Author Topic: Howl's Moving Castle  (Read 4985 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Howl's Moving Castle
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 02:48:48 PM »
Okay, the times at Jordans Commons for Fri June 17 are either 7:30 or 10:15. Like I said, I'm okay with a later movie so Oldie Locks can go. But I don't have the final say. A lot depends on what EUOL and Spriggan want to do.

There is a movie at 4:45, if we wanted to go really early. And this is the opening night of the movie here--do you think that will make it crowded? I wouldn't think so for an anime film, but you never know.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2005, 03:01:21 PM »
except me. I always know.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 03:20:38 PM »
I think Mistress of Darkness was considering it, and maybe fuzzy too, but they haven't posted.

MoD lives in California, so she won't be going with you.  :( I won't either, but hopefully I'll see it sometime this weekend. But also, hopefully, the movers will be coming this weekend, and I'd rather have my stuff than go see the movie on opening weekend. Perhaps I'll see it during the week sometime next week.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2005, 06:26:08 PM »

MoD lives in California

That's right--she posted something about that. I forgot.

Yay for Californians! I'm a SoCal girl myself.  ;D

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2005, 09:09:38 PM »
I should be able to make 7:30. I'm dropping the kids off at 6:00, and I'll head up from there. Of course, I'm more than happy to catch a later time if it means that I can hang out for a bit.   ;D

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2005, 03:12:58 AM »
Old One,

I have Morag picking up tickets for me and Chimera.  It probably won't sell out, though.  We're meeting in the lobby at 7:10.  

You may want to Fandango a ticked or something, however, just in case.  (Or you could call the theater and see how it's selling.  If it's selling out, you could buy them over the phone.  Jordan Commons lets you do that.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 03:13:21 AM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2005, 11:55:48 AM »
Der Trailer von Howl: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1094

Rabid fans, start your engines.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2005, 04:24:12 AM »
Saw it. Really liked it, though it did have some problems. Will comment more on it tomorrow when I am more coherent.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »
CAUTION: There are **spoilers** in this post.

Howl's was beautiful visually. However, as has happened with other Miyazaki films, such as Spirited Away, Nausicaa, and Princess Monoke, there were parts that were just bizarre to me. I don't know if that is due to a lack in the story, or due to the cross-cultural jump. Mononke and Spirited were fascinating to me because I learned about Japanese folklore, but that didn't change the fact that there were parts that were a little difficult for me to follow.

In his review Skar wrote:
A big part of understanding characters in a story is seeing what they do. But those actions have to fit in with the story, effect must flow from cause. In Howl's Moving Castle the characters do inexplicable things on a regular basis. And when I say inexplicable I mean it. You're left staring at a big screen in a darkened theatre wondering, "What? Why is she doing that? Why is that happening? What the heck is going on here?" I'm sure there were favorite scenes from the book that had to be included in the movie to avoid rabid fans complaining bitterly about the things that were left out; unfortunately, some of those scenes fit like a pair of shoes fit in the refrigerator. There's no problem with space, but you're left with the troubling sense that you really don't know what's going on. As I said, those of you who read and liked the book will probably be able to unconsciously fill in all those gaps and get a lot of enjoyment out of the movie.

Surprisingly, I believe that having read the book will not stop you from asking "What? Why is she doing that?" There were plenty of moments like that for me--particularly with the Witch of the Waste, who was entirely changed in the movie, and not (in my opinion) for the better. Having read the book only helps give a background, because it is only the basic structure of the world and the characters that Miyazaki uses. Miyazaki changed a lot of the plot to make it his "own" (which, to some extent, I am okay with--I believe adaptation requires a director to do just that), but I feel that a lot of the gaps in logic came from his changes.

