Author Topic: Nightmares and stuff  (Read 13421 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Nightmares and stuff
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 09:42:43 PM »
I had a dream not just where I was back on my mission, but that I committed to a 2 year mission, back through the MTC and everything, and I was still married with children. That was freaky.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 10:31:07 PM »
I had a dream not too long ago that I was back in high school again, living at my parents' house, and that I was back in my old room watching out the window for the bus to come. The bus came out of the road down the highway, like it always did when I was in school, and I yelled for my siblings, and they all ran down to the bus, but for some reason I just wasn't fast enough and missed the bus. I ran all over the farm trying to figure out how I was going to get to school, trying to get my dad to let me take the truck, etc. I was going to be late! It was far worse feeling in the dream than I ever felt about missing or being late for school back when I was actually in school!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 10:43:12 PM »
I had a dream/nightmare once where I went through an entire interior design course. I got a D, even after complaining to the dean that the teacher was grading unfairly and since her degree was really in ceramics, she wasn't qualified to teach the class to begin with. I also learned a bunch of vocabulary that took me three days to forget after I woke up.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 10:47:52 PM »
wow. 42, that dream just defines YOU for me.

and Stacer, i'd wax psychological, but i have at least 1500 words to write.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2003, 07:48:27 AM »
MMMmmm that was fun. No dream for me.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2003, 01:35:10 PM »
I find that I get a better night's sleep when I don't remember my dreams, but some of my friends feel just the opposite. When I do remember them, they are seldom enjoyable (I only remember one nice one) and are usually manifestations of my anxiety.

As for serial murders chasing you in your dreams, I will pass on some advice I heard Morag once give. Take a machine gun into your dream, and no ax murder is going to give you much trouble. The theory is that if you think about something repeatedly just before you fall asleep, it will be engrained on your subconcious and will mostly like show up in your dreams. It might help you 42, if there is a calming activity or food (milk?) or music (Enya?) that you could do, eat, listen to before you crash, that might help.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 01:36:44 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2003, 04:18:48 PM »
That's a good idea MoD. I've been trying to ritualize a lot aspects in my life so that they are more relaxing. However, despite my religious upbringing, I have a hard time thinking of relaxing rituals rather than pratical busy stuff.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2003, 07:01:57 AM »
I agree with MoD.  I usually dream about all the random things I'm thinking about right before I go to sleep.  For instance:

Lately I've been having a lot of dreams about being at home and telling everyone about Japan.  A few nights ago, during one of these dreams, I realized that I hadn't bought Ben's katanas or Dad's Christmas present, and I was worried cause I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to Japan.  But then I realized that I hadn't bought Ben's katanas cause November hadn't happened yet, and I realized that I was just having another dream about being home.  So, instead of waking up like a normal person, I went back in time (in my dream) to before I met my family and starting dreaming about something completely unrelated.  I remember being really confused when I woke up.

Does anyone else have dreams where you KNOW you're dreaming, but still keep dreaming?  I seem to have them a lot.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2003, 08:56:09 AM »
... I... I ... That's WEIRD Tek....

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2003, 02:25:40 PM »
That's happened to me, too. It's usually that I know I'm dreaming and am trying to wake myself up but my body won't let me, like I'm slogging through mud or something. You know how your movements turn off when you sleep? I know I'm trying to move my body (to wake myself up) but I can't move.

Maybe all this talk of dreaming has gotten me noticing my dreams again, but last night I fell asleep with the laptop on my lap, sitting up in bed, and kept dreaming over and over that I'd put the laptop away, only to wake up briefly and find that it was still on my lap. Talk about an uncomfortable position to sleep in. And if I hadn't woken up enough to actually put it away at about 3 am, I'd be feeling even worse today than I do.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2003, 02:30:24 PM »
No you're wierd SE.

I actually have a lot of dreams where I know I'm dreaming. For example, my most common one is when I'm an dreaming about my anticipated day. Everything goes how I expect it to go, except I have a hard time opening my eyes, so I'm like walking around squinting at everything. I really hate this dream but I've had it so many times that I'm used to it by now. I also hate that the day after this dream I get a lot of dejavue.

I also remember having a dream where everyone I knew was being turned into vampires and eventuall all of happy vallley Utah got changed into a community of vampires. It was kind of odd, but I knew it was just a dream so I went along for the ride.

I'm surprised about how little some of the board members dream. Dreaming is supposed to keep you sane and happy.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2003, 04:03:54 PM »
Tekiel:  Hey, haven't heard from you in a while.   Tage is getting katanas?  Man, that's no fair.

I am self-aware in dreams sometimes, but I think it comes from falling in and out of dream-state.  In other words, I'm half-awake, and realize I've been dreaming, then fall back mostly asleep and forget that it's a dream, then come back out and remind myself.

According to one of my teachers who is interested in this stuff, a very common college student dream is the one where you realize halfway through the semester that you've registered for a class that you've forgotten to go to.  You go into a panic trying to figure out how to get a good grade in the class, even though you haven't been going.  

Anyone had that one?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2003, 06:09:57 PM »
According to one of my teachers who is interested in this stuff, a very common college student dream is the one where you realize halfway through the semester that you've registered for a class that you've forgotten to go to.  You go into a panic trying to figure out how to get a good grade in the class, even though you haven't been going.

No, but it really happened to me.

and I never said I wasn't weird, but it would be futile to argue that anyone here ISN'T weird, even if the weirdness is common to our sample.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2003, 06:42:08 PM »
I had a dream once where I was shot (by a sprinkler burglary ring, believe it or not) and died. And instead of waking up, I was just there, unconscious, in my dream. That was pretty weird.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2003, 07:36:46 PM »
I don't dream of being in a course that I forgot to go to for half a semester. I complete the entire course and then realize that I've actually never taken the course.

I did dream once I was in a design class where one of the other students killed me because I was getting a better grade than her. I still finished the class, just as a ghost. Since I was a ghost, I didn't get credit for the class.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 07:39:09 PM by 42 »