Author Topic: Harry Potter Casting News  (Read 2881 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Harry Potter Casting News
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:09:41 AM »
Saw this over on Aint It Cool news.  Way too much info for me to type, so I'll just cut and paste.

BBC announced major casting news for the upcoming HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. Luna Lovegood, the dreamy Ravenclaw, will be played by an unknown, Evanna Lynch, who beat out 15,000 girls. You can see a picture of here!

Nymphadora Tonks, the shape-shifting witch, will be played by Natalia Tena.

Professor Umbridge, the incredibly evil Ministry teacher, will be played by Imelda Staunton, as has been rumored before.

Bellatrix Lestrange, one of Voldemort's Death Eaters and for those who read the books, has a much more sinister role, will be played by Helen McCrory.

Finally, the role of Mrs. Figg, Harry's next door neighbor, has been given to Kathryn Hunter. Does that mean the Dursley's are back for Harry Potter 5?

Here's a link to the actual article:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22363

I don't know about you all, but I don't recognize a single name here.  I even went over to IMDB to check them out--drawing a complete blank.  Anyone have an opinion on these?  Know anything about them?

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter Casting News
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 02:23:43 AM »
Mugglenet has a little bio on each of the actresses if you scroll down just a bit. If you scroll down a little further, you can see a photo of the guy they've cast for Magorian (the centaur).

Heh. Of course the Dursleys have to be in the movie. How could anyone possibly consider cutting out "Dudley Demented?"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 02:26:21 AM by Old_One »

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 05:55:34 AM »
Evanna Lynch will have to be nerdied-up a bit to play Luna.

I remember Natalie Tena from "About a Boy" she played a punk-rocker chick with a foul mouth. I can see the part of Tonks working out with her.

Imelda Stauton looks too nice to play Umbridge, but that could work out.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 01:04:17 PM »
I've seen Imelda Staunton in a few things, and she could do a good umbridge. I don't think she looks like her physically, but effects and makeup aren't really a problem in these films.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
I hope these newcomers to the HP cinema world are better cast than the replacement for Dumbledore after Richard Harris died. I really feel that Michael Gambon does a dreadful job as Albus Dumbledore. :(
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »
I haven't seen #4 yet, but I thought Gambon made an awesome Dumbledore in #3.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 05:21:59 PM »
Well, he's not so bad in #3, but he's very "blah" in #4, in my opinion. My bro, who's read all the books about 7 times (and he's 21) thinks the same thing.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »
Reading books makes him an expert on movies?

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 06:49:56 PM »
lol. No. I should've added that he's a severe movie critic/junky to that descrip. He's *very* into films and filmmaking stuff. Almost to the point of a religious pastime.

He used to have a bunch of DVDs that he wouldn't let anyone watch because, somehow, letting anyone else watching them would be sacrilegious. Didn't matter that there might be hundreds or millions of copies out there, either. Also, he hates it when people use clips of movies for whatever reason--in classes or whatever. He feels like this is disrespectful or violating somehow. Yeah, it's a bit, um, worrisome, actually... But he's not as obsessed as he used to be.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 06:52:09 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 03:03:56 PM »
I did not think Richard Harris was a good Dumbledore. Not goofy enough.

Karen likes the new guy because he is more goofy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 03:04:25 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 06:36:51 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with what Ookla said. I also don't think that he acted 'wise' enough, in the books Dumbledore is a mixture of wisdom and crazieness and Richard Harris didn't pull that off well in my oppinion. Micheal Gambon does that perfectly...ish.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 09:44:35 PM »
Well, in my opinion the new one is far too huffy and abrupt w/ Harry. Rather more peevish with everyone than he ought to be, I think. So I guess I have the opposite opinion. Richard Harris gave such subtle warmth and carefree confidence and sillyness to the character. I think the new guy comes off as more curmudgeonly. Huh. Well, acting is not a science--and neither is one's interpretation of it. To each his own, naturally.
--Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 02:49:37 AM »
Rumors about who has been cast for James, Lily, and Grawp are up on Mugglenet.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 02:50:25 AM by Old_One »

Shir Hashirim

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 04:15:37 PM »
I believe they already have James and Lily, yes?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:15:50 PM by ShirHashirim86 »
Knowing the mysterious, the imaginary, seems to me as vital as breathing, for without it, how can we further our society?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:30:55 AM »
lol. No. I should've added that he's a severe movie critic/junky to that descrip. He's *very* into films and filmmaking stuff. Almost to the point of a religious pastime.

He used to have a bunch of DVDs that he wouldn't let anyone watch because, somehow, letting anyone else watching them would be sacrilegious. Didn't matter that there might be hundreds or millions of copies out there, either. Also, he hates it when people use clips of movies for whatever reason--in classes or whatever. He feels like this is disrespectful or violating somehow. Yeah, it's a bit, um, worrisome, actually... But he's not as obsessed as he used to be.

Just so you know, this sort of description makes me LESS likely to respect his opinion on any matters movie related.