Author Topic: High heels, interviews, and other sundry rants  (Read 6952 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
High heels, interviews, and other sundry rants
« on: November 18, 2003, 12:50:00 PM »
So I had an interview at Barefoot Books this morning. If you're not familiar with the company, they're a small press that focuses on picture books for young children. About 2 months ago, I sent them my resume for an associate editor position, but was told I didn't have enough relevant experience. Last week, I got asked to come in and interview for the U.S. editor position, a senior position that would be in charge of the entire U.S. line.  :o I thought at first that they must have confused me with someone else, but in doing a little research, they're currently restaffing, and it looks like they're wanting to hire young, relatively inexperienced people so they don't have other business models already stuck in their heads, since Barefoot is trying out some new marketing methods.

So--until talking to a couple friends recently, I was just figuring I'd go in, meet some people, have a nice morning and never hear from them again. But my friends encouraged me that I should go in with confidence that they really did want to talk to me, and so I prepared more for this interview than I do for most. Not only did I do the manuscript evaluation the publisher requested of me, I also went over in my head the way I should answer some questions I knew were bound to come up, not least of which is why someone in the middle of a master's program would be interviewing for a highly demanding full-time position.

Well, I think I answered that one okay--as well as can be expected, for there's no really good professional answer. I just feel that I can get as much experience working in the field as I can from my program, and plus I'd rather be making money than spending it. How do you say this nicely in an interview? I still haven't found a good way.

But the one that got me was this: she asked me how many hours I've been working at Houghton Mifflin, and I told her full time, and she said, "Wow, that must give you absolutely no time for homework." Well, my professional, prepared answer was this: it's helped me to prioritize, it's helped me to know that I can get through the tough times, etc. This is what I said, however, because my mind went blank: yeah, it's hard sometimes, but it's all right. My teachers have been very understanding, and I just need to survive the semester--or something like that.

Augh! That's an honest answer, sure, but not a very good one. Basically, I said that I'm a loser who's not doing well in school (which isn't true--I have a 4.0--and she asked me my undergrad gpa, but not my grad, and my grad one is better, and I should have offered it! augh!) and that I have to work because of money problems (true, but not to the point).

I can only hope that she was impressed by my knowledge of picture books and my experience in publishing.

And THEN! Here's my other rant.

a. They should not make 3-inch heels.

b. Even though they make 3-inch heels, I need to throw mine out, to avoid temptation. The problem is that these shoes are so uncomfortable to wear that I've had them 2 years and they still look brand-new. So, when I have something important--like, say, a job interview--those are the ones I choose to wear, despite what I know will be excruciating pain, because I haven't been able to find a new pair of nice black shoes that go with any of my professional outfits. So all I have are two pairs of dress shoes with scuffed toes and broken soles, and this pair of 3-inch heels. They're nice and big, chunky loafer-looking shoes, so they look good with professional outfits, but man, is it painful.

And did I mention I live in Boston? Yeah. I walk 6 blocks to the bus stop, transfer to the T at Harvard Square, and walk another 4 blocks to the office where the interview is. Just sitting with these shoes on is painful. Why do we allow this!??!

Well, I'll let you all know if it actually went better than I thought. Lately when the interview goes well, nothing comes of it, so maybe the opposite is true.

Oh--and one last thing. I come home, change my clothes, and I'm sitting here in an old t-shirt that I just realized I put on backwards. This isn't my day.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: High heels, interviews, and other sundry rants
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 01:11:25 PM »
Then throw out the shoes. Seriously. Give them away or something, then you'll have to go buy a different pair of nice shoes, and maybe this time you'll have the sense to get something comfortable.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 01:17:25 PM »
I know I should, but it seems so wasteful.... Plus, shopping for shoes is really hard for me for some reason. When I try them on in the store and walk around in them, they seem quite good. Then I take them home, and the very next day I find out that once again I was wrong. I'm not really sure what it is about me and shoes. I only have one comfortable pair, my running shoes.

At any rate, they only added to what was already a worrisome day. Now I need to let it go and concentrate on other things. Like the 5-page paper due tomorrow that I haven't started the research for yet.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 01:19:18 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 01:52:46 PM »
Thank heavens for Doc Marten's.

