Author Topic: The Elendel Daily  (Read 5395 times)

hubay

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The Elendel Daily
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »
Is there a way to get this awesome-looking paper, if I don't go to comic-con or polaris? I would probably be willing to pay a few dollars to get a pdf.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
Re: The Elendel Daily
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »
Peter says they'll be selling them on brandonsanderson.com. But I have no idea what the timetable for that would be. I'd imagine they'd be there after Polaris and ComicCon, since they're already printed.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
There will be options down the line. Peter can say more when they're ready.

It's cool though, huh?  ;D

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »
It's awesome. I think I will definitely be  buying one.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 05:49:06 AM »
Yeah I think they said they'll produce posters. I would prefer a newspaper type feel for a copy. One of these years I'll get to comic-con!

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:13:17 AM »
Well it's free on Tor.com, now – check it out!

My favorite bit is the ad for allomancers. Feruchemists are available for hire only if you give them advance warning, of course.

I also liked the Octant – an eight-day week.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:51:49 AM »
"Newsworthy Content for Every Octant" isn't a calendar reference. Look more closely for another clue.

But... I can't actually remember if there's an 8-day week. Sounds kinda Pratchetty...  ;D

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:57:18 AM by Inkthinker »

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »
Ah, pity. I figured it was a weekly paper, for some reason. Probbably because I work at one, of course...And here's me hoping that elendel uses a hexadecimel number system.

I suppose the city or empire is divided into 8 sections or something?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:06 AM »
Ah, pity. I figured it was a weekly paper, for some reason.

But... but it's called The Elendel Daily. C'mon!!

My first job as an illustrator was as an editorial cartoonist for a small-town weekly. Oh, how we come full circle...

Rew

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »
Elendel is divided into 8 sections isn't it?

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:50 AM »
But... but it's called The Elendel Daily. C'mon!!

Ooh, yeah, that's a facepalm.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »
Yeah I'm glad they put it up for everyone. Here's the link.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/07/mistborn-fans-dont-forget-to-pick-up-todays-edition-of-the-elendel-daily#more

alloy alloy alloy alloy alloy alloy - maybe now my brain won't type a "W" at the end.

whynaut

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:50 PM »
This was actually a fun read and much could be gleaned from it.

The fact that hiring a feruchemist needs an appointment shows that feruchemists are likely much more rare than allomancers now.  This is likely because all the true feruchemists were killed and the ones now probably came from people with recessive feruchemical genes.

Ironeyes is an odd connection.  Sanderson has hinted that Marsh may be alive, but what are the odds that people would connect him to his old nickname?  Coincidence?

The woman seeing her dead husband save her seems to imply that more Inquisitors are being made, but by whom?  Could this be why allomancers are being kidnapped?

Life Across the Ocean? shows that we will likely be introduced to the people of the southern hemisphere.  If they have a different magic system, the "mystical Unkown Metals", then perhaps it could explain the Vanishers?

Everything said by Allomancer Jak is likely a lie.  In fact, I doubt there is even a real person named "Allomancer Jak".  Still, his story at least shows that koloss still exist and in tribes.  And if only one generation of using old spikes could create someone as sophistocated as Human, imagine how sophisticated koloss may be after three hundred years of using them.  They may even be able to create weapons of as "incredibly fine make" as Jak claims.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
The fact that hiring a feruchemist needs an appointment shows that feruchemists are likely much more rare than allomancers now.  This is likely because all the true feruchemists were killed and the ones now probably came from people with recessive feruchemical genes.

Actually, I think that's because the feruchemists need advance warning to make sure their metalminds have enough charge.

Ironeyes is an odd connection.  Sanderson has hinted that Marsh may be alive, but what are the odds that people would connect him to his old nickname?  Coincidence?

He has large metal spikes driven through his eyes that are quite prominent and probably the thing everyone who ever sees him notices the most.  The connection from that to "Ironeyes" seems quite obvious.

The woman seeing her dead husband save her seems to imply that more Inquisitors are being made, but by whom?  Could this be why allomancers are being kidnapped?

Actually, I think that was probably a Kandra.  Also, I think that the "Faceless Immortals" are the Kandra.  Their genuine hemalurgic spikes (which every last one of them has) make it easy for Sazed to communicate with them, explaining the "Hands of Harmony" bit perfectly; their shapeshifting abilities explain why they would be "faceless"; they've always been immortal.  Everything fits.

Life Across the Ocean? shows that we will likely be introduced to the people of the southern hemisphere.  If they have a different magic system, the "mystical Unkown Metals", then perhaps it could explain the Vanishers?
Unless another Shard has shown up, I think we've already seen every magic system on Scadrial.  As for additional metals in the existing magic systems, that would negate the emphasis on 16 from the original trilogy and wouldn't make sense with the reveals we got from the few people who did get full knowledge of the entire system through Shard use.  The only "unknown" metals that might show up are the various alloys of the god metals, and those could only come from Sazed's intervention.

Everything said by Allomancer Jak is likely a lie.  In fact, I doubt there is even a real person named "Allomancer Jak".  Still, his story at least shows that koloss still exist and in tribes.  And if only one generation of using old spikes could create someone as sophistocated as Human, imagine how sophisticated koloss may be after three hundred years of using them.  They may even be able to create weapons of as "incredibly fine make" as Jak claims.
Yeah, it seems clear to me that the whole thing is a fabrication designed to help sell the paper with just enough grounding in reality to give it plausibility.  The hinting at continued production of new koloss through spiking might be no more than a reference to ancient legends, or it might contain a kernel of modern truth, I have no idea.

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 11:11:34 PM »

Yeah, it seems clear to me that the whole thing is a fabrication designed to help sell the paper with just enough grounding in reality to give it plausibility.  The hinting at continued production of new koloss through spiking might be no more than a reference to ancient legends, or it might contain a kernel of modern truth, I have no idea.

When Sazed ascended he changed the Koloss. They are no longer Hemalurgic creations but a new race that breads true.