Author Topic: ignorance  (Read 3353 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
ignorance
« on: January 02, 2004, 05:28:14 PM »
Look, what Gabe and Tycho over at PA was pretty cool. Sometimes I think it's over-rated (considering that most of the attention comes from other gamers, who have something to prove it's not unexpected, but then, there was also a counter reputation that even most gamers don't entirely disbelieve, so we forgive the over-rating), but 6 digits worth of donation to sick kids is no small feat for any organization. And yeah, it was a pretty cool thing to do. What else can I say? It doesn't make them Ma Theresa, but it sure does show a lot of kindness that you don't see that often.

However, i'm pretty pissed, along with Gabe and Tycho, that their donation has been mis-ascribed. It would have been better to be anonymous, rather than ascribed elsewhere. That was completely irresponsible.

Then there's the NYP article referenced in today's rant. I concur, while I think the GTA does lack taste and isn't defensible, really (we've ranted, let's not go into it now), it's hardly on the level of raping little kids, and saying that producing the thing was 10000 times worse (I guess that's the rape of 10k small boys) is sick in the head. People who make accusations like that are going to hell, and the damage they cause to the social psyche IS worse than anything the GTA line of games can. Grr...