Author Topic: Does anyone remember this series?  (Read 3232 times)

hubay

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Does anyone remember this series?
« on: August 12, 2011, 12:15:13 AM »
So, I'm trying to remember the name of this series I read as a child. I believe it was a trilogy, but I don't remember the fine points so I'll just give out random details and hope someone recognizes them.

The main character wins a crown at the very beginning of the book by beating someone at riddles. He can then use this crown to win the hand of a princess (her father promised her to whoever returned it to him). He then decides to travel north to see some master of ... something. But the master doesn't help him, because it's actually an impersonator. The real master is a harpist or something at the impersonator's court.

The second book involves these creatures coming from the sea that can take different shapes. The princess gets captured by them and as a result learns to change shape too.

The main man completes a variety of trials that get him a star-sword and other things, which basicly prove he's the heir to the master from the north. He also learns to take different shapes, or something like that.

The end of the series is when he fights the impersonator on top of a tower, and defeats him by taking the shape of wind. He lets the imposter live.

Anyways, I really don't remember many of the details, but I do remember loving the series. Is this ringing any bells with anyone?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone remember this series?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:12:40 AM »
No. Sounds totally weird.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:29:47 AM »
Haha, thanks anyways. I put up a thing on Goodreads but I didn't get a response yet; thought I'd see what you guys came up with.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:17:02 PM »
This is the Riddle Master of Hed series by Patricia McKillip. I think it is currently sold as all three books in one volume, but it was originally done as three books: The Riddle Master of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire, and Harpist in the Wind.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »
Hah! Thanks Sigyn. I'll have to pick it up at the library now.