Author Topic: Giving away books!  (Read 4467 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Giving away books!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 07:30:29 AM »
I really don't care if others think it's great, if its free on the net and hasn't been in print for quite some time, or a short story, I will never read it.  Period.  And the book industry is really behind the times on letting people do that, I can download that book onto my phone I don't need to by a physical copy to take it where I want, same with people who have a PSP. Heck even an iPod can display text files.  True there are people that like books, I tend to be one, but this guy's target audience, and yours, are people that have access to this technology and would rather get a free book then pay for one.  And you're wondering why his books aren't selling as well as the first one?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 07:31:39 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 09:39:08 AM »
I'm not sure that post made sense.

What I still don't get is why you think "free" means "Sucks"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 09:46:12 AM »
first off there are two different arguments, things have been a tad hectic here so I didn't explain that too well in the above posts.

1) my personal opinion that free internet books=sucks thats how I feel deal with it.

2) It's bad business, and crazy, for a publisher to pay to publish a book and then let the author give away free copies at the same time.  Especially when his target group would never have much of a reason to by the book then.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 10:04:51 AM »
Well, umm, no. Paper is MUCH easier to read, and properly bound paper is much easier than printed out stuff, even bound.

Case in point: I have The Hacker Crackdown on my computer, read one chapter and I'm waiting until I find a book copy because it's easier and nicer to read.

It's like how pirating music makes people buy more music. You find something cool for free, and then decide to buy the album.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 10:19:39 AM »
yeah, point 2 doesn't bear out given actually history. Internet downloads have been shown to have no negative impact on sales of physical goods. All it can do then, is act as publicity. Why is that "bad business" or "crazy?"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2005, 10:25:37 AM »
yeah, point 2 doesn't bear out given actually history. Internet downloads have been shown to have no negative impact on sales of physical goods. All it can do then, is act as publicity. Why is that "bad business" or "crazy?"

We're talking about free downloads not things like iTunes and there's no evidence to support that claim while there's plenty of evidence to support the exact opposite, why do you think the record and movie industries are loosing millions a year from illegal downloads?  RPG companies are also loosing a lot of money from illegal downloads so there are examples of books for you, and yes I know this isn't illegal but it's the closest thing.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 10:47:13 AM »
they're not losing millions of dollars to that. They're losing money because they charge too much, aren't marketing correctly, and refuse to embrace the available options.  Likewise the RPG industry. Yeah, there's pirating there, but I think that 90% or more of the companies publishing RPG books are doing so because they're interested in the game and few have practical business education or experience says a lot more about how they're losing money. Books have a much lower profit margin than many other products. Especially books that necesarily have smaller print runs and have nice paper and full color. It's easy to lose money in that business. RPG books are a much different industry than novel sales.

The music industry was hitting it's slump long before pirating music became popular.

Every study I've seen has confirmed that people who download heavily (even illegally) are much more likely to buy more music than those who do not. Where is the loss in this? Show me a study that contradicts this, and I don't mean Lars from Metallica saying in court that he's lost money. I mean someone with a brain who has looked at numbers beyond the fact that "we lost money this year" and "people are downloading this year."

I'll also refer you back to your brother's post. "Research has shown that a web presence of a novel doesn't really impact paper sales." I don't know where he got that research, but I figure of anyone here, he's the most likely to have seen that.

I think the guys running Tor probably have a MUCH better sense of what's good business or not than you do. Simply because they're in the industry and look at that information daily, and they've studied it, not just casually read a few articles. They disagree with your opinion. I think I'll trust them before I believe your opinion on that specific matter.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 01:04:03 PM »
Isn't it recorded that during napsters run, sales of music went up? And when it was shut down sales dropped off? Though it has been noted that this was at the tail end of the Record -> CD conversion craze, and I suspect that the publicity fallout of the court case might have done something.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 03:12:28 PM »
Copies of episode 3 were floating around the net pre-release, and it broke records first day.

In addition, in Britain, they are actually purposefully leaking certain major TV serials on the net because British studies have shown that this increases initial viewership.

And Tatu was (perhaps still is?) the best-selling group in all of Russia, and every single one of their mp3s was available for download (for free) off of their website.

Every study I've seen done on this matter either states that putting something online for free either does not affect, or increases sales.

There are a great many factors which may be affecting the RIAA's slump in sales (however, this slump has NOT affected new releases - one of the hottest categories of music traded online), including the rise in Indie music popularity, the economic recession we've had, price hikes by record companies, individuals specifically boycotting the RIAA, etc.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 03:14:30 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 04:18:31 PM »
Australia and UK had record-breaking music sales...
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20040329-3585.html
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 05:21:30 PM »
Let me put forth this argument on Sprig's side, however.

Yes, electronic publishing doesn't seem to adversely affect paper sales.  However, that MIGHT just be because we don't currently have an electronic reader that is as convenient as a paper form.  Sprig, have you ever tried to read an entire book on a PDA?  I have, and I eventually went and bought a copy--and it was a free book in the public domain!  It's just too difficult right now.

If electronic paper does become big, I could see this being dangerous to the business.

However, there's the webcomic phenomenon to look at.  They release their content for free, then expect people to support them anyway.  How many people buy paper copies of webcomic books?  It's a big industry--and those comics are all for free.  Does that mean that because they're webcomics, Sprig, they're worse than paper comics?  Just because free=crap?

Oh, and the research I quoted came--unfortunately--from one of the panels I attended at worldcon.  So, I don't have anything solid to quote.  There is, however, this argument:

http://www.baen.com/library/

(P.S.  You--Sprig--claim that by releasing his books for free, his later titles have become less popular.  Why, then, does his first continue to sell so well?  I argue that it isn't the 'free' nature that is making his later books sell poorly.  It's the fact that he considers himself a 'literary' sf author, and is therefore writing works that are increasingly esoteric and difficult to read.  People simply don't like the second two books as much.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2005, 08:35:10 PM »
I never said free=crap I said free books=crap, there's a difference, one I don't have to explain since it's my opinion.

Yes, electronic publishing doesn't seem to adversely affect paper sales.  However, that MIGHT just be because we don't currently have an electronic reader that is as convenient as a paper form.  Sprig, have you ever tried to read an entire book on a PDA?  I have, and I eventually went and bought a copy--and it was a free book in the public domain!  It's just too difficult right

They already have "paper" that displays what ever a PDA or PC sends it, it's called digital paper and will probably be available in stores within 5-7 years.  You can already buy it in Europe from what I understand but it's expensive.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2005, 09:18:52 PM »
Yes, but keep in mind that authors are trying to make money now, not in 5 or 7 years.

By giving away free books and getting his name out there, Doctorow will have his reading audience established. So when everything tanks in 5 or 7 years, he can just switch to selling his books.

Yes, in the long -term it may not make sense to give out free electronic copies (depending on advancements and acceptance of technology), but for right now it is working.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2005, 10:02:24 PM »
http://news.com.com/i/ne/p/photo/electroniccard_500x355.jpg

Eletronic Paper coming out next year in Japan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2005, 10:15:40 PM »
and we think that will be fun to read? that horrible blue looks awful.