Author Topic: Internet Explorer sucks  (Read 6504 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Internet Explorer sucks
« on: August 26, 2003, 12:55:57 PM »
It crashed three times while I was trying to post this morning. Does anyone know what is wrong with it besides the obvious malady of being a Microsoft product?

I am running on win98, so I don't think I have that worm, it's not supposed to work on this version of windows.

Does anyone know what is going on?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer sucks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 01:02:04 PM »
Windows hates you.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 01:19:29 PM »
Well duh.

I meant besides that.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 05:10:19 PM »
I would have to ask a lot of questions about what else you were running, any updates done recently, reboots, etc.
It could just be a matter of too much memory being used because it wasn't being cleared out properly. A reboot would fix that.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 08:00:11 PM »
Well, I did reboot. But this has been happening at least once a day for the past week. It might be too many programs running, but it hasn't acted like this before and something makes me think the computer is constantly running something in the background.

How do you check that in 98?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 08:07:15 PM by Treyva »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 08:40:11 PM »
oh, now I have to remember how to do the selective start up.

Every process and dll that your computer uses as it boots, every driver and program, can be found in a list. I just can't remember the command to see it. I shall meditate and let you know when I have it.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 09:08:13 AM »
msconfig! msconfig! Its the most important run command of Windows since cmd!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 11:59:45 AM »
Okay, but what does it do?

Sorry, but I'm an English major.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 12:38:13 PM »
yeah, well, I haven't had to mess with it for three years at least now.

I'll give detailed instructions at lunch, MoD, it'll at LEAST let you know what's running, and it may narrow down what the issue is.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 04:42:41 PM »
In Msconfig there should be a tab labeled "Startup." Go there and uncheck everything thats checked except Explorer and Systray. Then maybe your system will go a bit faster.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 05:13:34 PM »
That's going a bit too far, Gemm. People have things in their startup group because they want them starting up. Removing all those checks for stability makes the OS less useful. Basically, you want to use those tabs to figure out what specifically is causing the problem, so that you can eliminate the problem and still use all the other things you want.

Now, EVERYTHING in ALL tabs of that little app are accessed and loaded when Windows starts up. It might not be in the Startup group. It may be in one of the others.

so, here's what you do if you want to narrow it down. It's a long process and there is a LOT of restarting, so you'll have to be patient.

Click Start, choose RUN, and type MSCONFIG and then hit ENTER.
In the main tab of the dialog box, uncheck two of the options (I believe it's 5 options in win98, but I don't remember), click ok, and restart. Then run the computer, if the problem doesn't manifest, it's one of the tabs you unchecked. If you still have the problem, it's one of the ones you have checked.

Either way, try doing it with just ONE of the boxes checked. Basically, you WANT the problem to manifest, because that tells you that the box you have checked is the one with the problem. If the problem was still there, the box you want checked will be one of the ones you left checked before. If the problem is gone, then the problem was one of the ones you had UNchecked. Try this till you know which box it is. You'll have to restart every time you change where your checks are.

Once you know WHICH of those boxes is the problem area, then go to the appropriate tab, and uncheck half the items you see listed. Restart

Again, if you still have a problem, it's something you have checked. If you don't, than it's something you unchecked. Uncheck everything but HALF of the group that you know has the problem. Keep halving it until you find the one item that causes the problem. That's your culprit. You should then be able to recheck everything in all tabs of the dialog except the one item causing your problem. Voila! You have all the usefulness you want, but no problem

Now, you'll probably see the names of LOTS of stuff in there that you have no clue what it is. Basically, if you don't know what it is, DON'T DELETE IT. You may not need it on startup, but you'll probably find it belongs to something you wanted to use.
otoh, if you see something that you can identify, and you know you didn't want it (you'll probably see several of these as well) then go ahead and uninstall/delete the stupid thing. It's just taking up resources that you don't want it to use.

Make sense?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 04:48:22 PM »
You make sense. Unfortunately, my computer doesn't. Nothing but the start up items are checked to start up.

/me shrugs

It's probably just Access XP then. My computer can't handle it.

blah

Brian

• Level 10
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2003, 11:04:11 PM »
If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to attempt to answer them. Besides working alongside Eric at WinMe support, the required core classes for my degree include A+ cert prep classes, so these days I'm nose-deep in Windows troubleshooting.

Edit: Note that you'd have to email me, since I rarely stop by these boards... I'm just bored (and Truth Be Told, a tad lonely) tonight.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 11:05:18 PM by Brian »