Anyway, Tage, be sure you don't show any sympathy whatsoever next time. it makes you look weak.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 02:37:04 PM »
Crap, was there sympathy in my last post? I was SURE I'd managed to remove all traces of such an emotion, but obviously I still need more work.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 05:50:26 PM »
/me pat, pats Tage

I hear you stacer. I went through it myself a lot at BYU. I didn't have any nice casual shoes, just heels, loafers and tennis shoes. Wore right through the soles of my loafers in about 6 mos (and I still didn't wear them *that* often).

So, here's what I've discovered on heels.

1) Heels are a wonderful thing. They make you look professional and they do good things for your calves.

2) Heels never have been, and never will be, marketed as walking shoes. Don't plan on walking for any longer than five consecutive minutes in them. If you are walking up to campus, bring your shoes in your backpack and change.

3) Price is everything. Yeah, you can buy a pair of heels for $15. And the heels will probably prove their cost-effectiveness by being incredibly uncomfortable. I personally prefer the more expensive, true leather (forms around the foot better than vinyl) shoes. I always get them at an outlet store, and for less than the price of Docs. It's a long term investment that could easily last 10 years, especially when you don't use them very often.

As for shoe shopping, I had the same problem. The thing I learned was to look at how they looked on my feet less than I walked around the store. If you concentrate on settling into your shoes as you walk around the store, and refuse to be wowed by the enjoyment of buying new shoes, then it's pretty easy to catch the early signs.

If the shoes aren't comfortable take them back, most shoe stores have a 30 day policy. Take them up on it.

For work, get some flip-flops and a purse big enough to stuff them in. I know that's not ideal in the winter, but if you can stand the cold, it's worth saving the wear and tear on your shoes (and feet). Formal and nice casual shoes just weren't meant to be walked in, at least not for long periods of time. Hence why missionaries either go through 3 pairs of shoes, or one pair of Docs.

Etienne Aigner is my favorite for heels, and Clarks for nice casuals. Clarks is the only brand of shoe that hasn't given me blisters on my heels as I broke them in. Both of them are pretty expensive, so I only go to outlets. This is why my Clarks are 4 years old and I still wear them, despite the fact that the buckle has fallen off one and they are very sad looking.

Here's wishing you were closer and I could take you shoe shopping ;)

And in response to all of the male retching going on, shoe shopping is a perfectly legit time wasting enterprise.

----------------

Okay, and on the job interview. Personally, I would feel very leery about that company. Sounds like they are pretty unstable, if they are ditching a large portion of their staff in favor of a new strategy, rather than find a strategy that works. If you get the chance, ask her some questions about where the company is and where it is going. What its plans are. Of course, if it's only a temp job to you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I think you should answer the time question: "I like to be challenged. Being involved in a variety of things helps me to be more productive and get better grades than I would if I had more spare time." Just leave out the stuff about money. That point is pretty much a given.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 06:10:22 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 06:08:44 PM »
I've got your title, MoD: Head of Shoes at TWG.  You can review all the new fashions that come out, and put out an article every once in a while.  

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 06:11:26 PM »
Not unless there are free shoes involved.

And what I really mean is Nordstrom gift certificates.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 06:21:32 PM »
Ok, the thing is: why do you voluntarily pay for and wear something that you KNOW is so uncomfortable you can't even keep them on for very long?

"It makes you look good." right ok, so do a dozen other things that are less painful, and require less logistical planning.

this querying is not a "guy thing" thing either. I can't understand Tuxes, ties, etc either for the same reason. Comfort has a much higher appeal to me than preening.

And most of all, if you're going to do the thing you know is going to cause pain, then don't expect sympathy when you get some pain or discomfort.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 07:24:30 PM »
I wish I had more occasion to wear high heels.  It makes my husband feel awfully short when I do, though.

Congrats on being what the market wants, stacer!

Oh, and Eric- looking good and thinking you look good is the important part.  That's the only reason to wear uncomfortable shoes.  I have a pair of knee-high black leather boots that look hot, but kill my feet if I wear them for more than an hour or so.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 07:25:45 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 07:38:39 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm black leather boots mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2003, 07:39:24 PM »
You know its almost a board record to have 3 women posting at a time.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2003, 07:56:07 PM »
so you're saying esteem is clothes based.... interesting.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 08:02:39 PM »
You know its almost a world record to actually have 3 women posting on an internet message board at all.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 08:13:18 PM »
Unless said board has the word "Everquest" in its title.

Or, i suppose, "ass-numbingly boring" as an unmentioned rule for things to be discussed :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch