Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith -- Spoilers!  (Read 9199 times)

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Sith -- Spoilers!
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2005, 12:24:52 PM »
It's not like anything in any of the dialog stated that it had to be her birth mother.

Luke: "Do you remember your mother?  Your real mother?"

Oh, and everything Anakin said before he stopped Windu was his way of trying to convince Mace.  Using an argument he thought would work on Mace.  "Its not the Jedi Way" "Capture him" etc...
It had Nothing to do with his motivation.  Anakin didnt give a frell about the Jedi way at that point.  He had set that asside when he left the Council chamber to stop the attack.  
He NEEDED Palpantine for his own selfish intrests.  That was all
Alles!!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2005, 12:37:22 PM »
and we assume then that Leia KNEW she was adopted?

I disagree that it still has no significance. What did Luke have? A harsh life on a moisture farm on a desert with an Uncle who doesn't want him to do the things he wants.
What did his twin sister have? A life of luxury and opportunity (she was a senator at the same age Luke was trying to break away and go to school for heaven's sake!) and she knew a mother the whole time. Luke didn't. He grew up knowing it was his father's brother and his wife.

Meh. THere were problems with this movie, but it was primarily weak dialog. Gunning down continuity errors seems a little bit anal, especially when we're talking about a movie series where a major character claims to have "made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs"

CinderEllie

• Level 3
  • Whoever Wrote This Episode Should Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2005, 03:46:09 PM »

Oh, and everything Anakin said before he stopped Windu was his way of trying to convince Mace.  Using an argument he thought would work on Mace.  "Its not the Jedi Way" "Capture him" etc...
It had Nothing to do with his motivation.  Anakin didnt give a frell about the Jedi way at that point.  He had set that asside when he left the Council chamber to stop the attack.  
He NEEDED Palpantine for his own selfish intrests.  That was all

Yes, I agree with Oseleon although, at first, I was of the same mind as EUOL on this. It seemed totally implausible for him to protest Mace killing Palpy outright and then to just kneel down like a whipped boy and pledge alleigance to the Sith Lord. But then I reconsidered. I think he was just trying to have it both ways by appealing to Mace's Jedi code. Anakin wanted to keep Palpy alive but he also didn't want to give up all his ties to being a Jedi just yet. So his killing of Mace is a powerful turning point YET it just seemed so weird to have him act completely listless and obedient after killing out of passion.
I DO however still have a problem with Anakin killing the "younglings." I think his progression to the dark side was too sudden in this respect. After all, he's trying to save his own youngling(s).  But all in all, I think Ep3 is the best of the prequels. Why: Less plot problems, a silent Jar Jar :D, and darker story.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 03:49:51 PM by CinderEllie »
Nothing beats chocolate on a bad day, unless you're an M&M

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2005, 03:54:54 PM »
well, let's be fair. He's already decided his wife (who is the one he wants to save, he never talks about saving the babies) is more important than anything else. How does killing other people's kids change that? in a multi-species environment like star wars, I would assume that killing children of another species isn't too far from killing those of your own species. He already had these dark tendencies, and he's letting Sidious twist those tendencies. He barely recognizes when his new master changes from saving Padme to gaining more power.
And, he does hesitate. He doesn't run into the room slashing his light saber.

CinderEllie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2005, 04:00:38 PM »
Yeah, okay, I'll give you that he does hesitate and he is more concerned w/ Padme than his kid(s).  (How pathetic was his reaction to Padme telling him the news? Now there's a happy papa-to-be). But I guess I feel like the whole "give in to your anger" aspect of the Dark Side is practically nonexistent in ep3 whereas in ep2, he kills all the sandpeople out of anger and hate.  Anakin only really gets angry rather than sorrowful at the very end when talking to Padme on the lava planet and then dueling Obi-Wan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2005, 04:08:17 PM »
i have to disagree with that last action. He does the force choke on her. He screams at them both. Doesn't seem like sad. Seems like pissed.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2005, 04:20:06 PM »
That's what she said.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2005, 04:40:14 PM »
er... yeah.

