Author Topic: Alloy of Law Excerpt (Updated with Ch3)  (Read 28830 times)

hubay

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Allow of Law Excerpt 1
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 03:21:40 AM »
I thought I saw a blog post by Joe Abercrombie saying he was researching westerns for his next project; pretty excited about that.

I'm betting at some point in the novel Wax's decision to skim his weight non-stop will come back to bite him in the but. It might make him quicker, but it also means his muscles don't get a lot of exercise – including his heart. if he gets older that might mean his loses his strength quickly, and I foresee a scene where he loses his feruchemical bands and has to struggle moving around because he's not used to being normal-weighted.

ulysses sword

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
Very good introduction to the story.  Some things I noticed in the prologue:

Steel jacketed bullets seem like a bad idea.  The hard metal quickly degrades the gun's barrel, which is why steel cored bullets (jacketed with copper, and possibly lead) are used instead.
When going down the hole, Wax drops a bullet to support his weight.  This should probably be a cartridge (bullet, case, powder, and primer all together) unless he carried loose bullets to be used in the same way Mistborn used coins.
Wax cocks his gun twice inside of the mine, without him uncocking it (that we are told of).  Once was just before seeing the first display, then again at the end.

Also, an idea: would Marsh require atium to survive (being younger) or could he just use gold, and just be very healthy for 350 years old?

rcfleming

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=6655.msg129104#msg129104

Point two. Granting this info is . . . a little old . . . but! It also implies that in the next series, Marsh will be there! Of course this may have changed and Marsh might only be in Alloy of Law . . . if he makes an appearance.

The health storing/burning probably could extend your life a bit, but even being sick for a little while at 350 might kill you  :D

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=6655.msg129104#msg129104

Point two. Granting this info is . . . a little old . . . but! It also implies that in the next series, Marsh will be there! Of course this may have changed and Marsh might only be in Alloy of Law . . . if he makes an appearance.

The health storing/burning probably could extend your life a bit, but even being sick for a little while at 350 might kill you  :D
Also see this post.  Marsh has an initial supply of Atium that will last him for quite a while, and there's a pretty good chance Sazed would give him more when he runs out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
Very good introduction to the story.  Some things I noticed in the prologue:

Steel jacketed bullets seem like a bad idea.  The hard metal quickly degrades the gun's barrel, which is why steel cored bullets (jacketed with copper, and possibly lead) are used instead.
FMJ bullets with steel jackets do exist in our world, and it's usually a lead core, according to what our gun expert said and according to everything I can find. But yes, it's hard on a barrel. You can consider the description of the jacket a simplified one; there's probably more going on in its construction.
When going down the hole, Wax drops a bullet to support his weight.  This should probably be a cartridge (bullet, case, powder, and primer all together) unless he carried loose bullets to be used in the same way Mistborn used coins.
To the average person, even the average soldier who shoots guns all the time (and I asked one this specific question; he's served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan), the whole thing is colloquially called a bullet. Generally only gun enthusiasts refuse to call it a bullet. So sometimes in the book when it says bullet it's referring to the whole thing, even sometimes from Wax's POV.
Wax cocks his gun twice inside of the mine, without him uncocking it (that we are told of).  Once was just before seeing the first display, then again at the end.
Ah, that's probably my screwup and I'll see if I can fix it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:18:49 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 09:28:08 PM »
FMJ bullets with steel jackets do exist in our world, and it's usually a lead core, according to what our gun expert said and according to everything I can find. But yes, it's hard on a barrel.

I was in Cabella's a few weeks ago. I decided to pick up some ammo and grabbed a box that was on sale. When I noticed it was steel, I asked the guy behind the gun counter and got the same issues about the barrel given to me.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 04:47:02 AM »
I think it would be cool if Wax used spent bullet casings from his shotgun as an anchor, or even as weapons as well, pushing on them as he uncocks the shotgun. They could still be very deadly, even if they've already been used.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

ulysses sword

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »
Different issue with the same part:

Wax drops a "bullet" in the prologue, but uses a "spent bullet casing" or "bullet casing" for his jumps in chapter one.  It could be that he carries casings with him in the city, but not outside of it, but I don't see a reason why.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:27:30 AM by ulysses sword »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »
Both of them would do the job.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
Re: Allow of Law Excerpt (Updated with Ch2)
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »
I really like that Brandon introduces Bendalloy by using it so Wax and Wayne can have a private conversation, rather than in a fight. :)

Also, the idea of "allomantically inert" alloys and metals other than silver is new, but that would make sense as in previous novels silver is the only metal that they'd be likely to be making anything from, wheras in a more industrial era aluminium is likely to be much more common both as a metal and as an alloy.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Re: Allow of Law Excerpt (Updated with Ch2)
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 03:56:16 AM »
I really like that Brandon introduces Bendalloy by using it so Wax and Wayne can have a private conversation, rather than in a fight. :)

I really liked that part too.  Wayne is such a charming scoundrel.  Steris reminds me of Mr. Collins a bit.  I really hope he doesn't marry her.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Alloy of Law Excerpt (Updated with Ch2)
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 04:19:56 AM »
talk about Mundane Utility (warning TVTropes link, do not click if you have anything important that needs doing today.)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 04:49:43 AM »

Also, the idea of "allomantically inert" alloys and metals other than silver is new, but that would make sense as in previous novels silver is the only metal that they'd be likely to be making anything from, wheras in a more industrial era aluminium is likely to be much more common both as a metal and as an alloy.

I agree totally. This is the best part of Brandon, the fact that he can take a magic system and think of unique and sometimes even strange ways that it can be used without being used to kill armies and subjugate the masses.

I'm also happy that he had the "allomantically inert" alloys, because it sort of pissed me off that steel/iron could work on all metals. I thought that there should be some metals that can't be pushed/pulled, just like a magnet doesn't attract/reject all metals
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
I think "Mundane Utility" would be more like Wayne using bendalloy to give himself an extra five minutes of sleep, or preparing food "instantly" (to the outside observer, anyhow). In this case, they're using it to pass along vital information without the other party knowing.

Fear not though, there's plenty of uses for bendalloy to come.