Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 4782 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Superman Returns
« on: September 24, 2005, 05:31:19 AM »
Thought we had a thread for this movie but according to the search we've only discussed it in other threads.

Anyway I've mentioned before how much the guy playing Superman looks like Christopher Reeve and we've talked about concerns of Kevin Spacey as Luthor, well IGN has a pic of him and he looks enough like Hackman to keep that "it's a sequel to the first two movies" vibe.

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/033/033915/img_3051780.html
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Superman Returns
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 06:20:18 AM »
It's actually Spacey's acting that worries me more. He can be a good actor, but often his acting is just wierd.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 03:28:54 AM »
Who's playing Lois Lane? Or is she not going to be in this movie (I'm not sure where the story is being picked up.)

I have to say that my favorite Superman was the TV show some years back--"Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman." And not because of Dean Cain (though he was good-looking)--but because of the character of Clark Kent. I wanted to hit Lois Lane for being so stupid and not falling head over heels for the nicest, most compassionate guy ever. But I still liked Terri Hatcher in that role--you loved and hated Lois at the same time, which I think you're supposed to.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 06:37:02 PM »
Who's playing Lois Lane? Or is she not going to be in this movie (I'm not sure where the story is being picked up.)

I have to say that my favorite Superman was the TV show some years back--"Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman." And not because of Dean Cain (though he was good-looking)--but because of the character of Clark Kent. I wanted to hit Lois Lane for being so stupid and not falling head over heels for the nicest, most compassionate guy ever. But I still liked Terri Hatcher in that role--you loved and hated Lois at the same time, which I think you're supposed to.

Kate Bosworth is playing Lois Lane. I believe the following set of emoticons expresses me reaction to this:  ??? :-/ :( :'( >:(

Also, girls never fall for nice guys. :P
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 01:24:33 AM »

Also, girls never fall for nice guys. :P

Stupid girls.

I've always wanted a nice guy. I just wonder where they all are hiding. Who cares about Superman--where's my Clark Kent?

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 08:53:36 PM »
Ouch EUOL. Ouch.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:17:24 PM »
Well, if she is saying that EUOL was too much Superman and not enough Clark Kent, I don't know if that is too bad a statement. Wierd, but not necessarily bad.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 11:36:41 PM »
But Superman is a pretty nice guy too. Seeing as how she apparently is still looking for one, I don't think she was saying that either.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 02:41:22 AM »
I'm just putting in a plug for nice guys. Girls who like jerks are stupid and deserve to end up with them.

Well, maybe that is a little harsh. Most guys seem to think that when a girl says "He's a nice guy" she is saying that she is not interested. But see, when I say that, it is the highest compliment. How a guy treats people around him has always been a determining factor for me whether he is quality or not.

That's all I'm saying. I don't need a superhero--just someone real. And Clark Kent in The New Adventures of Superman was like my ideal guy--or at least the true love of my teenage years.  ;D

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 09:30:16 AM »
Well, maybe that is a little harsh. Most guys seem to think that when a girl says "He's a nice guy" she is saying that she is not interested. But see, when I say that, it is the highest compliment. How a guy treats people around him has always been a determining factor for me whether he is quality or not.

See, they think that because it's largely true.

And don't say "nice," because it will be misinterpreted. Say "kind," "caring," or even "considerate." All of which are much more descriptive and don't have the negative connotation.
the word "nice" (at least when describing a man) tends to mean "I don't hate him but I can't think of anything particularly good about him. Also, he's not attractive physically."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 09:56:30 AM »
Ya saying a guy is "Nice" is like saying a girl has a "Sweet Spirit".
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 11:45:20 AM »
Actually I find Superman to be rather big jerk. Now Clark Kent, just as much a jerk, but hey. They aren't actually two seperate people. Jerks.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »
Who cares about Clark Kent, I want a Gilbert Blythe. Who wouldn't want a man who would love you despite years of declaring it would never work?

... On second thought, I think I'd rather have a smart, kind reporter who just happens to be Superman in a secret life. Hometown boy and sophisticated city boy wrapped in one.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 12:09:45 PM »
Actually I find Superman to be rather big jerk. Now Clark Kent, just as much a jerk, but hey. They aren't actually two seperate people. Jerks.

Gemm, I've missed you.

I'd rather have a Supergirl, frankly.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 01:24:53 PM »

www.superdickery.com