Author Topic: Alloy of Law (Chapter 5)  (Read 9702 times)

Tortellini

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alloy of Law (Chapter 5)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »
I actually thought there was no way of getting new mistwraiths - at least under the Lord Ruler. What was there was what they had. Naturally, Sazed may have changed that. But since the Kandra are also immortal (except of course murder), it's not an immediate issue that they can't get new mistwraiths until they run out. Until then they can just recycle the spikes.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 08:13:16 PM »
I actually thought there was no way of getting new mistwraiths - at least under the Lord Ruler. What was there was what they had. Naturally, Sazed may have changed that. But since the Kandra are also immortal (except of course murder), it's not an immediate issue that they can't get new mistwraiths until they run out. Until then they can just recycle the spikes.

But the mistwraiths do breed true. Quote from Hero of Ages' epigraphs, emphasis mine:

When the Lord Ruler offered his plan to his Feruchemist friends—the plan to change them into mistwraiths—he was making them speak on behalf of all the land's Feruchemists. Though he changed his friends into kandra to restore their minds and memories, the rest he left as nonsentient mistwraiths. These bred more of their kind, living and dying, becoming a race unto themselves. From these children of the original mistwraiths, he made the next generations of kandra.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 08:46:12 AM »
Oh, so I'm totally off... :) Thanks for pointing that out!

Aashyma

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
What I found most interesting was that koloss can apparently breed with humans. I guess it makes sense, since the original founders of the species were once human. Though that's interesting - I wonder if that means kandra would be able to have children with humans, or were they too thoroughly changed?
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/Post-Questions-For-Brandon-Sanderson-Here/td-p/354645/page/3
^
Sanderson said in this interview that Kandra are forbidden from assuming human bodies after the origin.
Combine that with the fact that new kandra are formed by piercing a mistwraith with spikes infused with allomantric powers and you've reduced the likelihood of new kandra to a minimum.

rcfleming

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
In this thread http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/647-alloy-of-law-chapter-3-spoilers/

It's stated that Brandon might have changed the assuming human bodies prohibition, which makes sense with the kandra missionaries.