Author Topic: DaVinci Code  (Read 13808 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: DaVinci Code
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2006, 05:06:59 PM »
These movies got much better reviews than this one, and the only reason I can see is that this movie offends the unthinking christian.  I say unthinking because, either you didn't realize that this story offended you and thusly avoided it (an opinion I greatly support), or you had no idea that the historical events mentioned actually took place and are therefore presented with new information to shake your faith.

If this was not a direct personal assault on the reviewers, their reviewing methods, and their faith, then I don't know what is.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2006, 05:10:50 PM »
my point about being offended, is that if you knew the subject matter was not your thing, why did you see/read it in the first place?  and if you did anyway, why should a piece of fiction have such a great impact on you that you are offended?

Again, who on this board is complaining about offense?  Certainly not the review.

also, mustard, since you want a reply, it must really really irk you to have had to change your next book to be more like this psuedo-intellectual trash.

Cage it, buddy!

Yes, I changed my book to be more Da Vinci Code-ish.  I liked the Da Vinci Code.  It was a fun, goofy book.  And it sold really well.

But the thing is, I realize that Da Vinci Code is a fiction novel, with fictional facts, and manipulation of the truth.  Likewise, my book is full of conspiracies and manipulated history, all of which has a basis in fact, but the majority of which is baloney.  It's fiction.  It's a good story.  Unlike Dan Brown (and his irrational followers), I don't claim that my book is all true.

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2006, 05:31:43 PM »
no, reactionary was my posts a long time ago regarding tim burton.

I had to wait a few minutes after reading this review before I posted a reply because so many things rushed into my mouth I was choked silent.  I do not want to make this a big thing, but I have a few points I want to make.

^-- pretty darn reactionary.

why should you listen to me?  why should anyone listen to anyone on this site?  Why should I listen to you? because you're a few years ahead of me in college?  I haven't written my masters thesis yet, so your views are obviously superior to mine.  I must have missed the day we all submitted our credentials for review.

What is this about anyway? I"m not sure what inspired this paragraph

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2006, 05:35:04 PM »
That was in response to Parker.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2006, 05:41:17 PM »
I'd honestly love to see your guys' family reunion, heck I'm surprised that I haven't seen the Wells's on Cops.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »
Not Cops.  Jerry Springer.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2006, 05:47:16 PM »
Funny thing is, I think Mormons especially don't mind Dan Brown claiming that Jesus might have been married. He really might have been. It's Dan Brown's conclusions that are silly--and not based on any evidence or logic--that because Jesus was married, therefore he couldn't have been divine. Hogwash. It's all a bunch of hogwash. But! most fiction is. I am not offended. Just not terribly entertained by something that really isn't that earthshaking.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2006, 05:47:22 PM »

and I don't recall that I insulted anyone.  I made general comments that if someone took to mean them personally that's their fault.  I have not ripped into anyone personally this entire thread and I resent the implications that I have.

I can find where you insulted someone

" also, mustard, since you want a reply, it must really really irk you to have had to change your next book to be more like this psuedo-intellectual trash."

that seems insulting to me

Id have to say hun, I think your getting a little too emotionally invested in this discussion... but thats just my opinion
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2006, 05:47:54 PM »
 I haven't written my masters thesis yet, so your views are obviously superior to mine.  I must have missed the day we all submitted our credentials for review.

Actually intellectually yes, his views on the subject are superior. Parkers thesis is now a part of the academic record, submitted for peer review and published by his university. The fact that he did copious amounts of research and supported it by fact, with references proves that. You can even go and check it out and use it as a resource. As a credential it certainly outweighs "I read a lot of books.". Sorry if that sounds elitist but thats life.

I'd honestly love to see your guys' family reunion, heck I'm surprised that I haven't seen the Wells's on Cops

or Law and Order...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 05:49:36 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2006, 05:48:53 PM »
And yes, I've read the book. Dan Brown knows how to end a chapter on a cliffhanger. He's a little too expositiony for my tastes--he really loves the tell, and doesn't always get the idea of showing.

But, like the review says, bleh. I really don't care either way. I just don't want to spend my money on a movie for which I didn't particularly care for the storytelling of the book. It was too melodramatic for my tastes.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2006, 05:54:05 PM »
Just read a post on CNN--Akiva Goldman's been signed on by Columbia to adapt Angels & Demons.  As I still haven't seen the movie, I have nothing to add to that, but discuss away.

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2006, 06:27:46 PM »
oh fantastic.... that should be interesting....
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »
everyone I know who's read Browns books says that thats the better one. So that should be interesting.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2006, 06:39:55 PM »

Actually intellectually yes, his views on the subject are superior. Parkers thesis is now a part of the academic record, submitted for peer review and published by his university. The fact that he did copious amounts of research and supported it by fact, with references proves that. You can even go and check it out and use it as a resource. As a credential it certainly outweighs "I read a lot of books.". Sorry if that sounds elitist but thats life.

His views on the subject of adaptation perhaps, but as he didn't write it on the subject of the DaVinci Code, the Holy Grail, the Knights Templar, or anything else relevant I fail to see how it relates at all.

Also, by your criteria, shouldn't you then take Dan Brown on his word?  he did all of that too.

And I didn't insult my brother, I quoted him.

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2006, 06:41:45 PM »

But the thing is, I realize that Da Vinci Code is a fiction novel, with fictional facts, and manipulation of the truth.  Likewise, my book is full of conspiracies and manipulated history, all of which has a basis in fact, but the majority of which is baloney.  It's fiction.  It's a good story.  Unlike Dan Brown (and his irrational followers), I don't claim that my book is all true.

neither does Dan Brown