Author Topic: Beowulf the Talky  (Read 3703 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Beowulf the Talky
« on: January 23, 2005, 12:47:27 AM »
yep, SONY is going to be makeing it, with Zemeckis directing (castaway, forest gump).  Though the most positive sine for the movie is Neal Gaimen co-wrote the script.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Beowulf the Talky
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 02:00:25 AM »
Wow, that sounds interesting. You have a link for info about it?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 02:30:02 AM »

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 02:06:32 PM »
Unfortunately Beowulf has already been done.

No way any film can top 13th warrior.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 02:16:23 PM »
Beowulf has dragons and beasties. 13th Warrior does not. The two aren't really related or am I missing something?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 04:55:53 PM »
your missing something.    ;)
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 07:46:52 PM »
13th Warrior had a strong basis in Beowulf, but the nitty-gritty details are plenty different and I think a movie could be good. Especially with a Gaiman script (and because I thought 13th Warrior had a lot of room for improvement).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 09:54:01 PM »
actually, Beowulf HAS been done before, and not as a reconception of it. It starred Christopher Lambert of Highlander fame

Also, it looks like there will be another one next year, but this one looks foreign

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 12:01:07 AM »
13th Warrior had a strong basis in Beowulf, but the nitty-gritty details are plenty different and I think a movie could be good. Especially with a Gaiman script (and because I thought 13th Warrior had a lot of room for improvement).

Just curious, not looking to get harangued or vehemently disagreed with, I simply want to get your perspective...

In what way did you think 13th Warrior had a lot of room for improvement?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 11:43:31 AM »
Bringing attention back to my question for Fell.

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »
I wonder about that too. I don't think 13th Warrior was the best film ever. It just didn't grab me enough. But I did really enjoy it and I thought it was a great film.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 12:20:35 PM »
I admit that I've only seen it once, and I thought that it did have some cool elements. In general, though, I thought that movie was a little one-note. Maybe I just didn't "get it." I'm not saying it was bad, just that it could have been better--some stronger characters, and a little more variety between them; maybe some women. It seemed to me that most of the characters were the same: strong, honorable warriors who glare meaningfully at things.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 12:26:10 PM »
Everyone should glare meaningfully at things as often as possible. I do it to pictures of Jessica Alba, mostly.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 12:59:30 PM »
Ah.  I see.  You wanted it to have more "romance" elements. ;)

The fact that it didn't have more(any) women warriors in it was one of the high points for me.   I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing the cliche "woman warrior" in films and books, fantasy and otherwise.  I can handle a woman wizard magically duking it out and winning with a man wizard, maybe even a woman winning a stylized fencing duel with a man, but not a sword-swinger.  It just doesn't reflect reality in any way, it's PC but that's all.

And to all you women who object I give the same offer I gave to the women in the literature class where I stated the same opinion: I'm a fairly small example of a male. Fight me.  If you win, I'll concede the point.

-Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 01:30:16 PM »
Even though the averages for men/women strength and size are different, a woman who trains and pushes to be a fighter could do it - because most men do not maximise their strength potential. A woman who puts in the effort to do so could still be better than a lot (not all, or most) male fighters.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch