Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith  (Read 18494 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2005, 09:50:15 AM »
Great!
Do you think you could expand that just a little -- maybe talk about the direction, for example -- and submit it as an article?

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2005, 01:36:22 PM »
So, if that's a teeny-tiny, will you be sending me a full-blown review?

If you want some guidelines, never having done a movie review before, I'll be happy to send you the ones my regular reviewers work from.  From what you wrote on the board it sounds like you have a good grasp of the concept and interesting things to say so it should be no problem.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2005, 12:22:17 PM »
The direction and stuff like that is what I have no clue about :) And it's kinda hard to give a review without giving things away.
If you wanna send the guidlines, I can give it an actual shot but you may not have it until Wed or Thur. Ironically, I have more free time to do something like that when I'm at work.
In the meantime, there's a good review on AICN which I pretty much agree with. And it's in 3 varieties: objectional, non-spoiler and spoiler.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2005, 06:51:09 AM »
The French applaude EP3 at Cains and it's "anti-bush" message. These are from a AP article.

"That quote is almost a perfect citation of Bush," said Liam Engle, a 23-year-old French-American aspiring filmmaker. "Plus, you've got a politician trying to increase his power to wage a phony war."

Though the plot was written years ago, "the anti-Bush diatribe is clearly there," Engle said.

Lucas said he patterned his story after historical transformations from freedom to fascism, never figuring when he started his prequel trilogy in the late 1990s that current events might parallel his space fantasy.

"As you go through history, I didn't think it was going to get quite this close. So it's just one of those recurring things," Lucas said at a Cannes news conference. "I hope this doesn't come true in our country.

"You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156585,00.html
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2005, 12:19:29 PM »
I find it endlessly amusing to remember that when "Revenge of the Jedi" came out I saw Lucas on one of the late shows explaining how it was a really meaningful political statement for him because the Ewoks were like the VietCong/NVA while the Empire was like the U.S. in VietNam.

I wonder what he'd say about the idea that he should write a sequel to ROTJ where the Ewoks execute several million of their own people for "political" reasons (ergo from people who fought with the U.S. to school teachers to people who wore glasses) like political and genetic purity.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2005, 12:47:35 PM »
Wouldn't that mean that the ewoks would be killing off their entire own race though?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2005, 01:43:02 PM »
No, there's more of them than you think. They're born in litters, after all, so the population grows quickly.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »
Perhaps I should have used a percentage...

And, of course, to be fair he'd have to include the ewok armies traveling to neighboring planets and helping people on those planets murder millions of their fellows for the same reasons, mirroring the NVA's involvment with Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.  

But then, if he really thinks that EPIII is a type of what's happening in our world I wonder what he would point to as a parallel of 9/11 or any outside threat for that matter.  Or maybe he's honestly comparing the Jedi to Saddam Hussein, the Taliban, and Islamic snuff terrorists?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 02:12:51 PM by Skar »

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2005, 02:36:30 PM »
I was just observing that all ewoks are probably genetically unfit, so if they were to be remotely honest in their racial clensing, we'd have no ewoks left.

I don't think the JEDI are being compared to those people. I think the political organization is.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2005, 02:44:55 PM »
Yes, they are fuzzy little freaks aren't they?

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2005, 03:04:28 PM »
the ewoks? or the political organization  ;)

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »
I think the Left-Moonbats are so desperate for an argument that they are now inventing them out of irrelevent sources... Since they must have run out of relevent complaints.  

Absurd, absolutly absurd.  

So, they pretend that there IS no war, that it's a "phoney war"  While German Citizens are murdered in honor killings by their radical islamic family.  
While Dutch film-makers are murdered in the street because they made a film that was disagreed with (imagine if Scorsezi was murdered over Last Temptation)
While 12 year olds have bombs strapped to them and run into crowds

Sorry, but it's just SOOO trendy in Europe to look at all the horror of the present age and lay all the blame on the US and Isriel

George himself SAID that he wrote the script BEFORE the Bush Presidency

I guess I should start calling Babylon 5 an "Anti-Bush" program, despite the fact it went off the air in 98...  After all, People in the entertainment industry are all OBVIOUSLY Clairvoient.  JMS Obviously meant for Pr. Clark to = Pr. Bush.

I mean, who could read that article without saying "DUH"
Alles!!!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2005, 10:50:46 AM »
My reply to this entire silly thing:

What is going on?
Where have all they gone?
How was it done wrong!?
I am no longer,
but life goes
on, still.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2005, 11:04:51 AM »
What went wrong is Natalie Portman has shaved her head.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2005, 11:50:01 AM »
If I still cared about Natalie Portman, I would be sad, but honestly--haven't we already traded up to Kiera Knightly?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net