Author Topic: stick shift  (Read 6126 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
stick shift
« on: October 31, 2003, 10:12:51 AM »
Ok, I know I'm no good on the stick shift. I first learned how to do it some seven years ago and then never did again.

Until now, when we jsut got a (really cheap) standard transmission car for me to take to work (so my wife would have the van available for the kids).

Anyway, I spent yesterday morning practicing, trying to focus on going from a complete stop into first gear, especially uphill, which is the only thing I feel I have real difficulty with. So then I take my daughter to her friend's house. This is the 2.5 year old.
And of course the car jumps a little and I have trouble getting it moving.

And my 2 year old LAUGHS AT ME!

I think she's trying to make an enemy. She's the one who told me she doesn't like Star Wars.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: stick shift
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 12:01:56 PM »
/me lol, and scares her co-workers

No, I think she's turning into you. That's exactly something you would do.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 01:18:11 PM »
and how many of me do you think I can stand having around?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 01:25:02 PM »
I don't know. She's a female version of you, that's different.

Wait, that might make her worse. . . .
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 01:26:48 PM »
SE, it's called retribution to you parents for having raised you.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 03:34:33 PM »
Just make her drive next time.  Get is going up around 40 and she won't laugh at you anymore.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 05:07:56 PM »
Kije.... she's TWO
I want to keep my car, my life, and my daughter, you know. Not necessarily in that order.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 07:46:13 PM »
I'm sure the same thing will happen to me someday, Eric.  Both J.T. and I learned to drive stick, then promptly forgot.  

Most of my practice in driving a stick was
1.) a cross-country drive from Ohio to Washington when I was 16.  (And driving on a straight highway at 70 mph isn't hard)

2.) Driving my mom to and from the hospital a few times a year later.  And I pissed off so many drivers by stalling at half the lights.    :-[

Oh well.  You'll get better with practice, Eric.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 07:47:38 PM »
Well preferably you'd stop before you collide with something.  Unless it's Britney Spears.  Then you can mow her down.  

That might not work if your wife is against that whole violence thing, though.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 08:15:54 PM »
I already think stick shifts are evil.  I *Finally* got my license a year ago September, but haven't driven since, because I learned on an automatic, and I haven't had the time to learn how to drive my standard car.  Well, that's not completely true. I can go from 1st gear to 2nd, I just haven't been on a road yet so I can learn to go to higher gears and then downshift without leaving the transmission two blocks back.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 09:54:40 PM »
I'm currently learning to drive. (Late, I know) I did a few lessons in a manual transmission, and although I couldn't do it, I preferred the greater level of control. Then I gave up and learnt in my families car, which is automatic. It's a lot easier, but I get annoyed at the lessened control.  After a couple of years, I can legally drive a manual anyway, so I might just get my license in automatic.

Bunny-Hopping once is nothing to be ashamed of. it's when you bunny hop a fifty metre stretch you should be worried.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 09:59:45 PM »
I have this to say about laughing children. They are all laughing at me. Why me? Because, everyone is looking at me. Stop it! Cut it out! I'm just walking for the love of God. Why must you ridicule me at every step?! What have I done to you? You I don't even know. No! Don't do that! Augh! No! Never! I couldn't! Stop!

And so, thats why they laugh at me, because of my thoughts. They can all see my thoughts... how, I don't care, they CAN!. Cut the film.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 10:45:58 PM »
I don't believe it for a second Gemm. If they were capable of reading thoughts, I'm sure there would be much more interesting ones than yours. (maybe not entertaining, but interesting sure).

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 02:43:37 AM »
Funny, how stickshifts seem to be giving everyone on the board so much trouble. I grew up watching my dad drive stick. Got to help him shift as we drove. I learned the feel for it before I even sat behind the wheel. It took me a little while to get the hang of it, and it was pretty hard at first, I grant you.

Maybe you all just need to make friends with a farmer. My dad isn't the most patient of men. ALL the cars (actually, all trucks) in my family were stickshifts, so I had to learn when I learned to drive. I kept killing the new truck, so we went to the old Chevy Custom Deluxe duelly with huge side mirrors for hauling trailers and straight pipes for mufflers. Killed that too often too and nearly gave Dad a heart attack going into town to the bank when I took a corner too sharp and popped the clutch too many times. Like I said, not the most patient of men, and he wouldn't even let me drive home that day.

So that night I complained to my boyfriend, how my dad was never going to let me drive again, and he (the boyfriend) took me out on his dad's tractor, and we went around their barn in circles, again and again, till I didn't kill it anymore (it's VERY hard to kill a tractor even if you pop the clutch).

And I've been driving stick quite well ever since. Dad even lets me drive the tractor from time to time--not that he had the patience to take me around and around like Tim did.

So there you have it. Go out into the country and make friends with some farmer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 02:45:21 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2003, 06:58:12 AM »
Gonna go into the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.
Gonna go into the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo