Author Topic: Help! I need somebody.  (Read 7097 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Help! I need somebody.
« on: November 19, 2003, 12:00:25 PM »
Alright, I need a topic for my research paper. I was thinking of video game violence, and with young children's toys and such. If you think this is good, maybe suggest some websites with stuff about it.

And yes, this was partially influenced by that WATCH topic or whatever. No I haven't really looked at the website.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Help! I need somebody.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 12:24:16 PM »
Gemm, I can't help you unless you are willing to help yourself.

And Websites are notoriously bad places to find research information. I suggest the library.

I think that's probably a good topic, but only if you have time to research for it to make sure there are plenty of studies on the subject. If this is a last minute thing, you may want to stick to something a little more boring that is sure to have plenty of material to write from.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 12:37:07 PM »
Well its a sort of last minute thing. I have until next monday to get it done. And I'm thinking a 4-5 page paper. (Since our teacher didn't tell us how long, we usually have to make up how long we want it ourselves)
                William S. Burroughs

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 12:42:24 PM »

You've waited until now to write a research paper due on Monday?  I'm teaching research papers in my Freshman Comp class right now, and I gave them three weeks to write the thing.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 01:26:39 PM »
ignore EUOL, he thinks he's responsible.

Don't ignore MoD, at least START doin' yer friggin' research before asking for help

As for what value web sites have; it depends on the site. CNN and such are fairly reliable sources.

Also, what kind of paper are you doing? Argument? Interpretive? What?

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 02:57:02 PM »
Websites are a good place to start with collecting ideas and getting feel for what's out there. So you can usually get all your basic information from websites. After that you will need to hit the library. Course, it's best to go to the library website before you go so you know what you'll be looking for and if they have it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 03:09:22 PM »
I had several professors who refused to allow any internet research.  While I don't entirely agree with that (although I mostly do), it's a good idea to check with your prof before you waste your time on research you aren't allowed to cite.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 03:11:02 PM »
Also, when selecting a topic. Usually I find I get the best grade when I pick an obscure subject that the instructor knows nothing about. For English instructors, usually anything that requires puting in math equations in your paper will almost always garnish a good grade. Plus, it's easier to sound smart and to peak the interest of the instructor when it's an obscure subject. the downside is that there may not be as many resources to draw upon.

Some good obscure topics I've seen in the past:

• The Practical Uses of Neolithic Monolith Structures
  • Proponents of Castration for Sex Offenders
  • The Ecological Destruction of Lake Powell
  • Animorphs: People Who Feel They are Really an Animal in a Human Body
  • The Social Behavior of Role-Playing

So does that give you some ideas. Basicly obscure practices, fields of study, time-periods and locations make great reading. Your instructor has probably read many papers on abortion, capitol punishment, media-violence and the like. So perhaps, something like the theraputic effects of video games for people with moderate anxiety and depression, might be a better subject.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 04:05:11 PM »
42 has the right idea. And I never said I was responsible SE. I hate the stuff. And as for citing works, I don't remember my teacher telling us that we had to cite our sources. And as for you EUOL.. hmmm wait. I am thinking you are teaching the high school stuffs, but I may be wrong. The only reason I don't use the library more often is because there are too many books. I find one book on something and yet it is full of crap. And so I've wasted my time going through the book and such. Internet is fast. I am lazy, something fierce.

Lastly, who is this Lake Powell, and can I get an interview?
                William S. Burroughs

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 04:41:11 PM »
my child, you need to be set straight on a number of things

First, I said EUOL thought HE was responsible. You are one of the last people I'd call responsible here.

Second, EUOL teaches college freshmen.

However, most important is citing sources.

YOU NEVER EVER EVER NEVER write a paper without citing sources. let me repeat. YOU NEVER EVER EVER NEVER write a paper without citing sources.

THat amounts to theft, dishonesty, and cheating. It will get you kicked out of most colleges. It's almost always a university wide policy and it is unncecessary to repeat in a specific class that you must use proper citation. This is INCREDIBLY serious stuff, as it amounts to the life work of many academics being bastardized and plagiarized when you don't. In many cases, improper citation is criminal.

CITE YOUR SOURCES WHEN YOU TURN IN YOUR PAPER. Use this as a mantra for the rest of your life. It will get you busted professionally as well.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 05:37:03 PM »
Yeah, you better cite your sources.  Don't argue, just do it.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 06:03:27 PM »
If you're not an elementary student you should cite your sources. Also, remember to cite and caption images, if you are using any.

If you have done your intenet searching correctly, you will be able to sort out what info you want from the big library books, which will probably have more information than you specifically need for your paper. Periodicals are good source, usually. Newspapers are okay, but usually don't contain much information beyond essentials. I actually think that websites are equal or superior to newspapers.

Interviews are great. And Lake Powell is not a person, though it did have a cameo in The Hulk.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 07:24:18 PM »
"When I was younger, so much younger than todaaaay, I never needed anybody's help in any way.

That sounds like an ok topic- the important thing is, make it something you're really really interested in.  If it's not something you're REALLY interested in, I'll bet you anything you won't read enough sources on it.  So if video games and violence is interesting enough for you to want to read a bunch of stuff on it, do it.  

And yes- go to the library. If you have to use the Net, use sites that are well-established, like the site for a real-life newspaper- something that has a real business behind it, and cites its sources too.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 07:27:40 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 07:34:24 PM »
Yes, well I don't like research papers, period. Nor do I like politics, or arguing, or persuading people, or most things that involve writing for a class.
                William S. Burroughs

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 07:36:58 PM »