Even the ending, which Skar called "deus ex machina." Miyazaki left out an important fact of Sophie's character--that she is a powerful witch in her own right with the power to give life to inanimate objects. She doesn't realize she has this power until the end of the book, and it is this power that makes it so she can re-animate Howl's heart without killing him or Calcifer. Miyazaki's ending, lacking this, was more of like the answer to a riddle. Once Sophie finally understood that Calcifer had Howl's heart, all she had to do was put it back inside him. Which begged the question--why couldn't Howl do it himself? It made more sense in the book, because Howl and Calcifer needed Sophie's magic.

Still, even with some gaps in the logic and a bit of meandering in the plot, I still really enjoyed the film. And it WAS beautiful visually--it makes me miss traditional animation, now that Hollywood is doing only CGI films (and often rather ugly ones at that).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 09:43:12 PM by Chimera »

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2005, 05:25:38 PM »
Someone should change the title post to include **spoilers** now.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2005, 09:42:26 PM »
Oops. Sorry.

I don't have that power. But I'll edit my post so it warns not to read it if you don't want spoilers.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2005, 03:25:47 AM »
CAUTION: There is an inane spoiler in here--it concerns how many earrings Howl wears!  ::)

I remembered something! I was so excited that I remembered that I had to get online and post right away.

For those of you who saw the movie with EUOL and I last night (that would be Spriggan, OldieLocks, Morag, and some others who I can't remember their name on the board), you might remember that I was complaining about Howl having two earrings. I felt it made him look just too girly--probably because in the trailer I assumed the effeminate person with earrings and blond hair was the witch of the west, and I couldn't get over that initial impression.

I did make the comment that if he had worn one earring I would have been okay with it, because I had seen something like that before. Everyone gave me a blank look, and I kind of trailed off, because I *knew* I had read/seen a time period where the men were wearing one earing--a large jewel, to signify wealth. But I couldn't remember, and so had no facts to back me up. I had a mental image, but I couldn't place if it was an image from a movie or a mental image I created from a scene I had read in a book. The image, though, was of a richly dressed man with a large jewel dangling from one ear.

Just a couple of minutes ago I was thinking of it again (when I can't remember something it will nag at me forever) and suddenly it hit me like lightening! It was in Elizabethan England! When I was in London last Spring, I saw several productions of Shakespeare in traditional dress, as well as went to several museums that displayed paintings of male courtier dress in the court of Queen Elizabeth. The men dressed as extravegantly as the women, and it was fashionable to wear one large hanging jewel from an ear. Which is why, I suppose, that I would have had no problem with Howl having one of those dangly earrings--there was precedence in my mind. Two, however, was just too much.

So I'm not crazy. I really did see men in costume wearing one earring, as I maintained. It was in Shakespeare's time. Although that was a much different time period than what Miyazaki was going for in this film.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2005, 04:42:50 AM »
I had a few "what's happening?" moments, myself. Just got back from watching it. But even with those--and remember, I've read a lot of DWJ, but not Howl--I really enjoyed the movie. That makes much more sense, though, that Sophie has her own powers. I kept wondering why her age kept wavering back and forth toward the end. It was pretty funny in parts, too. All in all, I think I'd watch it again.

Now I need to go read the book so I can know how it compares.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2005, 04:47:26 AM »
**spoilers**

The age-wavering was actually Miyazaki, not DWJ. Sophie stays old until the spell is broken in the book. And that was one change that I really enjoyed. I felt it showed character growth for Sophie--particularly that scene in the field of flowers, where she almost breaks free and is young, but then gets scared and reverts to being old. I felt that Miyazaki very effectively used the changing back and forth to show that Sophie was still using a front to protect herself.

I, too, would like to see it again. I can't get the music out of my head, either. Which is alternatively entertaining and maddening.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 05:24:07 AM by Chimera »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2005, 05:22:12 AM »
**spoilers***

Yeah, I got that feeling that it was Sophie's strength that was breaking the spell, but sometimes it felt as if it was the love between her and Howl, so Miyazaki seems to be leaving it open. I gotta read the book.