear cut, the way in which you undertake these is very much up to the player. Also between missions you are free to travel the lands to do as you please. Being a major war zone means that there is always some action to be found and if you explore enough you might even stumble across one of the deck of 52 without “Intel” from a faction.

Combat is probably Mercenaries biggest draw; however it is also its biggest downfall. For a start there are too few weapons in the game and the ones that are available are the usual mix of rifles, rpgs and grenades. Actual combat with the enemies seems a little uninspiring, as the AI is questionable at times. That said with the plethora of support items that can be used means that it remains fun all the same. For an extra challenge and to gain more cash players are encouraged to take down the deck of 52 with non lethal means. This requires getting close to the target and cuffing them. Sounds easy, but in reality is not, as some of them are well defended and won’t go down without a fight. This added element makes the game a lot more tactical and offers something extra to try if you have already beaten the game.

Graphics:

Mercenaries is a multi format release and it shows as the graphics could be a lot better on Xbox. However what is available does look reasonable and conveys the war zone quite well. It seems that every thing can be interacted with including destroying any buildings (although you cannot enter these) that you see before you, which is rather cool. The character models do look rather bland but at the end of the day the game play is where it really counts for a title with such scale as this. It would be nice to have such a broad game with great graphics but unfortunately that isn’t going to happen on this generation of consoles. Either way the frame rate remains consistent throughout which is in Xbox’s favour as things can get a little intense.

Sound:

Sound is rather good as there are number of ambient sounds going on all over the map. These range from distant war sounds to foreign voices being spoken over a Tannoy system. There are a number of characters that are reasonably performed by decent voice acting talent however they won’t be winning any awards for their dialogue which remains what you would expect from a game such as this. Gun sounds and explosions are all catered for and sound as you might imagine them. On their own the overall sound in the game is pretty standard, however combined they do a grand job of creating some much needed atmosphere throughout.

Longevity:

Mercenaries is not one of these games that can be completed in a day or two and in this respect is one of its major plus points. With so much to explore and generally mess around with makes Mercenaries a game that will last the average player quite some time. There are many hidden items to find in the game and missions are good enough to warrant a second or even third play through. The inclusion of the factions and the non lethal takedowns also add a lot more replay-ability to the game as players can opt to try something different on subsequent plays. Whilst not really an issue as far as I’m concerned there is no multiplayer, although in retrospect an online mode could have been quite good for players to get stuck into either co-operatively or otherwise. Either way, it’s not included and at this stage is not really a requirement even though it would have been a nice inclusion.

Overall:

Mercenaries is a very good game and quite a departure from Pandamic’s other project Knights of the Old Republic 2. With game play very similar to the “Strike” series of old school gaming, Mercenaries is Grand Theft Auto military style. This approach works very well and makes for a highly entertaining title indeed. Whilst not necessarily looking as good as it should on Xbox, Mercenaries is a worthy title for your collection all the same. Whilst some elements could be considered repetitive the pacing of the game is such that it’s great to just pick up and play for while. I suggest renting if you are unsure of this title but at the end of the day I would say buy it as you wont finish it during the rental period; and of course you can never tire of hijacking helicopters and then carpet bombing unsuspecting troops from a vantage point. Solid, entertaining, a little repetitive but a great blast overall and worthy of your cash.

MasterShake

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »
*cracks knuckles and sits back taking a sigh of relief* That should be more than enogh info for all u gamers out there who want to buy the game!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 08:59:25 PM »
"you"
The word is "you"

MasterShake

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 09:10:55 PM »
"you"
The word is "you"

wow u're soooooo funny >:(

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 09:15:39 PM »
I don't mean to be. You've been told several times, and you keep ignoring. I'm serious. It's "you," not "u"

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 09:22:35 PM »
...just what makes you think we want you to copy/paste 2 pages worth of a review when there is the wonderful and scintillating world of HyperText Markup Language Hyperlinks?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 12:19:32 AM »
Hey, mastershake, if you're interested you could submit this review through the link on the main (non-forum) page. Our editors will look at it and potentially post it. We are a review site, after all--we love reviews.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 09:37:18 AM »
Fellfrosch thats an IGN review. I recognise the review structure. I don't advice claiming it as our own.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 09:53:52 AM »
Ya, I posted about this in another thread too.  I just didn't see Entropy's original post about it here since reading some of these threads make my head hurt.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 11:47:23 AM »
I'm not saying we'll post it, just that we'll look at it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net