How about that weather we're having? Certainly is a lot of it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2005, 05:49:56 PM »
Yeah, it's almost knee-deep.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

CinderEllie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2005, 07:21:56 PM »
Hmm. Oops. I should've edited my post better. Darn grammar. I wasn't saying he was sorrowful at those moments. I was saying that UP UNTIL when he attacks Padme and Obi-Wan, he's sad but not really angry.

(i.e. Anakin only gets really angry--instead of sorrowful--at the very end when talking to Padme on the lava planet and then dueling Obi-Wan)

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2005, 07:55:35 PM »
Time for my once-every-three-months post to put down my opinions.  ;)

Anyway, regarding Anakin's turn to the dark side, I personally think it was too quick while in Palpatine's presence. I can understand cooperating with Palpatine and doing what he asks, but not pledging undying allegiance five seconds after yelling "What have I done?" (My own plot-hole bridge is that Palpatine used the lapse in Anakin's guard to shove a meme into Anakin's mind, hence the reason why Anakin looks stoned at the time.)

And regarding the younglings, I actually didn't have a problem with Anakin doing that (I mean, plot wise. I'm not condoning the slaughter of cute Jedi children, after all :) ). It seemed to me that he was basically thinking "I don't want to do this, but I have to." Kind of a resigned, bitter acceptance, or at least that's what I got from his facial expression. (My wife has determined that Hayden Christensen is a very good actor when he doesn't have to speak. Look at ep2 and ep3; all his best moments are when he's completely silent, and he actually does a good job of showing emotion)

So that's my two cents. Take 'em or leave 'em.
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »
I was just thinking that the kids thing could have been a last test by Palpatine...Anakin could have been thinking "I'll serve him until Padme is safe, and then I'll turn against him," so the first thing Palpatine gives him is a task that will make him feel all the more irredeemable.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2005, 09:14:02 AM »
Hmm. Oops. I should've edited my post better. Darn grammar. I wasn't saying he was sorrowful at those moments. I was saying that UP UNTIL when he attacks Padme and Obi-Wan, he's sad but not really angry.

(i.e. Anakin only gets really angry--instead of sorrowful--at the very end when talking to Padme on the lava planet and then dueling Obi-Wan)

ok, yeah, but is it out of sadness that he cuts Master Windu's arm off? and he's looking pretty onery when he marches into the Jedi Temple.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2005, 12:39:29 PM »
The read I got on Anakin's turn to the dark side was that it was a very cold-blooded decision he made in response to his determination (motivated by feelings for Padme and a huge complex over abandoning his mother and then almost but not quite managing to saver her) to save Padme from her envisioned death.

I got the feeling that he had already decided to turn to the darkside the moment he ran to his little jet ship thing to go see Palpatine and Windu.

What the rest of you see as waffling, as he tells Windu that killing Palpatine would not be the Jedi way  and all that, I see as him toying with Windu, sarcastically messing with his mind for the fun of it.  He'd already turned and he knew very well the kinds of things he would be asked to do and had reconciled that with his own quest for power.

The screamed "No!" as he steps off the gurney is not only his sadness at having killed Padme but also his own pain at having his last justification for doing what he has done ripped away.  His own soul is laid bare before him and it hurts.  Hurts enough that three movies later he finally steps back onto the good path.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2005, 12:53:37 PM »
What the rest of you see as waffling, as he tells Windu that killing Palpatine would not be the Jedi way  and all that, I see as him toying with Windu, sarcastically messing with his mind for the fun of it.  He'd already turned and he knew very well the kinds of things he would be asked to do and had reconciled that with his own quest for power.

While that is possible given the words used, there didn't seem to be any indication of this in his tone of voice or expression, so I definitely didn't get this impression at all.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 12:54:08 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!