Author Topic: No one steps on a church in MY town!!!  (Read 8565 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: No one steps on a church in MY town!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 01:31:31 PM »
Well, some of it has to do with fear of reporting rape... in Ireland for example up untill the 1970's a raped girl could be put in a school for troubled girls just for reporting it, because she somehow asked for it. The bulk of rapes are commited by people who know the victim in some way. Not to take away from that troubling statistic.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 02:04:50 PM »
Over-reporting may be a problem; not to somehow dismiss genuine cases, but there has been a lot of very dodgy cases. Ones where it was not actually rape. For an example, look at the snooker player; he slept with a woman, who was about as willing as you can get without paying the guy. She then claimed it was rape and took him to court. It was thrown out, but the guys reputation (and his money for the legal team) was put through the shredder, while she got off scott free.

It is a real problem... how do you prevent cases like that above without preventing people from reporting the real cases?

Oh, and japan has apparently a far higher case than is apparent - i have heard that the number of rapes are 10 times as high as the official numbers.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »
Even so, the official numbers for Japan are about 1.7 per 100,000.  Multiply that by ten and you've only got a third of america's total.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 11:35:20 PM »
What is it about america that puts us nearly twice the amount as the nearest contender?

Ego. Pure and simple.

(ok, that's simplistic, but I don't think it's far off either)