Author Topic: Nanowrimo 2005  (Read 12860 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Nanowrimo 2005
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »
I'm going to get my cord replaced today, I hope. I don't want to spend $80, but I don't want to wait four or five more days for it to get here. I'll go out at lunch and see what I can find.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2005, 02:26:46 PM »
Good luck.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2005, 04:13:16 PM »
I have updated the report card for the last time I'll do it this year. I just updated all the dates manually. But they all say 2005 now.
Get it again if you want it, or don't
I'll change 'em to 2006 next October.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2005, 12:37:24 AM »
3143! Yay! At least I'm back in motion. I have to run out to a birthday party, but I'm hoping I'll have time when I get back home to do a little more after that. I'm nowhere near catching up, but at least I'm writing.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2005, 02:46:29 AM »
1829.  I'm slowly picking up speed.  More than half of that was written today.  Tomorrow I want to double it again.  I'm also prewriting and not counting my prewriting towards the wordcount.

We'll see how I do, wot.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2005, 03:03:44 AM »
Well finally got to about 98% done code wise, unless I decide to add in some new feature like I kinda did over the weekend.  Though graphics are the time consuming factor so I've got a lot left to do.  Also I've got a free-lance job now so I've got very little time to work on this over the next two weeks.

Oh, and I added another 677 lines of code.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 03:04:38 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2005, 08:38:11 PM »
Over 4,000 now.  

I'm actually at word count if you count the complete outline I did yesterday and the work I did on the first novel, which sadly I can't.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2005, 02:34:01 AM »
Must . . . make . . . goal. . . for . . . day.

154 words to go.

[a few hours of helping Ari with her homework and other procrastinations pass]

2064 ruddy words written today.  I'd congratulate myself if I weren't so terribly far behind still.  This is the first day I've managed to break 2000.

Wordperfect gives my count as 4,954.  I have a long ways to go.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 03:53:12 AM by JadeKnight »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »
Hey, but you're beating me!  Go you!
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2005, 09:35:11 PM »
What do you do when you hate the book you're writing?

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2005, 12:00:06 AM »
Rewrite it so that you don't hate it.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2005, 04:14:31 AM »
I tried a different tack - prewriting à la FreeMind.

I've totally got some new ammo for my story and I'm into it again.

My problem was that I was writing boring stuff, and I didn't know how to avoid it.  I've discovered that giving the protagonist someone to hate is a wonderful way to make a story interesting again.

Besides, I'm doing so poorly with NaNoWriMo as it is that I don't dare go and rewrite my novel from scratch.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 04:15:07 AM by JadeKnight »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2005, 12:59:15 PM »
Yeah, the question is, do you hate it because you're not writing the book you want to write, or do you hate it just because you're in the middle of it and it's hard?  I usually fall into the latter category.  Right now I hate the second book I'm writing--mostly because my writer's group has become the voice of my internal editor.  I can hear the criticism already, and the book isn't even written yet.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2005, 01:54:26 PM »
Internal editors are the bane of Nanowrimo (well, writing in general, but speed-writing in particular).

I often find myself writing boring stuff and not knowing how to get out of it. Part of that is my subconscious insistence on writing every second of every day my characters experience, which is stupid. I can keep going and make it all tolerable, but I don't want to because I just want to get to the cool part and skip all the junk in between. I'm still learning how to wrap up a scene quickly and move on.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2005, 04:39:43 PM »
The problem is that I don't even know what parts are cool.  This is my first novel ever, and I've no clue about pacing.

Really, the reason I hated it is because my writing was boring and I didn't see that changing.  I met with the local NaNoWriMo-ers in Montréal on Wednes, though, and they gave me a few good ideas.  Yesterday I did some new mindmapping and prewriting, and I'm okay again - I just have to write in a way that isn't boring (by having interesting characters and automatic conflict), rather than worrying about having a story that isn't boring.