• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Read?
« on: May 02, 2003, 08:00:38 PM »
Ok, so the game I was going to GM tomorrow night has been cancelled. Do I finish my preparations anyway so I don't have to do that the night before? Or do I read?

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Read?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 01:11:45 PM »
Read what, though?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 02:02:48 PM »
I ended up reading, fyi. I read the remaining 100 pages of Decipher's LOTR rpg (and yes, I likeys) and the first 100 pages of Atlas Games' Feng Shui game (not sure I likeys as much, but it's simple and fast so far as I can tell). I also read about 100 pages of Terry Brooks "Jerle Shannara" series, which is the book that comes closest to making me agree with everyone about how bad a writer Brooks is. I'm going to have to re-read Running With the Demon to keep me from hating him eternally. And yet, I'm diving into volume two still... sigh.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 05:53:37 PM »
I read 'Running with the Demon' a few years back and thought it was pretty entertaining, though I never read its sequel 'Knight of the Word.'

I own Feng Shui and like it for over the top one-shots.  I love the setting.  Goofy, but  packed with loads of over the top fun!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 06:38:01 PM »
I think I don't like the limited randomness. You have a die result of -5 to 5, which I guess is a space of 11. I'd kinda like to try it with a d10 instead of a d6, giving you a range from -9 to 9. Although critical fails or successes would be more rare. You can compensate for that (if you feel you need to) by making any match a crit. OR, you could make the 0 on the d10 be an actual zero, which gives you from -8 to 8, and then anything combined with a 0 is a crit. If you want to complicate things, you could make the negative die coming up as a "0" result in a bad side effect, even if you succeed, and the positive die result of "0" minimizing bad effects fo failures and enhancing successes. Hrm... I'm thinking of trying that.

And yeah, it's weird that it's a big book designed for what are essentially going to be treated as quick and dirty movie recreations, but I think you could do a whole campaign with a good gm.

And one more thing about FS, I no longer feel any attachment to d20 Modern. I've always thought that it was really only going to be a good system for doing a "jackie chan" or "Arnold" movie type story, but that it did a pretty decent job at that. However, Feng Shui is winning me over with the single exception of the dice, Weird. Maybe I'll get used to it. I believe it works much better for the action movie recreation (which it is supposed to be). So, I guess the only reason I would play d20 Modern now is if I was interested in being able to convert over to D&D or d20 Traveller (which I hate, so I find it unlikely). It also means I'll have difficulty NOT panning the "Urban Arcana" book WotC just sent. Maybe I'll trade that in along with the "Unknown East" or whatever it is that Wizards also sent me. Fell, you got that already and have someone excited to review them?

I guess with all I've written I should do a review. That and one of Unknown Armies (also by Atlas) should be coming soon.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 06:39:36 PM »
Er.. also: Knight of the Word is worth reading as well as RwtD. However, Angel Fire East, while better written than his Shannara series, is not up to par with the rest of it's own series. Still. it's pretty decent. I recommend checking them out.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 07:06:21 PM »
Feng Shui does have the best rule in the history of gaming though:  A shotgun will do extra damage if the player makes a "Ka-Ching" (the sound the author's say a shotgun makes when cocking...it's really more of a 'shick-shuck') between shots.

How cool is that!

But you're right, Ehlers, the dice system is a little funky.  I always thought it would be great to convert Star Wars to it.  There are several conversions around the net, but none are that great.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
'Re: Read?
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 07:31:19 PM »
Yes. I like that one. It's like Ninja Burger's rule that you have to say the spell name when you cast it (which is HOW you cast it).

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 11:17:15 PM »
Saint, we've got people excited about Urban Arcana and Unaproachable East, so feel free to do with them what you will.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 09:10:56 AM »
Eric I have a lot of other Feng Shui books too, I will say that Golden Comeback opens up a lot more customization in characters as do the two Era books (the one about the modern Transformed Animal ruled Genre and the Buro future book) all the books have new templates for characters to customize and a list of places to blow up.  

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 09:29:16 AM »
Saint, we've got people excited about Urban Arcana and Unaproachable East, so feel free to do with them what you will.

Yay! I will now own Usagi and BESM! To asuage my consience, I will write a review of Usagi (BESM has already been done). Too bad my Races of Faerun book is dinged. Maybe a used store will take that off my hands along with Silver Marches and Faiths and Pantheons.

I don't think I'm going to buy many source books in the future. I don't get a whole lot of use out of them. Especially for non-major systems. I still like getting the D&D ones, but for everything else....

For example, LOTR, I can run a game just fine using only the core book. I'm not even remotely tempted to get the source books for the movies. And with Feng Shui, I really don't need era books. I have an idea what they're like, and few other people I play with will. If they do, than it's to my advantage to invalidate most of what they know about it. And I could make templates and shticks for that in my sleep, and I've only read ~half the book. That's the point, it's such an easy system Besides, most people who've read my reviews know how I feel about setting books.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2003, 10:49:54 AM »
 ???But I have them and they are free...

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2003, 06:57:57 PM »
Best reason to like this book:

"As far as can be determined, hopping vampires don't wear black very often and only rarely suffer from angst. They're too busy menacing square-jawed action heroes and turning the hero's best friend into an undead creature of the night." p. 170