Author Topic: ARC The Alloy of Law  (Read 2781 times)

fireflyz

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
ARC The Alloy of Law
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
Hey Peter,
  I was just wondering if book sellers could request ARC for The Alloy for Law?  I'm good friends with mylocal bookstore owner.  I know she was able to get an ARC for Way of Kings and after reading it she ordered copies for her store.  Full disclosure, I was able to read it too :-)  I also bought a hardcover copy from her.  I do that for authors I really like as it supports small bookstores, the author, and the fantasy genre in general.  Besides with Way of Kings you HAVE to buy the hardcover.  The artwork that goes with the story is simply amazing.  Thanks in advance for the information.
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: ARC The Alloy of Law
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
As a bookseller at Waldens I was never able to actually request a specific ARC.  Of course I never really bothered contacting Tor publicity.  You may want to jump online and find the email for publicity/review copy queries.

Just a fair bit of warning though, I had trouble getting my foot in the door at Tor as a reviewer.  And I already knew Brandon's publicist from setting up ridiculously awesome signings.  It wasn't until both JV Jones and John Brown personally recommended my blog that Tor suddenly said "Yay let's send you everything!"  It was a joyous day.  Now the Tor publicity department really likes my blog, and I email back-and-forth with them all the time.

I don't know if Peter will give you any additional/different info.  I do know that Tor gets flooded with requests for ARCs of their big authors, and a lot of times they can't accommodate all the requests.  I mean, I got mine, but I requested it in January...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:53:59 PM »
A number of booksellers are getting copies. They should probably ask Tor. We have some copies ourselves but haven't decided yet what to do with them (besides taking some to local booksellers in Utah).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fireflyz

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:26:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I'll let her know to try to get in touch with TOR.  I just remembered last year Brandon posting a link on his site for book store owners to get ARC's for WOK.  I was surprised she got one because she's a rather small store.  Having said that, she's also the only sci-fi/fantasy book store in a college town so that definitely helps.  I'll pass along the info.  Thanks for the quick feedback!
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan