Author Topic: Pixel Shader???  (Read 2546 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Pixel Shader???
« on: March 16, 2005, 05:42:31 PM »
So I just got Republic Commando.

Everytime I open the game it tells me that I don't have Pixel Shader 1.1.  Running a diagnostic confirms that it's the only requirement my computer doesn't meet.  Looking around online I cannot figure out what Pixel Shader is or how to get it.  I have the latest drivers and direct x.  Grrrr.

Help.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Pixel Shader???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 07:11:32 PM »
Sorry Mr. P, Pixel Shader is a hardwhere feature and you've got to buy a new card to get it.  You'll probaly have to buy a card with 128 megs of ram to get it (since its only on new ones).  Though I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to turn off the feature through a command file somewhere.

This like this is why I allwayse check VC support for games via thier website.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 07:15:52 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 08:56:38 PM »
heh. You don't have to worry about this kind of stuff when you know your processor isn't manly enough for any of the new games.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
Looking around, I figured it out for myself.  I've also discovered that my particular card is one of the few GEForce cards not supported by the next gen of games.

sigh.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 09:37:50 PM »
send your old card to me. I can use it.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 12:51:35 AM »
As soon as I get a new one you've got a deal.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:55:49 AM »
sweeeeeet.
/me hooks Mr. P up somehow.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 11:26:53 AM »
I had the same thing happen. I was running a GeForce MMX 440. No pixel shading there.
There are some decent cards in the $150 range. Almost anything you buy will be able to do pixel shading. I picked up a GeForce 5700 for $160 and have been very happy with it.
You'll also need a shader card if you want to play the new Star Wars Lego game coming out. There's already a demo out. I have to say this was by far one of the most enjoyable SW gaming experiences I've ever had.
And now City of Heroes costumes are shiny!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 11:31:24 AM »
This is a good place to announce this:

I'm starting a side business in the relatively near future doing maintenance, repair, upgrades, and counseling to home PC users in my area, in their homes, so they don't have to take their box anywhere. To do this, I'll need a lot of spare working parts, so if any of you have spare parts of any sort lying around that you aren't using and you can bear to part with, I'd love to have them. I don't care if they're new or old: new is cool, for obvious reaons, but old ones don't have the bells and whistles are are good for getting minimum functionality to troubleshoot problems.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 08:02:27 PM »
I had the same thing happen. I was running a GeForce MMX 440. No pixel shading there.
There are some decent cards in the $150 range. Almost anything you buy will be able to do pixel shading. I picked up a GeForce 5700 for $160 and have been very happy with it.
You'll also need a shader card if you want to play the new Star Wars Lego game coming out. There's already a demo out. I have to say this was by far one of the most enjoyable SW gaming experiences I've ever had.
And now City of Heroes costumes are shiny!

Hey, I have a GeForce MX 440 too!  

But not for long.  I have found a sweet deal of an upgrade for me... http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-130-197&DEPA=1

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 07:38:22 AM »
I had the same problem running Deus Ex 2. I bought a new FX card, but it only seemed to work for that particular game. It made everything else on my computer sluggish, especially Morrowind. I don't think I installed it right. I had to take it out and put my old MX card back in.

SE, I'd be willing to send you my FX card probably. Is there any compensation for it? It's fine if there isn't, but I did pay $100 for it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 07:40:20 AM by OnionofDeath »
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 07:53:00 AM »
This is my new Graphics Card

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-179&depa=1

Or it will be once Tage gets it and the rest of the parts to my new PC.

This is my RAM too
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-156-020&DEPA=1

I'm only posting that becaue I love the user reviews.  The very last one, and the only one that didn't give them a perfect score, is someone who's upset that more RAM didn't speed up his dial-up modem download speed.   ::)  It's a hoot to read.
Nothing special it works. No different than 256 single ram I had in my computer before this. I only have diul up internet service. So if you have only diul up and think or gonna get a speed boost. Don't do it. Save your money
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 08:00:23 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 08:56:23 AM »
sprig, that's funny.

Onion, right now I don't have startup cash, but I'm sure I could work out some sort of favor system in the future. I've been known to give out computer components I'm not using to people who are in need (should something happen). So, yeah, basically I'm asking everyone for favors. Which means if people are going to possibly use their old computer components, hold on to them. I will, of course, repay any and all shipping.
Should I send you an email with my info Onion?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 09:06:31 AM »
This is a good place to announce this:

I'm starting a side business in the relatively near future doing maintenance, repair, upgrades, and counseling to home PC users in my area, in their homes, so they don't have to take their box anywhere. To do this, I'll need a lot of spare working parts, so if any of you have spare parts of any sort lying around that you aren't using and you can bear to part with, I'd love to have them. I don't care if they're new or old: new is cool, for obvious reaons, but old ones don't have the bells and whistles are are good for getting minimum functionality to troubleshoot problems.

Dono if I will or not SE, my PC is about 6 years old too, I have been tossing around the idea of useing my old PC as a server sometime in the near future.  Earl said that I could use my Comcast cable connection instead of a dedicated line for this so it's been fueling thoughts, thoughts of DOOM!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 09:45:05 AM »
THE FILE SERVER OF DOOM! IT SHALL SERVE DOOM! TO YOU!

no, it's cool. I'm mean, it's your stuff.