Author Topic: What are you reading mark II  (Read 32230 times)

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
Re: What are you reading mark II
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2005, 07:19:54 AM »
I always loved Dill. With his shorts, his tall tales, his hair.

I fell in love first, though with the children calling their father by his first name. And a great name at that.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2005, 09:49:43 AM »
hrm. Maybe you guys are just like that. I, like Ookla, would not characterize most teenage boys I've known I meet as like the things you're describing. Certainly they're frivolous to the point of annoying me, and certainly they have priorities in the wrong place, but they don't seem as perverse as this thread seems to be describing them.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2005, 10:44:12 AM »
Actual quotes from Teenage boys, as best as I can remember them.

"Did you hear Johnno got a chick pregnant? Yeah, she's gonna get an abortion though.
"Yeah, I got a chick pregnant once. Worth it, it's better without a rubber"

"Oh, I had this cake on the weekend, there was hash in the cake and Acid and speed in the icing, oh I was so ****ed up, and I was maggored [Drunk] too! Best party!'

This is what I'm saying.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2005, 11:58:35 AM »
Yes, I think we all get the point that there ARE boys out there like that, but not ALL teenage boys are like that and if you think they are then we pity you for going to such a bad school.  ok?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2005, 08:02:36 PM »
Admittadly, they are the worst examples, but this was actually the best school in the area, and a really good school overall.

THAT'S the concerning part. I'm sure people like that are the best students at certain other schools.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2005, 03:01:04 AM »
So I'm on a Greek mythology kick right now. I enjoyed the first two books in a series by Jane Yolen and some other guy (poor author who isn't as famous, I can't remember his name off-hand). It is "The Young Heroes" series and it takes mythic Greek heroes and projects backwards, using what is written about them as adults to write fictional accounts of them as children. Pretty interesting. If you like Greek mythology at all (I'm a borderline fanatic, myself), than I highly recommend the books. The first is Odysseus in the Serpent Maze and the second is Hippolyta and the Curse of the Amazons. I still need to read three, which is about Atlanta, and four, which features Jason of Argonauts fame.

I took a break to read a book in the same genre by a different author. It is called Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline Cooney. Have any of you YA readers heard of this book at all? Apparently it had some hype when it came out. It is interesting, detailing the story of the Illiad from a fictional teenage girl's POV. Helen of Troy is an absolute witch, and Paris isn't much better. I don't see why Menelaus wasn't glad to get rid of Helen. She certainly isn't worth fighting a war over--her only recommendation is that she is reputed to be the daughter of Zeus. I'm not quite sure that is enough motivation--at least, it works in the epic poem, but I don't know if I am buying it in this fleshed-out version. Right now, I am hoping that Menelaus doesn't take Helen back like he does in the Illiad. He'd be much happier without her.

Anyway, I won't pass anymore judgement on Goddess until I finish it. And I'll let you all know what I think of the other Greek books I picked up.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2005, 03:10:54 AM »
So, I'm currently reading Magestorm, a Warhammer novel.  I'm not very far into it, but it's already better than most Warhammer novels (this is not saying much, sadly).

I'm also reading the WFRP 2nd core rulebook.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2005, 03:25:08 AM »
I'm not much into Greek mythology, so I haven't really paid attention to those. Though you need to read The Thief if you haven't, Chimera--it's set in ancient Greece. A little bit of fantasy, though more historical fiction than anything.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2005, 09:41:14 AM »
well, let's be clear about something. The Trojan war wasn't about Helen. The romances try to say that, but that's entirely inconsistent with what we know about ancient Greek culture.

The Trojan war was fought because a) Menelaus' honor was slighted, and b) because Paris committed the second worst violation of the guest-host relationship possible.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2005, 01:39:25 PM »
well, let's be clear about something. The Trojan war wasn't about Helen. The romances try to say that, but that's entirely inconsistent with what we know about ancient Greek culture.

The Trojan war was fought because a) Menelaus' honor was slighted, and b) because Paris committed the second worst violation of the guest-host relationship possible.

