Departments > Books

Robin Hobb

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bookstore Guy:

--- Quote from: Peter Ahlstrom on July 12, 2011, 10:14:13 PM ---Steve's objections to Dragon Keeper seemed symptomatic of the split and made me wonder whether it would be more satisfying when followed immediately by its second half. But then again, she did just come off the Soldier Son books, which I just could not do. Writers change over time, some for the better and some for the worse.

--- End quote ---

It's true.  I really wonder what my experience would have been had I read both part 1 and 2 as one book like Hobb intended.  But see that's the problem isn't it?  As a reviewer I don't really get that opportunity.  Neither does the reader if they pick up book one right away.  If I have to read both parts together to enjoy the actual story, isn't that a huge problem?  It's a serious bummer.

But yeah, follow Peter's advice on this one.  Or just read Adrian Tchaikovsky and call it good!

Peter Ahlstrom:
Yes. It's a serious and huge problem. That is why I do not approve of the Blackout/All Clear award nominations.

Bookstore Guy:

--- Quote from: Peter Ahlstrom on July 13, 2011, 05:52:02 PM ---Yes. It's a serious and huge problem. That is why I do not approve of the Blackout/All Clear award nominations.

--- End quote ---

THANK YOU!  I thought I was the only one bothered by it (even though I predicted it would happen on my blog).

mtbikemom:
Lord T. asked about Hobbs's content, which none of you fine gentlemen seemed to address, but about which I am most happy to chime in.  I have nearly-Victorian sensitivities, so keep that in mind.  I don't mind a bit of sex and violence in literature, in small doses, as long as there are believable consequences or at least some realism.  I remember some intense sexual situations in the Liveship trio that were shocking to me, with some brutality that bordered on the explicit and gratuitous.  There were eventual long-term consequences, if I remember correctly, but I think there was more insensitivity to the female anatomy than I expect from a woman author.  Girls do not normally enjoy their first sexual intercourse experience, people, no matter how many authors write the usual nonsense to the contrary!  (But who wants to read about that?)  There were believable elements of Stockholm syndrome and other intriguing psychological elements, but I do remember feeling a bit soiled after reading the whole thing.  Tawny Man made it worth any trepidation, for me.  I just loved that. 

I mostly write these kinds of comments to maybe have some impact on a certain group of young aspiring writers and book critics, to maybe prompt/inspire their own investigation and critical thinking patterns.  I believe that good understanding of these sorts of content  issues contribute to the timelessness and beauty of literature in any genre.  It's because I care, children.

Bookstore Guy:

--- Quote from: mtbikemom on August 11, 2011, 08:27:40 PM ---Lord T. asked about Hobbs's content, which none of you fine gentlemen seemed to address, but about which I am most happy to chime in.  I have nearly-Victorian sensitivities, so keep that in mind.  I don't mind a bit of sex and violence in literature, in small doses, as long as there are believable consequences or at least some realism.  I remember some intense sexual situations in the Liveship trio that were shocking to me, with some brutality that bordered on the explicit and gratuitous.  There were eventual long-term consequences, if I remember correctly, but I think there was more insensitivity to the female anatomy than I expect from a woman author.  Girls do not normally enjoy their first sexual intercourse experience, people, no matter how many authors write the usual nonsense to the contrary!  (But who wants to read about that?)  There were believable elements of Stockholm syndrome and other intriguing psychological elements, but I do remember feeling a bit soiled after reading the whole thing.  Tawny Man made it worth any trepidation, for me.  I just loved that. 

I mostly write these kinds of comments to maybe have some impact on a certain group of young aspiring writers and book critics, to maybe prompt/inspire their own investigation and critical thinking patterns.  I believe that good understanding of these sorts of content  issues contribute to the timelessness and beauty of literature in any genre.  It's because I care, children.

--- End quote ---

I totally thought I did address this, and then I read my comments and see that I didn't.  I did in my mind!!

But yeah, she doesn't shy away from the sex.  It isn't Morgan, Martin or Bakker by any means, but it's there and could totally bother people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version