Author Topic: The Dark Blade... frustrations. No Spoilers  (Read 3001 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Blade... frustrations. No Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 05:35:29 PM »
Maybe you just need to write this chapter so you can move on and later you will be able to write it the way it should be.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 07:45:26 PM »
SE, I think MoD is right. You proably just need to let it go for now, so you can keep writing.

This is just a comparison to other arts, but musicians don't expect to have perfect performance everytime. That's why they practice. Artists and illustrators don't expect to create an award-winning master-piece everytime or even every stroke to be perfect. But for some reason, a lot of writers want what they write to be brilliant every-time. Well you just can't be on all the time. Some chapters are going to be sub-par to others. But if you focus your energy into the right parts, then the whole turns out just fine.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 10:00:10 PM »
I'm not going for perfect. I'm going for passable.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 10:16:01 AM »
Well, then it can't possibly be as bad as you think it is.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 10:30:22 AM »
yes it could. Of course it could. In fact, realistically speaking, it could be much, much worse than I think.

I'm also taking issue with your thought that my trying to get it right is being unrealistic. THis IS the practice. Practicing isn't going through the motions and thinking "well, that's crap, but it's done. Enough of that." Practicing is doing something crap, then figuring out WHY it was crap and doing it over in a less crap way. This is my third attempt at this same set of events. I'm practicing. I'm trying over and over. I'm trying to acheive a quality level I think I've already hit in the other chapters, so it's not an unrealistic goal.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004, 11:16:06 AM »
I think you misunderstood 42. I don't think he was encouraging you to set your sites lower and be "okay" with producing crap.

There comes a time in everything when the next revision is only going to make it worse. Not that the paper, the picture, the chapter couldn't use improvement, because that will always be true. However, it is also important to understand when it is time to let this piece be what it's going to be and move on to the next one.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2004, 05:28:13 PM »
I guess reiterating what MoD said. It's one thing to feel that you can do better. It's something else to keep fidgeting with your work trying to get it better, so much that you create a block for yourself that is unnessesary.

So the question is, is it really worth fixing?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 11:01:59 AM »
yes. I need to do this for my own esteem.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2004, 09:06:40 PM »
I love the quote under Mr. Man.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2004, 05:10:27 PM »
heh, I placed that there while my title was "martyr."

anyway, things are going better. It's taken forever, but I'm on page 5 of the chapter now, and it's working out a lot better. I just needed to do it over like 50 times