And those were brought up in the book. (I just finished it on Saturday.) It was written in first person from a fictional character's POV (more fictional than the others in the sense that she is never mentioned in the Illiad or Odyssey or Greek Mythology, but created for the purposes of the novel), and she reflects on what a terrible thing it was for Helen to betray her king both by sleeping with Paris but even worse for helping Paris and his men ransack the royal treasury. So Paris, who was under the sacred guest-host relationship, not only stole his host's wife but also all his money and possessions. He was the worst kind of thief. But everyone in Troy just loves Helen. The protagonist Anaxandra can't understand why they do--Helen and Paris have violated so many sacred covenants.

And honor was important to the Greeks. That and the fact that all the suitors of Helen were made to take an oath that they would aide her husband if anyone ever tried to take Helen away from him. They all took the oath before it was decided who would marry Helen, so they did it hoping that they would be the one chosen. Oaths were sacred, too, so Agammemnon and Menelaus could call on every man who took the oath to go fight Troy. (Still, from a modern perspective, it seems like a lot of death and trouble to appease a slight against a man's honor, even if it was a serious slight.)

Goddess of Yesterday was an interesting take on the people behind the Trojan War. I always find folklore retellings fascinating because the best always are a mix between the original and adapting for a modern audience. The biggest difference is the fleshing out of characters to make them more "realistic." That wasn't the purpose of storytelling in the Greek myths or Grimms fairytales. But that is the purpose of storytelling today--what the readers are looking for--so that is what authors do when they explore these archetypal stories that are still with us. And, there were times that it didn't completely work. You are right, e, in saying that the romances make Helen more important than she is. In this book, Helen had to be important because the book was about why the people did what they did--the motivations of the characters that lead to a horrible war. And, as I said before, there were times that I didn't completely buy everyone swooning over Helen and doing whatever she asked just because she was oh-so beautiful. But you kind of had to "suspend your disbelief" and buy into that for the novel to work, so in the end I did. Overall, though, I enjoyed the book. As I said before, if you like Greek mythology and folklore retellings (which will probably be very few if any of you  ;)), then I think you will like it.

However, I think you need a background to enjoy this one--Goddess of Yesterday. You need to have some knowledge of the events leading up to the Trojan War to get what is going on. The nice thing about Jane Yolen's series (which I discussed above) was that they were entertaining in and of themselves. Knowing Greek mythology could give you added insights, but the stories carried themselves. I would read Yolen's books before Goddess.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2005, 11:28:15 PM »
I finally broke down and decided to try some mainstream fantasy, rather than staying only with really cool YA fantasy. So, yes, I am reading Eye of the World. My first Robert Jordan book EVER! I'm only like four chapters in--it's not remarkable, it's not bad, and I'm not ready to put it down yet. I'm trying to not have too many preconceived notions from what I've heard people say.

Oh, and just before that I finished Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier, a re-telling of the folktale where a girl's older brothers get turned into swans by their evil sorceress stepmother and only the girl can break the enchantment by taking a vow of silence and weaving shirts of a stinging nettle. It was very good! The characters were very well-done. And it was an interesting mix of Irish Druid/British Christian history mixed with magic.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2005, 10:00:10 AM »
I'm sorry that Jordan was your intro.

anyway, on Stacer's advice, I am reading Tithe and listening to A Great and Terrible Beauty on audio CD. They both have some flaws, but I think I'm enjoying the latter much more.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2005, 10:58:32 AM »
Well, Jordan teaches readers how to stop reading a book without finishing it...eventually.

I also realize I need to read more books. I'm wanting to start a little library/book-exchange in my apartment. Thinking of just have a bookshelf in the front room that has one shelf for book I've borrowed and another for people to return books they've borrowed from me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 11:00:57 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2005, 12:42:57 PM »
e, I forgot to warn you about the language in Tithe. It serves a purpose, though, as you'll see toward the end. I'll talk with you more about it as you finish.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2005, 03:05:36 PM »
actually, imo, some of the images, particularly from the diarty, in Great and Terrible Beauty are more disturbing than the language in Tithe. Not that either really bothers me though.

Before I say the following, note that I'm going to finish both these books, and I think they're pretty good, but they both have major problems. In DaTB, for example, the main character is very unlikeable. She vacillates between feeling bad for herself (while hating everyone else) and doing things to MAKE other people not like her. I can count about one act that helped others wihtout being mostly self interested so far (more than halfway through). does she ever do anything else to make me like her?