Author Topic: So many tiny details (some spoilers)  (Read 2240 times)

broknpieces

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
So many tiny details (some spoilers)
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:49:05 PM »
I love the way Brandon writes.  And i dont always catch every tiny detail my first read through.

I seem to remember a thread on here somewhere where Brandon (or peter or somebody) said that Brandon likes to write in such a way so that readers who arent as detailed oriented wont be lost, but still give the people who love the details hints and clues to keep them occupied and interested too and that there were even multiple levels of details to his books to satisfy different peoples attention to detail. And that got me interested and actually encouraged a few rereads where i did find things i missed, and it was a lot of fun!

I have been trying to find that thread, but cant seem to for the life of me. any thoughts? or am i just nuts?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:35:05 PM by Brenna »

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: So many tiny details
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
Start a new one.  There's plenty to find.  What makes your top ten?

The first ones on my list are the ones from Mistborn during Kelsier's planning session where Vin thinks that it would be as possible to kill the Lord Ruler as it would be to stop the mists or make the sun come up at night.

She's absolutely right.
Nature hates being reified.

broknpieces

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »
well from a broad perspective, the magic systems he develops in general are great.  from a casual read you catch that they are well thought out, make sense, and flow.  if you look deeper, theyre actually based on solid rules, theres not too much "just cause its magic".

another is vin's earring, just a silly trinket from a bother she couldnt decide if she loved or hated, but she couldnt get rid of it...

and kaladin, always managing to survive when he shouldnt, for some reason.  if you read closely you start to get an idea why

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 06:04:45 AM »
I like Kelsier's conversation with Sazed about religion.  Then you get to the end of the book and understand.

Oh, and spoilers should probably be put in the title of this topic.
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland